View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: [Solved] KDE / plasma5 window hangs/lags/freezes Reply with quote

I have held off moving to KDE / plasma5 for a long time, but some time ago made the move on my laptop in the form of Kubuntu 16.10. I've been quite happy with that so decided it was time to take the plunge on my Desktop (Gentoo system), unfortunately things are not so good.

Everything starts and runs fine, but I am seeing frequent freezes, possibly just redraw problems, but where as I have seen many reports like this where everything freezes together (often with the exception of just the mouse pointer) I have not found anything that matches the symptoms I am experiencing.

Frequently - (multiple times in a minute) things freeze, but independently of one another. For example the clock on the panel may freeze and the menu / launchers all be dead, but other windows will be fine. Whilst at other times what I am doing in another window, switch tabs, type etc will freeze. All these freezes are temporary - they unfreeze after a few seconds and continue as normal for some time.

Often trying to close windows results in them freezing, i just minimise them and then they disappear from a few seconds later.

As an example, just now i switched to an active dolphin window to check the versions in the help->about dialog against those on my Kubuntu system, as soon as i clicked the help menu it froze, the menu appearing several seconds later.

The results:

KDE Frameworks 5.29.0
Qt 5.6.2 (built against 5.6.2)
The xcb windowing system

My kernel is 4.9.6-gentoo-r1 but I am seeing the same symptoms if I run the previous (4.4.6-gentoo) kernel which is fine under my kde4 build.

Any ideas? Let me know if I can provide any more info help diagnose.

Last edited by dan2003 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've omitted the most important information in such cases, which is the GPU driver in use.

If you use Intel, you may be one of the unfortunate souls where xf86-video-intel is broken. Switch to the modesetting driver.
dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
You've omitted the most important information in such cases, which is the GPU driver in use.

If you use Intel, you may be one of the unfortunate souls where xf86-video-intel is broken. Switch to the modesetting driver.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

[ 5.712] (II) intel(0): Using Kernel Mode Setting driver: i915, version 1.6.0 20160919
[ 5.713] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[ 5.714] (--) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) HD Graphics 2000
[ 5.714] (--) intel(0): CPU: x86-64, sse2, sse3, ssse3, sse4.1, sse4.2, avx; using a maximum of 4 threads
[ 5.714] (II) intel(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no gles2 use flag as per https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Plasma_5_upgrade#Delayed_response_of_K_Menu.2C_krunner_etc._after_upgrade_to_Qt_5.6.
I have also tried all of the compositor rendering options - open GL2,3 and xrender, with not noticeable difference.

Sorry to be so brief - it's quite tedious to use in the current state and I have to boot back into my KDE4 build to get on with my day job.
dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having grimmed and beared it for a few hours it became obvious the problem was io related, and from there a simple iotop led me to google balloo file extractor, to which the solution has been :

balooctl disable

logout

log back in

its not been long but so far so good, ill mark this as solved.
dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks of all day use and this problem have not recurred since disabling balloo.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're using Gentoo, you also have the option to set USE=-semantic-desktop and wipe it from your computer. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: