another time thing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: another time thing Reply with quote

well i never had an issue with time being kept till this last install. i set up this system to dual boot with win2k now both windows and gentoo will not keep the correct time...if i set the time and stay in one (even if i reboot as long as i return to that OS not the other) the time remains correct. but if i switch from one OS to the other the clock gets screwed. what would cause this...like what is it seeing from the change in OS that would confuse the system clocks.

edit:well i should have did a bit more playing around before posting this but the problem is that if i change the clock in one OS it changes the clock up rebooting in the other...so if i correct one i screw up the other..anyone have a dual boot system doing this or know how to correct it?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your CLOCK variable set to in /etc/rc.conf? Dual-booting for Windows works better with clock set to local. Among other things, Windows doesn't do time well.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: another time thing Reply with quote

rommel wrote:
well i never had an issue with time being kept till this last install. i set up this system to dual boot with win2k now both windows and gentoo will not keep the correct time...if i set the time and stay in one (even if i reboot as long as i return to that OS not the other) the time remains correct. but if i switch from one OS to the other the clock gets screwed. what would cause this...like what is it seeing from the change in OS that would confuse the system clocks.

edit:well i should have did a bit more playing around before posting this but the problem is that if i change the clock in one OS it changes the clock up rebooting in the other...so if i correct one i screw up the other..anyone have a dual boot system doing this or know how to correct it?

Why don't you use a clock server and ntpdate program to automatically set your time from cron?
My entry:
1,11,21,31,41,51 * * * * root /usr/bin/ntpdate 138.x.y.z

You can also get a similar proggie for Windows, I'm sure :)

Erik
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you wolfie...the rc.conf was the trouble...i havent run windows since april and have never tried dual booting with linux before, but setting the time to local in the rc.conf took care of the problem.
thanks again

ciao
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: