View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: freetype upgrade changed Luxi Mono font in gvim? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I've been working while I have an emerge update running. I've been using the Luxi Mono 11 point font in gvim just about forever. It suddenly changed appearance rather dramatically, and I'm not too happy with it. The only likely suspect that I see in the updates that have finshed so are is freetype (media-libs/freetype-2.6.3-r1 to media-libs/freetype-2.7.1-r2).

Anyone else run into this or have an idea what that's about? I recall it took me forever to find a fixed width font I liked.

Thanks.
Tom

Last edited by tld on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here: https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/subpixel-hinting.html

/usr/share/doc/freetype-${PV}/CHANGES.bz2 explains how to go back to the old mode for fonts that haven't been kept up to date.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll check it out and post back what I find.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That CHANGES doc wasn't too clear to me as far as the FREETYPE_PROPERTIES environment variable, but I was able to figure out that I could get the old appearance of that font back with:

Code:
export FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=truetype:interpreter-version=35

I'm going to see how some other mono fonts look with the new mode first however. Thanks!

Tom
jesus.rodriguez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: freetype upgrade changed Luxi Mono font in gvim? [SOLVED Reply with quote

tld wrote:
I've been working while I have an emerge update running. I've been using the Luxi Mono 11 point font in gvim just about forever. It suddenly changed appearance rather dramatically, and I'm not too happy with it. The only likely suspect that I see in the updates that have finshed so are is freetype (media-libs/freetype-2.6.3-r1 to media-libs/freetype-2.7.1-r2).

Anyone else run into this or have an idea what that's about? I recall it took me forever to find a fixed width font I liked.

Thanks.
Tom

Hi Tom:

I had the same issue in my system and after read some documentation and forums (mostly Arch Linux) I created an small script in profile.d directory to define the freetype settings:

Code:

# /etc/profile.d/freetype2.sh

# Subpixel hinting mode can be chosen by setting the right TrueType interpreter
# version. The available settings are:
#
#     truetype:interpreter-version=35  # Classic mode (default in 2.6)
#     truetype:interpreter-version=38  # Infinality mode
#     truetype:interpreter-version=40  # Minimal mode (default in 2.7)
#
# There are more properties that can be set, separated by whitespace. Please
# refer to the FreeType documentation for details.

# Uncomment and configure below
export FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-version=35"

# Possible values were 0 (disabled), 1 (Infinality) and 2 (minimal).
export FT2_SUBPIXEL_HINTING=2

khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, jesus, et al ...

I wonder if this isn't also the cause of my terminal (urxvt ... with xft enabled) being sluggish (noticably so). I've never had snappy graphics (this machine is from 2006, and has an intel mobile 945GM ... eeeww), but it was tolerable ... until this latest xorg/freetype/mesa update. A typical 'emerge -pvq <atom>' will print the output, and then hang for 4, 5, perhaps 6, seconds until the prompt returns. Similarly (though not consistantly) vim, or man, or less, will take seconds to load a file, or manpage. Perhaps you've not noticed this (because you have modern graphics chips), but maybe some else has seen similar sluggishness? I should probably test the above before asking, but before I do so, and before I rollback all packages, I thought I'd throw this out there (in case others experienced similar). Also, it's only the terminal, other 'gui' apps (palemoon, mupdf) don't seem to be effected.

I did try tweeking my .Xresources (removing Xft.hinting, etc), and attempted to downgrade x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel but the previous version now fails to build with the current stack .... oiii. Also, I'm using 3.12.70-ck and so immediatly suspect =x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.99.917_p20170216. Annoyingly, it's only in the past few weeks I resolved the issues I had with the previous update :P

best ... khay
jesus.rodriguez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
Tom, jesus, et al ...

I wonder if this isn't also the cause of my terminal (urxvt ... with xft enabled) being sluggish (noticably so). I've never had snappy graphics (this machine is from 2006, and has an intel mobile 945GM ... eeeww), but it was tolerable ... until this latest xorg/freetype/mesa update. A typical 'emerge -pvq <atom>' will print the output, and then hang for 4, 5, perhaps 6, seconds until the prompt returns. Similarly (though not consistantly) vim, or man, or less, will take seconds to load a file, or manpage. Perhaps you've not noticed this (because you have modern graphics chips), but maybe some else has seen similar sluggishness? I should probably test the above before asking, but before I do so, and before I rollback all packages, I thought I'd throw this out there (in case others experienced similar). Also, it's only the terminal, other 'gui' apps (palemoon, mupdf) don't seem to be effected.

I did try tweeking my .Xresources (removing Xft.hinting, etc), and attempted to downgrade x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel but the previous version now fails to build with the current stack .... oiii. Also, I'm using 3.12.70-ck and so immediatly suspect =x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.99.917_p20170216. Annoyingly, it's only in the past few weeks I resolved the issues I had with the previous update :P

best ... khay

I don't think that this could be related with the freetype update. Actually, the new interpreter is lighter (and faster) than the old one. Maybe your bash profile (or zsh or whatever) is too heavy or your system is swapping data to/from disk because there is not enough memory. I don't know :-/
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam...

maybe you experience the problem described here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=593340
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesus.rodriguez wrote:
I don't think that this could be related with the freetype update. Actually, the new interpreter is lighter (and faster) than the old one. Maybe your bash profile (or zsh or whatever) is too heavy or your system is swapping data to/from disk because there is not enough memory. I don't know :-/

jesus.rodriguez ... I just quit X, and tested in the console, I created the same env (tmux), tried to reproduce, and couldn't. I then su'ed and rebuilt x11-terms/rxvt-unicode, on exiting I noticed an ~/.Xauthority (naughty), removed it, started X ... and the issue is now gone. I suspect the ~/.Xauthority but it may just have been urxvt .... sorry for the noise!!

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: