Upgrade from 4.9 to 4.10: Macbook Pro stuck at boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azimoth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Upgrade from 4.9 to 4.10: Macbook Pro stuck at boot Reply with quote

hi everyone,

I'm using an early 2011 MacBook Pro with a EFI Stub kernel and dm-encrypted drive. As long as I stay with kernel 4.9.* everything works fine, but no 4.10.* kernel so far got me any further than the blank screen at the beginning of the boot process (if it was booting into OSX this is where the Apple logo would appear or, as ususal, the linux kernel should take over).

I think this is still before anything considering the harddrive is loaded. If I remove the new config and .efi file from the EFI partition and put the .old files back into place, everything is up and running again.

The CPU in this machine is an "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz".

What has changed from linux 4.9.* to linux 4.10.* that might explain this behaviour using the exact same kernel config?

And what parts of the kernel config would be helpful?

Thanks in advance!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azimoth,

Azimoth wrote:
What has changed from linux 4.9.* to linux 4.10.* that might explain this behaviour using the exact same kernel config?

Taken literally, you can't use the exact same kernel config in two different kernels.

You can migrate from one to the other.
Copy the .config file over.
In the new kernel, run
Code:
make oldconfig
and answer the questions.
Either read the help - press ?, or follow the recommended answer. That's the capital letter in the list of permitted responses.

Do read the help, the recommended answer might not be right for you.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Azimoth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Sakakis's genup script or buildkernel script for kernel updates, so I assume, this is handled correctly (it has worked from kernel 4.4 through 4.9). As suggested by iamben in the #gentoo irc chat I tried compiling the kernel with built-in i915 module (the idea was to see where things go wrong), but this did not change anything.

So I assume something's wrong when the initramfs should take over the boot process.

Is there a way to find out what has changed with kernel 4.10 especially regarding EFI and initramfs stuff?
Was there a new menuconfig option added defaulting to a, in my case, wrong position?
Was an existing option changed, so my config does not do what it's supposed to do anymore?

PS: This is what my .config looks like https://paste.pound-python.org/show/BUi2gafyDrzt5ahYcGjC/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: