How to install over wifi?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
User917
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: How to install over wifi? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new and I don't have any working Ethernet cables available right now. I don't understand how to install over wifi, it seems like a grey area/ guessing game. I've seen and followed Shakaki's wireless install guide, but this has resulted in a lot of errors for me personally, and doesn't seem tailored to a regular install, it's also incompatible with the handbook, as the handbook assumes you are installing over ethernet which plucks up some annoyances on the way and ultimately results in several guessing games for me (and I assume other inexperienced users).

How exactly should I install over wifi? Thanks :)
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to install over wifi? Reply with quote

User917 wrote:
Hi, I'm new and I don't have any working Ethernet cables available right now. I don't understand how to install over wifi, it seems like a grey area/ guessing game. I've seen and followed Shakaki's wireless install guide, but this has resulted in a lot of errors for me personally, and doesn't seem tailored to a regular install, it's also incompatible with the handbook, as the handbook assumes you are installing over ethernet which plucks up some annoyances on the way and ultimately results in several guessing games for me (and I assume other inexperienced users).

How exactly should I install over wifi? Thanks :)

What are you using as an install media? The minimal install cd's are useless for wifi install, systemrescuecd should be preferred, then just make sure you build the requisite wifi drivers into your kernel before quitting your chroot and rebooting.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to echo what ian.au wrote, SystemRescueCd is the way to go. Five years ago I installed Gentoo onto an old laptop via only Wi-Fi using SystemRescueCd, and it was trouble-free. SystemRescueCd has the added advantage that it comes with GParted installed, so I use GParted to create and format all the partitions on the HDD, instead of using the command line.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
User917
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian.au wrote:
What are you using as an install media? The minimal install cd's are useless for wifi install, systemrescuecd should be preferred, then just make sure you build the requisite wifi drivers into your kernel before quitting your chroot and rebooting.

Yeah, I was using the minimal install. How do I install from the systemrescuecd though? Do I just follow the handbook?
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the handbook install and SystemRescueCd (which is Gentoo based and provides a nice suite of additional tools as Fitzcarraldo said above) are the best way to get new installs up and running.

Just follow the handbook and post back if you have problems.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User917, you can use any linux (and actually even several other, similar systems) as an install medium.
It's you, not the medium of choice, who's going to do all the hard job anyway. The medium is there for only one reason: to provide you with a floating platform you can use to put all the pieces in their places. Pick one that suits your needs (e.g. supports your wifi)It has no impact on the resulting system.
You will throw it away as soon as your new, shiny gentoo becomes bootable.
User917
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for clearing that up everyone. I won't give it a go for another couple of days because I actually need to do stuff haha, but I'll see what happens :)

Thanks for all the help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: