Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dual monitors and Display Manager between both screens.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alinefr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Dual monitors and Display Manager between both screens. Reply with quote

It took me a while to figure out this, and this is plain simple to solve. So I think I should share it.

I have two monitors. My monitor laptop and a bigger lcd screen as a second monitor. I like to use both screens, usually my laptop monitor keeps a music player like Spotify and my main work keeps in the bigger screen. Xorg starts with my second monitor in the right side of the laptop monitor. The problem is, my Display Manager (I use Slim) have the user/password prompt just in the middle, between both screens. There are a lot of resources in the web but most of then deals in old fashion way (xinerama, full old xorg.conf). But there is a easier and better way.

Nowadays xrandr can be configured straight in xorg.conf.d/*. But I could not find xrandr's "--same-as". So I used absolute positional.

Code:

cat 60-edp-1-monitor.conf
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "eDP-1"
    Option "PreferredMode" "1366x768_60.00"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    Option "Position" "0 0"
EndSection

Code:

cat 61-hdmi-1-monitor.conf
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "HDMI-1"
    Option "PreferredMode" "1360x768_60.02"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    Option "Position" "0 0"
EndSection

The resolution is nearly the same in both monitors, so "Position 0 0" in both gives me clone mode in my Slim DM.

And I've added in my startup WM (I use Awesome WM, and x11-misc/dex to interpret *.desktop files):
Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=/usr/bin/xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode 1360x768 --right-of eDP-1
Comment=primitive command line interface to RandR extension
Type=Application
Name=xrandr

This should work in most DMs, with any WM. If you use .xinitrc, you could add 'xrandr' command to it.
Also, if the resolution in both monitors are very different, you may have to adjust the "Position" argument to have the login/password in the center screen in both monitors.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: