snd_hda_intel broken for >linux 4.6.4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teporgon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: snd_hda_intel broken for >linux 4.6.4 Reply with quote

I've had this problem for a while (since 4.7.0), and it actually made me switch to Slackware for a while, but eventually I longed for Gentoo again. Today I built linux 4.9.5 and installed it and unfortunately discovered I'm not free yet. Here goes:

Code:
$ dmesg | grep snd_hda_intel
[    1.882117] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: failed to add i915 component master (-19)
[  288.132582] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: azx_get_response timeout, switching to polling mode: last cmd=0x201f0500
[  289.133599] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: No response from codec, disabling MSI: last cmd=0x201f0500
[  290.135616] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: azx_get_response timeout, switching to single_cmd mode: last cmd=0x201f0500

This happens when I open any audio (e.g., a YouTube video) in Firefox on my laptop. I'm pretty sure I remember it happening with every browser I could think of. It seems to not occur upon use of mpv, mpd or anything else really that I've found.

The result of this on my end is that I lose the ability to change my volume. Whatever the volume was before, it stays that way until a reboot. Sound still plays, though, assuming the volume was already turned up. Also, if I put any other audio output device, like speakers or headphones, on the audio jack, the sound doesn't come from those (and stops coming from whatever device it was coming from before). Removing these devices will make it begin to keep making sound from the device active when the error happened.

alsamixer/amixer still pretend everything is fine, though. The only reasons I know nothing is changing are that 1) the actual volume is definitely not matching up with what I've set it to (e.g., I have the volume at 100 initially, then open a video and drop the volume to 20 but it is clearly not changing and is clearly still at 100), 2) unmuting/muting doesn't work, despite alsamixer saying otherwise, and 3) the LED on the mute button on my keyboard doesn't change, despite muting/unmuting.

I've already tried messing with probemask as per https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto since that's what has solved the problem in every other case of this in every other forum thread and mailing list thread on the Internet, but no dice.

Any help?

Edit: I feel I should reiterate that this only happened after kernel version 4.6.4. Before that, all was well. After that, it has never worked properly.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it broke in Linux v4.6.4 (and Linux v4.7.0, but v4.6.4 is easier for this purpose), and it worked in Linux v4.6.3, then you are in a very good position. You can use git bisect to search the intervening commits between v4.6.3 and v4.6.4 to find the specific commit that caused your problem. None of them look like good candidates based on the log messages and the errors you have shown so far, but I am not an expert in that area. Once you know which commit causes it, you can report a bug to the kernel developers. Regressions are typically given high priority, so you might be able to get the bad commit reverted upstream or get someone interested in fixing your problem without reverting the commit. At worst, if no one wants to revert the change upstream, you might be able to carry a local patch that reverts the bad commit.
teporgon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
If it broke in Linux v4.6.4

No, it was perfectly fine in 4.6.4. Every kernel version since then has had this problem (and it only happens for me in Gentoo).
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes a bit more sense. There are quite a few ALSA patches in v4.6.5. You say this happens only in Gentoo. Do you mean that if you build a kernel using Greg KH's Linux v4.6.5 release (commit ID bed4c611a3b80fae04d75b9f85fcaf174bac1b06), the problem is not present, but if you build a sys-kernel/gentoo-sources based on Linux v4.6.5, then the problem is present?
teporgon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
That makes a bit more sense. There are quite a few ALSA patches in v4.6.5. You say this happens only in Gentoo. Do you mean that if you build a kernel using Greg KH's Linux v4.6.5 release (commit ID bed4c611a3b80fae04d75b9f85fcaf174bac1b06), the problem is not present, but if you build a sys-kernel/gentoo-sources based on Linux v4.6.5, then the problem is present?

I haven't tried using a kernel from somewhere other than portage. I meant more that in Debian, with 4.9.0, I'm fine, so it isn't that it's globally broken in >4.6.4. I do know that sys-kernel/git-sources also had this issue, so it isn't just sys-kernel/gentoo-sources that's broken for me.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debian's kernel is almost certainly configured very differently from yours. If you see the problem with sys-kernel/gentoo-sources when using kernel v4.9.x, but not when using Debian's v4.9.x, then there may be a configuration option that is now required that was previously implicitly set correctly. Their kernel enables the new option. Yours does not. I have seen that happen to users of some other types of hardware. A previously always-enabled driver became optional and, if the user did not catch this and enable it, something stopped working in the newer kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: