help setting up keyboard
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marinosk_81
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: help setting up keyboard Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm trying to configure the keyboard in my mid2009 macbook pro. In particular I am having the following problems.

- the two 'command' buttons switch through the various ttys - I don't like that..
- the right 'option' (Alt) key is not identified as such in emacs and elsewhere
- in emacs, I want the 'fn' key to become 'Super' and the left 'command' key as 'hyper'
- in X, I want the left 'cmd' key to be the same as the left 'ctrl'
- in emacs, key-combos such as C-M-<left> do not function. I use 'C-h k' to see what emacs see and actually any keybinding that features M or C and some non-letter character (arrows, <, >,.,etc) is only recognized as the character -> for example M-<up> is only recognized as <up>.
- be able to switch between a number of foreign languages (en, gr, fr, es) using 'cmd-space'
- use the special multimedia keys (F1-F12) to change the brigthness of the screen, the brightness of the keyboard, the audio volume, etc
Note that I'm using gentoo without a desktop environment, I use either the terminal or X to run individual programs at a time. All the above need to work both under X and in the console.

I've searched forums and guides online and tried out several things I have found but I'm still quite lost.. the above are still a no-go. I think that I first need to create a custom keymap where I map the problematic keys to the desired ones.

any directions?
stqn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you look at /usr/share/X11/xkb/geometry/macintosh (assuming you have x11-misc/xkeyboard-config installed) you will see two "geometries" named "macbook78" and "macbook79". I suppose setting one of these with setxkbmap -model should help (or you can edit the xorg config file). More info at https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/XKeyboardConfig/ (Links section).

As for the console there are mac-specific layouts in /usr/share/keymaps/mac/all/ to choose from. More info at http://kbd-project.org/ .

Hopefully that should get you started; I haven’t used Mac keyboards or edited keyboard layouts myself.
stqn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe better: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Apple_Keyboard
marinosk_81
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing relevant in the Apple_Keyboard link.. And nothing into my /usr/share/X11/xkb/geometry/macintosh directory either. I'm trying to understand if Kdb could be of any help, will report back on this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: