Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is there any way to split a large screen into workspaces?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szatox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Is there any way to split a large screen into workspaces? Reply with quote

I've been thinking about getting one of those 4k Ultra HD displays for sake of convenience at work, but before I spend my $$ I'd like to know if there is any window manager (or maybe DE) ready for taking advantage of such a wall of a display.
I'd like to split the whole screen into several spaces, and let windows stick to them like they were separate displays. When I maximize a window, I want it to completely fill the single space instead of covering everything on that display. The number and sizes of those spaces should, of course, be configurable.
Any ideas?
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I have no experience with them (I'm periodically intrigued by the idea but too lazy to try them), but maybe you could look into manual tabbing window managers like herbstluftwm, i3 or notion.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to define virtual screens in xorg.conf to split it up. Or a slightly crazier option, have your .xsession run Xephyr with multiple windows and put everything else inside those.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly, so it may be off topic.

I use i3wm. When I open one application its always maximised. I hardly ever use the floating option, i see it as depreciated feature from windows 95 world.
When there are two or more windows opened from applications, I can define before I open them on how the screen is split or change how the are split on the fly. Usually its easier to define before I open an application on how I want it to be drawn, which space to be used. e.g. split horicontally, than open the window, next split vertically and so on.

i3wm uses a different approach as the usual windows 95 feel and like approach, aka gnome 2, kde 3 world

I do not rely on icons to start applicatons like windows 95 or windows 3.1 did. No usage for such feature. I start application with a quickstarter shell which comes with i3wm. much faster, less hassle, works flawless

I work with several different virtual screen VS windows 95 everything on one screen and pop up, pop down those windows which stack over themself.

Note windows 95 implies windows95 and every desctop envirionment with similar behaviour like gnome 2, kde 3, xfce ...

You may read the docs, and than adapt your i3.config to your needs.

I was forced to abandon gnome 2 as it left the tree, and everything else was basically just bloated, hard to work with. I use android devices too, there those big icons make sense but on a computer definitely not. It took a bit of efforts to adapt to i3wm, well it was worth the efforts. I do not have much bloat installed which comes with all those bigger DE, like kde. I use k3b and therfore I have only for k3b a big pile of crap installed which I will never need. k3b ebuild needs some fine tuning as most dependencies are not really that needed. was teh case for k3b for the older ebuilds in the tree.

--

To answer your question. Yes when you change your desctop environment.

AFAIK those desctop environments build on the x-server. its possible to define several external screens as one virtual screen. I have not yet read about a feature of split in half. Usually this is done by the desctop environment. My motivation why i talked about i3wm
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have written this OP myself. I want exactly this same thing.

I've been using tmux on terminals now for a few years, and I think i3wm is the gui equivalent of that although I have never given much effort to i3wm.

I'm intensely interested in where this thread goes.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I'd like to divide the screen into quarters and thirds, both horizontally and vertically to make an uneven grid.

To get what would be a full-screen window on 1920x1080, I would be able to put that screen in a lot of places but for my main focus of work I'd like it from 25% to 75% in each dimension. Then the window shows up centered on the screen, leaving me with lots of room for smaller windows around the periphery.

Back in the day I used fvwm2 (back when it was still called that) and had keyboard shortcuts to put terminals and other windows up in an organized, space-efficient manner. This was when XFree86 became stable enough to use, so I graduated from black screen to fvwm2 with lots of preconceived formats, all designed for the task at hand. I'd have a separate desktop for each type of task I did, and made it all show up automatically with a keystroke.

I'm a bit disappointed that modern apps don't pay so much attention to --geometry and all that. And there never was a satisfactory equivalent for which desktop we want it on.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many window managers have a feature to arrange windows, I do this in fluxbox for terminals.
~/.fluxbox/keys
Code:

Super_R :ExecCommand urxvt
Shift Super_R :ArrangeWindowsVertical

right win key pops up a terminal, shift rwin arranges them full screen / split screen / quarter screen / ...

I can't handle pure tiling WMs, I want to be able to resize windows manually and move them about, (including for windows that are wider than the screen itself, it depends), so such an arrange windows feature of a regular WM (tiling light, or tiling entirely optional) works better for me.

Actually splitting the display itself into virtual screens that behave as physical ones... which could run independent xservers... I think it would annoy me a lot. Good luck with that.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostschutz wrote:
I want to be able to resize windows manually and move them about,

I do this with my predefined key combinations in i3.config. And much faster as with a mouse when I finally grasped how.

It's so windows 3.1 like when you move windows around, next ot each other to read two different windows in different sizes and such. I did that for years and it annoyed me like hell, when the focus was lost and such. Windows popped over each others, than oyu head to serach for a single particular window, and every window is named the same in the taskbar.

Official screenshots.
http://i3wm.org/screenshots/#

Althouh i use a bit more complicated screen setup sometimes.
szatox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few good ideas out there, thank you, guys :)
Splitting it with xorg.conf or i3wm look promising at the first glance. Definitely gotta give them a try.
szatox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this: https://github.com/phillipberndt/fakexrandr
Anyone has any experience? (or, perhaps - an ebuild? )
szatox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump!
I've checked out that fakexrandr thing on a reasonably large HDMI connected display.
Drawing new lines in the manager's window is really neat. Reloging just to reload new map is not.
I'm pretty sure there is some way to trigger that reload and perform a "hot" config update, because it happend once when I was playing with setting on the other end of HDMI wire, but I haven't figured out what was that.

One thing I really like about this cheat is that applications runnning on top of that think there really are several displays connected, so it can be used with any DE or WM that supports multiple displays. No need for them to be smart about it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: