/dev/sda moved to /dev/sdb, and slow boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acidrums4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: /dev/sda moved to /dev/sdb, and slow boot Reply with quote

Hello there,

I screwed my old HP Pavilion DV2000 (had 9 years with it) so I needed to get another computer. As I'm broke and can't afford a modern one, all I could get was an also old Compaq C700.

As both this Compaq C700 and HP DV200 have a quite similar hardware, I just moved the hard disk from one to other. But (I really don't know why) the hard disk is now at /dev/sdb, not on /dev/sda. So I had to edit the grub stuff and resume partition path on kernel config to be able to boot.

Everytime I let a USB plugged on the computer while booting, there's a kernel panic. And /dev/sda still exists, but nothing is on it. If I boot onto a live USB distro, it lists the hard drive on /dev/sda.

Can't tell if this is related to the hard drive path thing, but boot time is insanely slow. Here's the output of systemd-analyze blame:
Code:

10.151s dev-sdb1.device
 6.855s polkit.service
 4.584s upower.service
 3.968s systemd-journal-flush.service
 2.789s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-d6621936\x2d0690\x2d439d\x2d8be3\x2d7e53143830b9.service
 2.613s NetworkManager.service
 1.967s dev-disk-by\x2duuid-43f68a5c\x2d464b\x2d41ef\x2d93eb\x2d1205ea8d8de6.swap
 1.897s systemd-vconsole-setup.service
 1.791s systemd-udevd.service
 1.508s systemd-fsck-root.service
 1.484s systemd-remount-fs.service
 1.171s wpa_supplicant.service
 1.170s systemd-journald.service
 1.057s udisks2.service
 1.024s home.mount
  963ms systemd-logind.service
  926ms systemd-readahead-collect.service
  899ms systemd-readahead-replay.service
  847ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
  772ms kmod-static-nodes.service
  708ms dev-mqueue.mount
  704ms tmp.mount
  495ms bluetooth.service
  470ms dev-hugepages.mount
  464ms systemd-sysctl.service
  381ms user@1000.service
  353ms avahi-daemon.service
  344ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
  239ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
  201ms systemd-timesyncd.service
  152ms systemd-update-utmp.service
  118ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
  107ms systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service
  106ms user@130.service
   35ms systemd-hostnamed.service
   24ms systemd-user-sessions.service
   15ms systemd-random-seed.service
   12ms systemd-readahead-done.service
   10ms gentoo-local-baselayout1.service
    8ms systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service
    4ms systemd-rfkill@rfkill0.service

Yep, 10 secs on 'dev-sdb1.service'. No /etc/conf.d/keymaps. What the hell? systemd-analyze critical-chain shows this:
Code:

graphical.target @1min 34.049s
└─multi-user.target @1min 34.049s
  └─getty.target @1min 34.049s

And my /etc/fstab contains this:
Code:

UUID=819d503d-ed93-435c-baad-440d90c0df67  /        ext4   noatime,defaults,errors=remount-ro   0 1
UUID=43f68a5c-464b-41ef-93eb-1205ea8d8de6  none     swap   sw                                   0 0
UUID=d6621936-0690-439d-8be3-7e53143830b9  /home    ext4   defaults,noatime,x-systemd.automount 0 2
shm                                        /dev/shm tmpfs  nodev,nosuid,noexec                  0 0
proc                                       /proc    proc   nodev,nosuid,noexec                  0 0

dmesg output can be found at http://pastebin.ca/3763634 - My very limited knowledge didn't let me see anything strange there.

I don't even know if it's for the same reason, but after booting KDE seems to crash and it goes back to SDDM login screen. After login, a popup message appears: "Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation". That didn't happen before.

Any idea about this annoying situation? Excuse me for my bad english. Any help would be appreciated. :)
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
   12.163399] EXT4-fs (sdb1): couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature incompatibilities
[   12.165818] EXT4-fs (sdb1): couldn't mount as ext2 due to feature incompatibilities

no ext4 support in kernel?

Code:
blkdid

Quote:
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/kernel-4.9.0-pf4 root=/dev/sdb1 ro init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd

change root to real_root= and to a way which is bootable, e.g. UUID, PARTUUID=. Please refer to the gentoo handbook, arch / gentoo wiki regarding the syntax.

--

Does a live-cd boots? and runs flawless?

--

Quote:
[ 0.000000] DMI: Hewlett-Packard Compaq Presario C700 Notebook PC/30D9, BIOS F.34 09/25/2008

fix your bios please

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/Compaq-Presario-C700-Notebook-PC-series/3466274/model/3559276

Quote:
F.35 Rev. A 2.1 MB Apr 9, 2010
acidrums4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kindly answer,

Roman_Gruber wrote:

Actually there is ext4 support in kernel (if not, it won't even boot at all...). I don't know why that message appears.

Quote:
change root to real_root= and to a way which is bootable, e.g. UUID, PARTUUID=.

I just did that, but everything is the same. Slow boot and KDE/X/something crashes and goes back to SSDM.

Quote:
Does a live-cd boots? and runs flawless?

Yes, as I mentioned on OP live-cd boots flawlessly. I tested Fedora, Elementary and a lightweight XFCE distro I can't recall at this moment. ~1 min between BIOS and a loaded desktop.

Quote:
fix your bios please

Going to do that, but I won't hold my breath...

Thanks again for your answer :)
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: you get that ext4 diagnostic because you did not specify the rootfstype, so the kernel tries to guess. After a few guesses, it picks ext4, which works. You could save a fraction of a second if you suppress the guessing, but that is not related to your main problem.

Roman_Gruber wrote:
Code:
   12.163399] EXT4-fs (sdb1): couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature incompatibilities
[   12.165818] EXT4-fs (sdb1): couldn't mount as ext2 due to feature incompatibilities

Why would he get messages from the ext4 driver if he had no ext4 driver in the kernel?
Roman_Gruber wrote:
Code:
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/kernel-4.9.0-pf4 root=/dev/sdb1 ro init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd

change root to real_root= and to a way which is bootable, e.g. UUID, PARTUUID=. Please refer to the gentoo handbook, arch / gentoo wiki regarding the syntax.
What do you think is wrong with his current setup, that would be right with your proposed changes? If systemd's analyze blames a systemd service, then the problem must be after the service starts, which cannot happen until after root has mounted, since the service is stored on root.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acidrums4 wrote:
Actually there is ext4 support in kernel (if not, it won't even boot at all...). I don't know why that message appears.

This is quite normal when ext4 is enabled to support ext2/ext3 in the kernel. The kernel first tries ext2. it doesn't work so it issues a message and tries ext3. When THAT doesn't work either (because the partition is really ext4 using ext4 features), the kernel issues another message and finally tries ext4 which works so no message. Don't give it another thought. The alternative is clutter your kernel with ext2 and ext3 drivers that you won't ever use. Just disregard the messages.
acidrums4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I just added
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="rootfstype=ext4"
to /etc/default/grub and that message is gone. Thanks for your answers.

But that wasn't the reason of this thread: dev-sdb1.service is still taking a ridiculous amount of time on loading...
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, can't help with systemd. Good luck!
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
OP: you get that ext4 diagnostic because you did not specify the rootfstype, so the kernel tries to guess. After a few guesses, it picks ext4, which works. You could save a fraction of a second if you suppress the guessing, but that is not related to your main problem.

Roman_Gruber wrote:
Code:

Why would he get messages from the ext4 driver if he had no ext4 driver in the kernel?
Roman_Gruber wrote:
Code:
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/kernel-4.9.0-pf4 root=/dev/sdb1 ro init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd

What do you think is wrong with his current setup, that would be right with your proposed changes? If systemd's analyze blames a systemd service, then the problem must be after the service starts, which cannot happen until after root has mounted, since the service is stored on root.

Quote:
But (I really don't know why) the hard disk is now at /dev/sdb, not on /dev/sda. So I had to edit the grub stuff and resume partition path on kernel config to be able to boot.

My motivation why I suggested to the unique adressing of real_root, aka old root.

I have read the log. Than I decided on which things I had done first.

Thanks for your feedback.

The bios update may fix for a very low chance a few of thse ACPI errors. A better solution is to Fix the DSDT

OFFTOPIC: We all know that systemd is a niche product and therefore hardly anyone has expierence with it, or know how to fix it
acidrums4
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update.

Turns out *part* of this wasn't systemd or BIOS related, but a kernel bug.

Digging into journalctl I found the following creepy line:
Code:
WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 1768 at drivers/gpu/drm/drm_irq.c:1268 drm_wait_one_vblank+0x200/0x210 [drm](

that turned out to be some bug with kernel's old Intel GPU drivers. Its weird because the late HP Pavilion DV2000 and this Compaq C700 have the same video card model (GM965/GL960) but this issue just came to the surface now.

As pointed on this freedesktop.org bug report, a workaround about that is adding "video=SVIDEO-1:d" on kernel boot command.

And voila! Magically the hard drive is back on /dev/sda, and "dev-sda1.device" (aka "dev-sdb1.device") got a more decent time (9.970s).

Now, the thing with KDE loading, allegedly crashing and going back to SDDM login screen and the "Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation" popup still happens. But another line on journalctl seems suspicious and relevant to this:
Code:
"Qt: Session management error: networkIdsList argument is NULL"

I'm gonna keep looking for this. Thank you all for your help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: