View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: emerge trying to downgrade mesa to 12.0.1, it won't compile Reply with quote

Emerge is trying to downgrade mesa to version 12.0.1, which doesn't compile with clang on my system. I had version 13.0.2 keyworded so the downgrade surprised me.

Is there a discussion on what is wrong somewhere?

Is there a way to quit using clang when compiling mesa, which doesn't seem to be stable yet?
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=media-libs/mesa-13.0.2 is no longer in the tree. You can go up to =media-libs/mesa-13.0.3 or down to a 12.x series. What do you consider wrong here: that Portage wants to change to a different version, that Portage wants to go down instead of up, or that the older version cannot be built with the other packages you have installed?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a whole bunch of boxes where mesa 12.0.1 builds just fine ... using llvm-3.7.1-r3? ... what causes it to break on your machine?
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running llvm-3.9.0-r1 on an amd64 system. I am glad it works for you.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesa-12.0.1 is latest stable
mesa-13.0.2 is gone like Hu said
mesa-13.0.3 is unstable

I guess that's easy, user use a stable tree, user has unmask 13.0.2, 13.0.2 is gone, portage cannot use 13.0.3 because it is not unmask, and logically pick latest stable.
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa-13.0.3 compiles so I will use that. I will try to keep running 13.0.3 until it becomes stable and I don't have to use keyworded software. Hopefully it won't disappear from the system.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly fails for you when building mesa 12?

The problem is that what causes mesa 12 to fail could cause a later mesa 13 or 14 to fail too.

That is unless your video card is not supported by mesa 12.

I just wanted to make sure it's because of a one off hardware issue, or due to a dirty portage install somehow?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r: from thread1, featherfoot said 13.* is ok with clang, while 12.* is not.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, but other people 12.* works fine with the stable version of clang/llvm.
So what's the problem?

If the requirement is to use llvm 3.9 for something else, then that's another issue, but I was confused that the stable version of mesa and llvm/clang works for many people... and by reading the first post, it seems like llvm3.9 was installed because it was the only one that would install - but this conclusion is from trying to read between the lines...

I just wanted to ascertain whether using mesa13 was due to llvm3.7 not compiling and hence using llvm3.9. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but rather to point to either an underlying one-off portage or hardware problem on the troubled system.
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody did it again!

They invalidated my working version of mesa (13.0.3) letting me fail to compile mesa-12.0.1 yet again. As a result, I am forced to upgrade to a newer version of mesa rather than drift back to the standard, non-keyworded version.

It seems to me, that as a matter of policy, versions that are ahead of the non-keyworded versions should be left until they are older than the standard version. That way you won't waste anybody's time or break their system. The only exception that I can see that makes sense is if the particular software version displays a serious problem after it is released.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, you are forced to upgrade! Seriously, you've unmasked an ~arch package, 13.0.4 was added to tree 10 days ago.
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I keep getting chided for running keyworded software, but the standard version won't compile with my version of clang. So I went up to a version that did compile. Hopefully this will eventually become the standard version and I won't have to run keyworded versions of mesa.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most users who run ~arch do so because they intend to upgrade to ever newer versions of ~arch as those versions become available. They do not intend to wait for stable to catch up to their current position. They would derive no benefit from leaving older ~arch versions in the tree. Additionally, some packages go through many ~arch versions before a version is keyworded stable, so keeping all the ~arch versions around would mean retaining many otherwise unnecessary ebuilds. Wine tends to add many ~arch versions before it gets another stable keyword, since upstream does biweekly snapshots during the development cycle.

You are not required to upgrade or downgrade Mesa. If you like the version you have, you can keep it. Just stop trying to merge other versions until you see one you want.

Since you already know that Mesa 12 fails to build for you, why have you not masked it to prevent Portage trying to use it? As a related point, although the report might be closed as invalid, perhaps you should file a bug asking to have Mesa 12's dependencies modified to reflect that it cannot be built with the latest clang. This would force a nice dependency error if you try to build Mesa 12 while using a too-new clang.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: