View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yayo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] bad system update broke my X server Reply with quote

Hello! I did the usual system update yesterday night, and except for a pcsxr in @preserved-rebuild which keeps failing to recompile (minor issue at this point), everything was fine as usual. Today I booted my pc and X failed to start. I'm now trapped in a console only pc, using links to enter the forums and typing this msg. My /var/log/Xorg.0.log says "intel: module ABI major version (20) doesn't match the server's version (23)". I did a quick search with links and I read something on the xorg-drivers changelog page about some drivers dropped or something. Is there someone who can healp me to understand what happened exactly, and how to easily revert the changes (downgrade) so to get a working pc again and then be free to perform a better bugtracking? My make.conf VIDEO_CARDS setting are "intel i965 radeon radeonsi". I changed nothing, just did the system update as usual. Keep in mind that I'm having big troubles even in doing copy/paste (not even the mouse is working here, what a mess... gh!). Any suggestion is welcome. thanks.

Last edited by yayo on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:42 pm; edited 6 times in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you loading Intel driver from xorg.conf?

Why you have radeon listed, do you have hybrid graphics?

Did you run emerge @x11-module-rebuild?
yayo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ has a 10-evdev, 20-backlight, 20opengl, 25-fonts, 30-composite and 50-synaptics .conf files. Except for the backlight conf there's no other video setting. (Since it's 2 years I'm using this pc it seems that so far it was not required, I guess...). This one is a laptop with radeon R5M230 and, if I understood correctly, an embedded intel which must be turned on to get the radeon working (cause it pipes the signal or something). If this is what you mean with hybrid, yes it is. And no, I did not run @x11-module-rebuild, I didn't even know about it. I did not notice any msg about it. Should emerge have noticed me about rebuilding the modules, or is it something I'm supposed to know and to remember by myself? Is it possible that the @preserved-rebuild msg about pcsxr covered the x11-module-rebuild one at the end of the update? Anyway I did a test with a pretend otion and in fact is giving me an update on the intel module. I'm going to try now and I'll report the result in some minutes.
yayo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, solved!
emerge @x11-module-rebuild fixed it.

But I didn't know nothing about it and emerge didn't give me any x11-module warning. Is it possible? Maybe the @preserved-rebuild message covered it? Sadly pcsxr fails to compile, so I cannot fix it, and I keep having that preserved-rebuild warning at every update. : /
I would like to understand if it's been my mistake or something else, just to avoid it happening again. Thanks.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yayo wrote:
But I didn't know nothing about it and emerge didn't give me any x11-module warning. Is it possible? Maybe the @preserved-rebuild message covered it?

yayo ... nothing will trigger an @x11-module-rebuild, you just have to hope that x11-drivers/* get bumped at the same time, or remember to run this should any x11-drivers/* not be included in the update.

yayo wrote:
Sadly pcsxr fails to compile, so I cannot fix it, and I keep having that preserved-rebuild warning at every update. : /

It is likely that this is due to media-video/ffmpeg-3.2. transition (based on the fact that games-emulation/pcsxr has an ffmpeg useflag).

best ... khay
yayo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understood what you mean, (my English needs improvement :P ), but if I got it correctly you're saying it's nothing usually should happens, like an incident. So it's not my mistake. Well I hope so.
I have a set of printed papers I made for myself with all the informations about system update, kernel update, system settings and other stuff. Anytime I find something new that I don't know, I write down a note. I'll add a line about this x11-module-rebuild, just in case... If one day something like this will happen again (hopefully not) I'll try this too before going to panic. :P
And about the pcsxr I'll wait for the mantainers to fix the link with ffmpeg.

Meanwhile I'll mark the topic as solved.
Thanks guys! : )
yayo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaand... I'm here again! : P

I don't know why but I suspected that something like this was going to happen... : /
Last time I avoided to do depclean after update. I waited for some days to verify that anything was okay.

I did another system update yesterday and this time I did also --depclean.
In the list of removable packages that emerge gave me, there was also the xf86-video-intel package.

I supposed the drivers have been merged/embedded somewhere else and that this was the reason of all that mess, and also why emerge consider it no longer protected, so that it was safe to remove that very version/package.
Wrong. Of course. -_-'
Well, it was weird that there was no other versions listed as protected (you know, with version number written in green). But how can I know if someone has reordered things in different ways or something?

Today the system was still stuck in text/console mode.

Calling @x11-module-rebuild no longer provided me an intel driver to rebuild (why? was it not listed in the video-drivers system variable just for that purpose?), and I've been forced to re-emerge it manually.
I've been lucky to find out the package name easily making "emerge --search intel", because I really cannot remember all the system libraries correct fullnames. So I reinstalled it and now it's working again.

But now the package is manually installed (it is in the @world list).
Why am I supposed to put the needed video drivers in a system variable in order to get them managed by the system itself, if this is not going to work?
Why am I asked to used depclean to "safely" remove packages if even this is not going to work (even more with such important drivers)?

Well, I understand and I agree that the system is tested, powerful, fully functional, and that there are just random accidental mistakes and such... I'm not gonna yelling at people doing hard work every day to provide me such complex system for free... I would like to thank you all instead.

But something went definitely wrong with the update this time, and while it's ok for it to happens for software like game emulators, it's not for video drivers. (You know, it's a very-very-important part of the system. : P )

Could someone help me to understand where to put my hands (if it's possible) to get the intel package still automatically managed by the system according to the video_cards variable, and not manually installed, nor provided as a removable package any time I do depclean?
Thanks, and sorry for bothering you again.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove any xorg.conf that enables the intel driver and let your gpu be driven by modesetting instead.

"intel i965" no longer pulls in the broken xf86-video-intel driver.
yayo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"locate xorg.conf" gives me this list of files:
Code:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-backlight.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20opengl.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/25-fonts.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-composite.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
/usr/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions/files/xorg.conf.vbox
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-quirks.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf
/usr/share/doc/xorg-server-1.19.2/xorg.conf.example.bz2
/usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.bz2
/usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.d.5
/usr/share/portage/config/sets/xorg.conf

The only ones that seems to make sense to me as xorg.conf files are the ones in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and maybe (?) the ones in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/.
No one of them contains the word intel, except for the 20-backlight.conf which say:
Code:

Driver "intel"
   Option "Backlight" "intel_backlight"

I guess you're referring to this one. I'm gonna try to move it in some other folder.
And I guess I also have to manually remove the xf86-video-intel I manually installed to test if it works, right?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.
yayo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I moved the file temporary somewhere else, unmerged the xf86-video-intel, and reboot.
Seems to work fine so far. So I guess it's solved.

Do I need to change the VIDEO_CARDS variable too, or must it remain as it is ("intel i965 radeon radeonsi")?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why radeon*? Anyway, if you are happy with modesetting, and Intel is your only GPU, you would be safe setting it to "" (not the same as not setting it at all, that would install all the video drivers).
yayo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I previously said:
yayo wrote:
This one is a laptop with radeon R5M230 and, if I understood correctly, an embedded intel which must be turned on to get the radeon working (cause it pipes the signal or something). If this is what you mean with hybrid, yes it is.

I don't remember exactly why both radeon and radeonsi are required, it's been 2 years now since I got this new laptop and went mad trying to get the video cards working... But I remember someone saying me that this one is a mixed-system (probably because it's a laptop), where the radeon card is attached to an existing intel small gpu (maybe embedded into the moderboard), which must be turned on because it pipes the signal. So the solution that people gave me in the IRC channel that time has been to add both intel and radeon driver.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I overlooked that. Then keep it as-is. If you drop radeonsi, it would pull in all the radeon drivers instead (r200, 300, 600).
yayo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you asturm! : )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: