Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
V490 can't successfully boot any gentoo install media.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibtim13
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: V490 can't successfully boot any gentoo install media. Reply with quote

I've been running gentoo on sparc64 for a long long time and never had a problem with an install before. I have a handful of Ultra2's and an E4500 that have been running gentoo for well over a decade. I recently came into possession of a V490 and tried to install gentoo only to run into walls at every turn (in some ways literally, I had to run a 240V circuit in my house just to turn the thing on).

I tried the latest minimal cd (2014) and at first it kept losing the serial console, I got around that with keep_bootcon, only to run into a kernel bug with the PCI controller, which was addressed in 3.17.4, but the install CD has 3.14.14.

I then tried something I had seen suggested on the forums and tried the 2007 and 2008 install cds. All fail to boot in different ways. I've tried every trick and work-around I've seen on the internet and still I can't get them to boot.

So my main question (unless someone has installed on a V490 from the 2007, 2008, or 2014 media and already knows a solution) is, what do I need to do to build a new minimal install cd for sparc with an updated kernel?
Any documentation at all, even if it's just high level, would be helpful. It seems like if I could just bump the kernel on the existing install cd from 3.14.14 to 3.17.4 that would be enough to get around this.

Thanks
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to find a CD that boots, this maybe: https://oss.oracle.com/projects/linux-sparc/
ibtim13
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Have you tried to find a CD that boots, this maybe: https://oss.oracle.com/projects/linux-sparc/

I haven't tried another linux distro yet, though I have tried Solaris 10 and that boots fine.

Oracle's Linux claims to require sun4v, so I don't think it would boot on a sun4u system like the V490, but couldn't hurt to try I guess.

Thanks.
cb88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your box have a framebuffer? if so... you'll need to pass the correct parameter to the kernel to disable it so the console stays on the serial port I ran into this on my recent U45 install.

I had to pass video=radeonfb:off or if you have a mach64 based card video=atyfb:off

Also note that current portage seems broken on sparc64 install of kernel and such went mostly fine pciutils installed a lib in /usr wierd I said.. and then when I emerge -uDNa @world things started breaking with libs in / and /usr instead of their correct locations ... but ymmv I would suggest grabbing portage from mid last year since I don't think it was happening then and upgrade after it gets fixed.

I've had this happen on two of my boxes and someone else has confirmed on thier box with recent portage.

Also the current kernel works fine with my framebuffer... it would be nice if the autobuilds started up again maybe monthly or quarterly?
ibtim13
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb88 wrote:
Does your box have a framebuffer?

Alas, it does not. Serial console only.

Thanks for the heads up on portage.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: