Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Crossover office: Needs 32-bit X11 libs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Crossover office: Needs 32-bit X11 libs? Reply with quote

I used to use crossover office with great success, but have switched mostly to libre. I still wanted
to get crossover going to run some legacy applications.

My installed crossover 9.2.0 failed with python errors. So I installed Crossover 13, which seemed to go fine.

But when I ran cxsetup I got theis message:

Code:

how to resolve them:
Missing 32bit libX11.so.6 library: Without this library neither CrossOver nor Windows applications will work.
Missing 32bit libXext.so.6 library: Without this library neither CrossOver nor Windows applications will work.
Missing 32bit libXi.so.6 library: This library provides support for joysticks and tablets. If you don't have such a device you don't need it.
Missing 32bit libXrandr.so.2 library: This is needed to let games adjust the display resolution as needed. It is strongly recommended to install it if you plan to use games.
Missing 32bit libXxf86vm.so.1 library: This is needed to let games perform some gamma adjustments (essentially to adjust the brightness).
Missing 32bit libXcomposite.so.1 library: This is needed for most CAD-like applications and some games.
Missing 32bit libXinerama.so.1 library: This is needed if your display spans multiple screens. If your computer has a single screen then you don't need it.
Missing 32bit libXrender.so.1 library: Windows applications can work without this library, but its absence is likely to cause display artifacts.

There seems to be a common theme here that crossover requires 32-bit X, which I don't have. My understanding is that
I need to use multilib to resolve this, so I tried what was in the wiki, and got the same result.

Does anybody know what I'm supposed to be doing?

Is Crossover now broke?

Jon.

[Moderator edit: changed [quote] tags to [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Python errors did you see with Crossover 9.2.0? Where did you find a Crossover 13? How did you install it? What wiki did you follow that failed to produce better results?
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What Python errors did you see with Crossover 9.2.0? Where did you find a Crossover 13? How did you install it? What wiki did you follow that failed to produce better results?

- 9.2.0 is gone, so I can't reproduce those errors.

- Crossover 13 is still on portage, but it's actually 15.2.0 that I installed using portage.

The installation via portage went just fine, that's when I got the errors quoted above. It appears that 32-bit libraries are required.

The wiki I followed was not specific to Crossover, but instead realted to running 32-bit binaries on a 64-bit
system with multilib:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Multilib/Concepts

But following those instructions I added

app-emulation/crossover-bin abi_x86_32
and re-emerged,

To /etc/portage/package.use but got no change in behavior. So I'm doing something wrong.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

app-emulation/crossover-bin is a prebuilt binary; it does not respect USE=abi_x86_32. From looking at the ebuild, it should have caused quite a number of libraries to be required in their 32-bit forms, and Portage should have handled that for you. What is the output of emerge --pretend --verbose app-emulation/crossover-bin x11-libs/libICE x11-libs/libSM x11-libs/libX11 x11-libs/libXau x11-libs/libXdmcp x11-libs/libXext x11-libs/libXi x11-libs/libXrandr x11-libs/libXxf86vm x11-libs/libxcb?
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
app-emulation/crossover-bin is a prebuilt binary; it does not respect USE=abi_x86_32. From looking at the ebuild, it should have caused quite a number of libraries to be required in their 32-bit forms, and Portage should have handled that for you. What is the output of emerge --pretend --verbose app-emulation/crossover-bin x11-libs/libICE x11-libs/libSM x11-libs/libX11 x11-libs/libXau x11-libs/libXdmcp x11-libs/libXext x11-libs/libXi x11-libs/libXrandr x11-libs/libXxf86vm x11-libs/libxcb?

Many thanks!

Code:

Merckx Shortcuts # emerge --pretend --verbose app-emulation/crossover-bin x11-libs/libICE x11-libs/libSM x11-libs/libX11 x11-libs/libXau x11-libs/libXdmcp x11-libs/libXext x11-libs/libXi x11-libs/libXrandr x11-libs/libXxf86vm x11-libs/libxcb

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/libICE-1.0.9::gentoo  USE="ipv6 -doc -static-libs" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/libXau-1.0.8::gentoo  USE="-static-libs" 289 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/libXdmcp-1.1.2-r1::gentoo  USE="-doc -static-libs" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/libxcb-1.12:0/1.12::gentoo  USE="xkb -doc (-selinux) -static-libs {-test}" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/libX11-1.6.4::gentoo  USE="ipv6 -doc -static-libs {-test}" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/libXext-1.3.3::gentoo  USE="-doc -static-libs" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/libXi-1.7.8::gentoo  USE="-doc -static-libs" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/libXrandr-1.5.1::gentoo  USE="-static-libs" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/libXxf86vm-1.1.4::gentoo  USE="-static-libs" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/libSM-1.2.2-r1::gentoo  USE="ipv6 uuid -doc -static-libs" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R   ~] app-emulation/crossover-bin-15.2.0::gentoo  USE="cups gphoto2 gsm jpeg lcms ldap mp3 nls openal opengl png scanner ssl v4l (-capi) -doc" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 0 KiB

Total: 11 packages (11 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 289 KiB

Looks like it wouldn't change anything, just rebuild existing packages? And leave me at square 1?
This is what I'm confused -- I don't understand how to run even simple 32 bit applications legacy much less
one that calls for multiple bits of 32 bit X. In order to then run 32 bit windows applications -- multiple levels of emulation.

Jon

[Moderator edit: changed [quote] tags to [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, but I AM running all 32 bit:

Code:

Merckx Shortcuts # arch
i686

so Crossover shouldn't even be complaining.

This instead may be the key error, from the command line afert running
/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxsetup &:

Code:

cxsetup:error: Could not identify the distribution
Could not install the Unix packages

but after this complaint the cxsetup binary runs and, and produces the following output
from the "system Information" Menu item:

Code:

CrossOver Linux 15.2.0
Install location: /opt/cxoffice
32-bit OS
Desktop session:
Window manager: KWin
Locale:

Contents of /etc/os-release:
NAME=Gentoo
ID=gentoo
PRETTY_NAME="Gentoo/Linux"
ANSI_COLOR="1;32"
HOME_URL="https://www.gentoo.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.gentoo.org/support/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.gentoo.org/"

cxdiag output:
[MissingLibCapi20]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcapi20.so.3 library"
"Description"="Provides support for some ISDN cards. Very few applications need this."

[MissingLibOsmesa]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libOSMesa.so.8 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and CAD-like applications to perform off-screen rendering."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="NVIDIA Corporation"

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.26"

[Properties]
"opengl.renderer"="GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2"

[Properties]
"opengl.glsl_version"="4.50 NVIDIA"

jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more curious: /opt/bin/cxdiag --debug finds all the x libs:

Code:

Merckx Shortcuts # cd /opt/cxoffice/
Merckx cxoffice # ./bin/cxdiag --debug
found libfreetype.so.6
found libgcc_s.so.1
found libXext.so.6
libcapi20.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibCapi20]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcapi20.so.3 library"
"Description"="Provides support for some ISDN cards. Very few applications need this."

found libcups.so.2
found libdbus-1.so.3
found libfontconfig.so.1
found libgphoto2.so.6
found libgsm.so.1
found liblber-2.4.so.2
found liblcms2.so.2
found libldap_r-2.4.so.2
found libmpg123.so.0
found libopenal.so.1
libOSMesa.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibOsmesa]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libOSMesa.so.8 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and CAD-like applications to perform off-screen rendering."

found libresolv.so.2
found libsane.so.1
found libtiff.so.5
found libv4l1.so.0
found libXcomposite.so.1
found libXcursor.so.1
found libXi.so.6
found libXinerama.so.1
found libxml2.so.2
found libXrandr.so.2
found libXrender.so.1
found libxslt.so.1
found libXxf86vm.so.1
found libz.so.1
libgnutls-deb0.so.28: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libgnutls.so.30: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
found libgnutls.so.28
found libpng12.so.0
egrep 'hosts:.*mdns4' /etc/nsswitch.conf >/dev/null 2>&1 returned 256
getrlimit(RLIMIT_AS) returned 0, max=-1
default screen=0, planes=24
[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

Hu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesnow wrote:
Looks like it wouldn't change anything, just rebuild existing packages? And leave me at square 1?
This is what I'm confused -- I don't understand how to run even simple 32 bit applications legacy much less
one that calls for multiple bits of 32 bit X. In order to then run 32 bit windows applications -- multiple levels of emulation.

Yes, I expected no change. I wanted to see the ABI_X86="values" portion of those lines to confirm that the libraries were built with both 32-bit and 64-bit support. I was surprised to see that the stanza was absent, but your later post explains it: you are not even on amd64, so the reference to 32-bit, while technically accurate, is very misleading. When your only possible libraries are 32-bit, there is no reason to specifically call them 32-bit, yet Crossover did exactly that.

Unfortunately, it looks like all the Gentoo-managed bits are installed correctly. Your problem is with Crossover not understanding how to use what Gentoo has provided. I lack the experience with Crossover to help you further. Someone else might find this thread and offer advice. Sorry.
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is net-libs/libcapi installed?
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jburns wrote:
Is net-libs/libcapi installed?

No: Should it be? I don't have an ISDN card.

Hu: Sorry about the 32/64 bit mixup. I had forgotten that I decided a while ago not to upgrade
until something forced me to. I will ask crossover for help, but they have no been very gentoo-friendly in the past.

I will post what I find out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: