View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PureTryOut
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: [XFCE4] Red window borders Reply with quote

Today after updating my system and a reboot, all the window borders went red.

An image does more then a thousand words will do so (why can't you use inline images...?) https://matrix.org/_matrix/media/v1/download/matrix.org/MVBEqHPzBJdbuUMewTPFXjMO

I'm not exactly sure what packages I updated to have this occur, but it's quite annoying and quite frankly: ugly. Icons in the whisker menu also appear more red than they normally do.
Does anyone have any clue of what is happening?
PureTryOut
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so it ends up being a bit more than just borders and icons... Any image preview in Ristretto also has a red overlay over it.

I tried making a new account to see if it was a configuration problem (I even reinstalled the whole system from scratch) but the problem is still there.
I'm wondering how this is even possible since I have no such issue on my laptop (basically the same setup).
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of reinstalling I'd booted from some liveCD, like SystemRescueCD to make sure it is not a hardware issue. It may be as simple as a bad video cable.

Also look here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1056534-highlight-.html
PureTryOut
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, that could be it. I'm using a RX480 so it might be the combination of AMD graphic cards with the LLVM bug. I'll keep an eye on it, thanks!
NTU
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we please stop suggesting that a bad video cable could be the problem when it is a screenshot taken within the system? Who uses a VGA monitor nowadays anyway? If the photo was taken with a camera, then it'd make sense. I have a similar issue and got the same feedback, thanks.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who uses a VGA monitor nowadays anyway?

For this part, I can say I have several computers that use only VGA monitors. A lot of this is mixed between the age of the computers, in that the graphics cards don't support more than DVI-a at best; to even my main computer (much newer) has a VGA monitor. Then you get into the part, all of the monitors sold in stores in my state, none of them support DP, the best you can get is HDMI; and over 3/4 is primarily VGA monitors. Either way, your statement about VGA monitors and cables are off base. Look at the desktop computers sold in stores, most of them come with VGA monitors. Specifically because they are cheap, readily available, and quite frankly, most people that don't know much about computers have no clue nor care if they are using a VGA monitor.
NTU
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so VGA might not be entirely dead yet, but it still won't throw off screen grabbing software. You could cut the cable in half and it'd grab the screen with the right colors as long as you configured X properly (disabled EDID/DDC)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: