View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bendurham441
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: How to configure dwm using portage Reply with quote

Hello there,

I have just recently installed gentoo, and I am looking to get dwm working. How do I configure and recompile dwm using portage?

Thanks for any help.
Proinsias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dwm

The savedconfig USE flag is helpful
bendurham441
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I have. Sorry about how vague my previous post was. I will be more specific now. I was wondering how I recompile dwm to use a new configuration file. Would I use the ebuild command? If so, what arguments? I am using the savedconfig method, as is shown in the dwm page on the wiki. I can't figure out how to make the changes apply in gentoo. For example, a simple emerge --ask --update dwm doesn't reload the config.
Proinsias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not run dwm for a few months, been running on i3 recently. Loading it from startx it was unresponsive to the keyboard. I removed the savedconfig file from /etc/portage/savedconfig/x11-wm/dwm.... emerged dwm with:
Code:
sudo USE=-savedconfig emerge x11-wm/dwm
to try the default
then
Code:
 sudo USE=savedconfig emerge x11-wm/dwm

I could then emerge dwm with config changes again by editing /etc/portage/savedconfig/x11-wm/dwm.... and recompiling with the above command

I must have done something beyond what I was intending as whilst I can see changes in the dwm config after recompiling, now both i3 and dwm are no longer responding to the up/dowm/left/right of my arrow keys which is making life in x11 rather painful at the moment.

In trying to help I may need to open a support thread for myself now as whilst configuring dwm seems as easy as when I moved to gentoo I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment.
Proinsias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my issues were due to interrupting an update with a reboot whilst trying to play around with dwm. Sorted out my x11-base/xorg-drivers....all is well here and dwm is as configurable as always. Re-emerging dwm and editing the file /etc/portage/savedconfig/dwm-*. file works just fine.

Did you manage to get dwm to respond to config changes?
rob_dot_p
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The config.h header is called dwm-X.Y and located in
/etc/portage/savedconfig/x11-wm
Patches go into
/etc/portage/patches/x11-wm/dwm

Then you simply emerge it again and if everything works as it's supposed to, the changes are applied.
If that's what you did and it doesn't work, you ran into some sort of misbehavior but there's nothing you need to do differently.
Are you sure you have permanently set the savedconfig USE Flag?
Compare
Code:
$ equery uses dwm                           
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[             : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for x11-wm/dwm-6.1:
 U I
 + + savedconfig : Use this to restore your config from /etc/portage/savedconfig
                   ${CATEGORY}/${PN}. Make sure your USE flags allow for appropriate
                   dependencies

Was the savedconfig file(+directory) in /etc/portage/savedconfig already there (it should be) or did you create it manually(you shouldn't have to)? Maybe re-emerge without the savedconfig USE flag, delete the savedconfig file if it's still there, emerge with savedconfig, make sure that a fresh config file was created and that the USE flag is permanently set in
/etc/portage/package.use
then edit it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: