SOLVED - Firefox + youtube + linux sound hell
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxumare
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: SOLVED - Firefox + youtube + linux sound hell Reply with quote

UPDATE:

I forgot that in firefox the extensions update was Off.
Updating the YouTube Flash Video Player resolved :roll:

Hi all,

I mainly use oss4 on my gentoo box, but I have alsa installed too.
When needed I can switch between them using a script. With mplayer or audacious there're not problems, they have a oss output.
Until a month ago I could play youtube's videos using the "alsa emulation" provided by oss4, it worked fine, even with HTML5 videos.
But then, abruptly, the audio on youtube stopped working on some videos. I searched out there, but only found old posts, and none related with oss4.

Eventually, I got a firefox extension, YouTube Flash Video Player, by which is possible to play videos using either Flash or HTML5, it seems a HTML5 troubel, switching to Flash resolved.

A few days ago this solution too stopped working, the only way to get audio on youtube is to switch to alsa.

Someone has the same problem ? I know, oss4 is for braves/crazies, but its quality pays the efforts.

www-client/firefox-38.8.0, tried 40.0.3 and 45.5.1 to no avail
media-sound/oss-4.2.2011-r1 from bar overlay
Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio

Last edited by oxumare on Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this is related to your problems, but you have to watch out: newer versions of mozilla firefox will require pulseaudio which is on top of alsa, which means you'll have to convert from pulse to alsa to OSS. I don't know if there's a pulse layer that converts directly to OSS.

That being said I'm not sure what version of flash you're using, likely with all the errors and warnings about old flash, it's the latest. Then this page about libflashsupport is dated : http://ossnext.trueinstruments.com/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Applications_for_OSSv4 which mentions this libflashsupport-oss, seems like it converts sound calls to OSS?

Apologies, I've long since converted to ALSA, and also using Pulseaudio mainly for per-process out of band volume control.
oxumare
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi eccerr0r,
thanks for your answer.

Because some extensions don't work with recent versions, I'm sticking to firefox-38-8.0, so pulseaudio should not be the problem.

I'm quite sure it is a change in youtube, but dunno what. Yesterday I noticed a strange thing, if a youtube video is embedded in another site the audio works...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: