Wireless client and software AP with a single Wi-Fi device
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_chany
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Wireless client and software AP with a single Wi-Fi device Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a laptop with a WiFi adapter:
Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

It works as a wireless client already on my Gentoo linux system intsalled on this laptop.

When I had installed on this laptop Arch linux, I can set it up by following this article:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Software_access_point

Then I were able to use this WiFi adapter as a wireless client and software AP.

Can it be set up as a wireless client and software AP with this single Wi-Fi device on Gentoo Linux too?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it is only software related yes. Same steps should work
paul_chany
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman_Gruber wrote:
When it is only software related yes. Same steps should work

Well, I tried to follow the steps, but at the end I fail.
What I did are followings:
Code:
emerge -aj hostapd haveged macchange

ifconfig

/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
interface=wlp3s0
ssid=someName
wpa_passphrase=password

iw dev wlp3s0 interface add wlp3s0_sta type managed 4addr on
iw dev wlp3s0 interface add wlp3s0_ap type managed 4addr on

macchanger -r wlp3s0_ap
Current MAC:   68:94:23:43:fa:8b (Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co.,Ltd.)
Permanent MAC: 68:94:23:43:fa:8b (Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co.,Ltd.)
New MAC:       a2:97:a2:55:53:be (unknown)

macchanger -r wlp3s0_sta
Current MAC:   68:94:23:43:fa:8b (Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co.,Ltd.)
Permanent MAC: 68:94:23:43:fa:8b (Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co.,Ltd.)
New MAC:       c6:aa:80:2f:da:26 (unknown)

Wi-Fi link layer
ip link set dev wlp3s0_ap up

Then I follow this:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Network_bridge
Code:

/etc/conf.d/net
# Set up the initial layer 2 bridge interface
bridge_br0="enp2s0f0"

# bridge
config_br0="192.168.1.199 netmask 255.255.255.0"
routes_br0="default via 192.168.1.254"

bridge_forward_delay_br0=0
bridge_hello_time_br0=1000

ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.br0

rc-service net.br0 start
rc-update add net.br0 default

/etc/init.d/hostapd start

* Bringing up interface wlp3s0_ap
* Starting wpa_supplicant on wlp3s0_ap ...
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant [ ok ]
* Starting wpa_cli on wlp3s0_ap ... [ ok ]
* Backgrounding ... ...
* WARNING: net.wlp3s0_ap has started, but is inactive
* WARNING: hostapd will start when net.wlp3s0_ap has started

What am I missing here??
cboldt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe missing nothing. I get the same WARNING type messages here on starting wireless network, and the things that are delayed until the network is up, are just delayed until the network comes up. When the network comes up (which it does "every time"), those other services start.

I can prove my network is up by the "route" or "ifconfig" commands.

I'm not saying your hostap is up, but the fact that startup threw warning that it hadn't started YET, does not mean it didn't start "eventually" - usually a few seconds later.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_chany ...

I can see a number of problems, the bigest of which is you're not configuring wlp3s0_ap as 'null' and are not adding to it the bridge (you're adding enp2s0f0, which just adds to the confusion). You're also setting hostapd INTERFACES to wlp3s0 rather than br0. Anyhow, before trying to address any of that one simple question, if you have enp2s0f0, then why create a phy on wlp3s0? Surely this isn't needed, if this is the case. I think (though I'm not sure) what you want is this:

/etc/conf.d/hostapd:
INTERFACES="br0"

/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf:
interface=wlp3s0
bridge=br0
ssid=someName
wpa_passphrase=password

/etc/conf.d/net:
config_enp2s0f0="192.168.1.198/24"
routes_enp2s0f0="default via 192.168.1.254"
modules_wlp3s0="!plug !iwconfig !wpa_supplicant"
config_wlp3s0="null"
rc_need_wlp3s0="hostapd"
bridge_br0="enp2s0f0"
rc_need_br0="net.enp2s0f0"
config_br0="192.168.1.199/24"
bridge_add_wlp3s0="br0"

It has been a while since I did anything with hostapd (on gentoo at least) so I may be a little rusty, but the above should setup 'wlp3s0 => br0 => enp2s0f0', though I think you also need to 'echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward' ... which you could do in preup()

HTH & best ... khay
paul_chany
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
paul_chany ...

I can see a number of problems, the bigest of which is you're not configuring wlp3s0_ap as 'null' and are not adding to it the bridge (you're adding enp2s0f0, which just adds to the confusion). You're also setting hostapd INTERFACES to wlp3s0 rather than br0. Anyhow, before trying to address any of that one simple question, if you have enp2s0f0, then why create a phy on wlp3s0? Surely this isn't needed, if this is the case. I think (though I'm not sure) what you want is this:

/etc/conf.d/hostapd:
INTERFACES="br0"

/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf:
interface=wlp3s0
bridge=br0
ssid=someName
wpa_passphrase=password

/etc/conf.d/net:
config_enp2s0f0="192.168.1.198/24"
routes_enp2s0f0="default via 192.168.1.254"
modules_wlp3s0="!plug !iwconfig !wpa_supplicant"
config_wlp3s0="null"
rc_need_wlp3s0="hostapd"
bridge_br0="enp2s0f0"
rc_need_br0="net.enp2s0f0"
config_br0="192.168.1.199/24"
bridge_add_wlp3s0="br0"

It has been a while since I did anything with hostapd (on gentoo at least) so I may be a little rusty, but the above should setup 'wlp3s0 => br0 => enp2s0f0', though I think you also need to 'echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward' ... which you could do in preup()

HTH & best ... khay

What I want is the followings.
This issue that I want to accomplish is on my laptop on which Gentoo linux is running.
At home I connect the laptop through ethernet cable to my Cable Modem, without any problem.
At school I have Wireless connection to the Internet only. At school I want to use the same WiFi adapter of my laptop to connect to the Internet and to share to my pupils the Internet through this same WiFi adapter. This is my issue here. So my mistake here is that that I want to use ethernet connection to the Internet, which is wrong in this case.
So I think ( maybe I am wrong ) that that I should setup 'wlp3s0 => br0 => wlp3s0', right?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_chany wrote:
At home I connect the laptop through ethernet cable to my Cable Modem, without any problem. At school I have Wireless connection to the Internet only. At school I want to use the same WiFi adapter of my laptop to connect to the Internet and to share to my pupils the Internet through this same WiFi adapter.

paul_chany ... if wlp3s0_sta can connect to the schools wireless, then other clients in the same locale (that might connect to wlp3s0_ap) can similarly connect (as all clients would be within range of that AP). By placing wlp3s0_ap in between you are creating a bottleneck, is there a reason why students can't connect to the same AP that your client does?

paul_chany wrote:
This is my issue here. So my mistake here is that that I want to use ethernet connection to the Internet, which is wrong in this case. So I think ( maybe I am wrong ) that that I should setup 'wlp3s0 => br0 => wlp3s0', right?

No, those interfaces are the same, you would need to use the phy. Previously you had set the ethernet device as the interface that wlp3s0_ap would use, so, you would place so wlp3s0_sta in its place. To do this you would need to create the phy in a preup(), eg:

/etc/conf.d/net:
preup() {
if [ ${IFACE} = "wlp3s0" ] ; then
  iw dev "${IFACE}" interface add "${IFACE}_sta" type managed 4addr on
  iw dev "${IFACE}" interface add "${IFACE}_ap" type managed 4addr on
fi
return 0
}

As for your machanger, you might also need to put this is preup(), but it may work by adding the following:

/etc/conf.d/net:
mac_wlp3s0_sta="random-samekind"
mac_wlp3s0_ap="random-samekind"

HTH & best

ps, no need to quote the whole post, just the section you're replying to.
paul_chany
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
paul_chany wrote:
At home I connect the laptop through ethernet cable to my Cable Modem, without any problem. At school I have Wireless connection to the Internet only. At school I want to use the same WiFi adapter of my laptop to connect to the Internet and to share to my pupils the Internet through this same WiFi adapter.

paul_chany ... if wlp3s0_sta can connect to the schools wireless, then other clients in the same locale (that might connect to wlp3s0_ap) can similarly connect (as all clients would be within range of that AP). By placing wlp3s0_ap in between you are creating a bottleneck, is there a reason why students can't connect to the same AP that your client does?
Yes, the reason is that that my pupils can not knows the WiFi password of the school, but can know WiFi password of mine WiFi AP that is running on my laptop.
paul_chany
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what I want to do is maybe best to create a software AP with hostapd on my laptop.
Then my pupils can uses their mobil phones to connect to the wireless LAN of my laptop and there reach my Moodle local site, mining that that this Moodle site is running only on my laptop and can reached only in this wireless LAN. In this case pupils should not reach the Internet at all, but only my Moodle site which is running on my laptop.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can do that. As long as you don't explicitly bridge that ap to the network (or route traffic), your AP will effectively be isolated sector.
Bear in mind that a single wifi can only work on one channel at any time, so if you want to connect to school's wifi and let the pupils connect to you, they will share school AP's bandwidth anyway.
Second device sending data at the same time would clash with the first jamming both transmissions, regardless of the access point they are talking to. If they see each other, they must wait for each other.
paul_chany
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Yes, you can do that. As long as you don't explicitly bridge that ap to the network (or route traffic), your AP will effectively be isolated sector.
Bear in mind that a single wifi can only work on one channel at any time, so if you want to connect to school's wifi and let the pupils connect to you, they will share school AP's bandwidth anyway.
Second device sending data at the same time would clash with the first jamming both transmissions, regardless of the access point they are talking to. If they see each other, they must wait for each other.
So then if I want to allow for my pupils to connect to my laptop's own wireless LAN, then I must disconnect laptop's WiFi connection to school AP's first. Right?
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong. You can stay connected yourself. However, your MASTER and your STA interfaces refer to the same physical device, which can only use one frequency at any time. Using this feature you end up with 2 networks in close proximity sharing the same medium, so all machines connected to either of those networks will compete for bandwidth.
Depending on your use case this may or may not be an issue. E.g. if you're worried about bandwidth on the connection to the outer world, that distant connection is likely to be the bottleneck anyway, so there is no problem. Your pupils can't access it.
However, if you transfer a lot of data within your private sector, you may just as well jam the main network because you're sharing the same channel. In this case it won't be a problem for you (you are in a single room = excellent signal strength), but you may be a problem for other people trying to use the main AP over slightly larger distance, or separated by a wall.
Something to be aware of. Wifi is a bad neighbour for wifi.

On the other hand, if you decide to disconnect yourself, you will be able to pick another frequency. If you go 6 channels away from other networks, your frequencies will not overlap. Something around 12 channels in case of N networks.
In this case those networks will NOT share the same medium even if they are in the same room, which means each of those networks can have all of it's bandwidth for itself. But you have to find another way to reach out to the internet. Like wire yourself or somethin'
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: