View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Clean out KDE4 packages Reply with quote

With having most of my needed apps moved to KF5, I am all set with it. I can bury some duplicate packages that I see hanging around. For example, kstart5 and kdesu are now part of kde-cli-tools but there is kstart/kdesu package which did the same thing for KDE4. We have konsolepart-4.14.3 hanging around when nothing depends on it.

I have kb3 which might need some basic KDE 4 packages like kdelibs etc. but most other can go.

How do I clean up my system? I know --depclean but its listing too many packages (that I need) to be useful. Did someone get some "clean KDE 4" voodoo going yet?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K3b has some issues recenlty from 5.28.x => 5.29.X (wrong cmake defintions. Not worth dealing with it as of now)

That ebuild from the kde overlay worked a month ago flawless. No need for kde4 packages when your concern is k3b.
Code:
app-cdr/k3b-9999

The portage k3b has some open bugs, which create "unuseable" discs in some cases. I reported those, reply, report upstream, well won*t fix. In my opinion you are better off with the kde overlay k3b version.

Code:
qlist -Iv kde

Kick out those older packages.

some packages are well hidden => e.g. qt and some other packages which do not have kde in their names. You will find them anyway when portage complains when you removed their "neighbours" who rely on them

It seems they moved every package in a new category. So you have an easy way to get rid of the 4 version because of the old placement of those packages in the portage tree
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Clean out KDE4 packages Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
How do I clean up my system? I know --depclean but its listing too many packages (that I need) to be useful.

Seriously, fix your system. If emerge --depclean removes too much from your system, then these packages are missing from your world file. Add them via `emerge --noreplace <packagename>`, THEN `emerge --depclean`.

What kind of packages are going to be removed from your system, that you want to keep? Are you missing a KDE Applications meta package that pulls them in?

Roman_Gruber wrote:
Code:
qlist -Iv kde

Yeah, no, that catches all and nothing at the same time. Don't do that.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean out KDE4 packages Reply with quote

asturm wrote:

Roman_Gruber wrote:
Code:
qlist -Iv kde

Any better advise, dear forum user? Or just critism without content ?

I recommend stop spamming useless posts and cristism, and start answering "unanswered" posts. So users will be helped a lot more in a responsive fashion !
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean out KDE4 packages Reply with quote

Roman_Gruber wrote:
asturm wrote:

Roman_Gruber wrote:
Code:
qlist -Iv kde

I recommend stop spamming useless posts and cristism, and start answering "unanswered" posts. So users will be helped a lot more in a responsive fashion !

Not to choose sides or anything but I have to say that in my opinion I have noticed asturm (old genstorm) help more users than almost anyone else here. Sometimes he may not have the best bedside manner but he's a very knowledgeable and helpful poster. When he suggests something is a mistake, he's usually right. Especially with anything to do with KDE where he is a heavy contributor to the overlay. To ignore his input would 9999 / 10000 times be a most serious mistake. :)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean out KDE4 packages Reply with quote

Roman_Gruber wrote:

You can't see it?
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Clean out KDE4 packages Reply with quote

Roman_Gruber wrote:

Constructive criticism is helpful content. In this case, asturm's response warns prospective readers that the command given will not generate the list that they should be using for this purpose. A charitable interpretation of your original advice would be that you intended readers to use that output as a starting point, to be pruned by the user. However, as written, I could easily see a user interpreting your original advice as instruction to remove everything KDE related. In some rare cases, removing everything and starting from scratch can be the shortest path, but it is often unnecessary and may be more disruptive to the user than selective repairs.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can stop beating on Roman_Gruber...:-) This is a Gentoo forum. None of us, all the folks here, are dumb enough to take the advice and start removing things randomly.

I certainly understood what Roman meant. In fact, I did feel mildly patronized with asturm's response...:-) But not enough to warrant a response...:-)

@asturm: please don't take it bad. I don't mean no offence. Please continue to contribute with your inputs. They are valuable and appreciated.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
I did feel mildly patronized with asturm's response...

Don't be. And frankly, I'm puzzled. Your system is semi-broken right now, so take this serious: If packages come up for depclean, they are ignored for upgrades as well. So you have a half-upgraded half-backwards package set, and your next support thread is already looming ahead because of all the cruft creating some kind of blocker.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
devsk wrote:
I did feel mildly patronized with asturm's response...

Don't be. And frankly, I'm puzzled. Your system is semi-broken right now, so take this serious: If packages come up for depclean, they are ignored for upgrades as well. So you have a half-upgraded half-backwards package set, and your next support thread is already looming ahead because of all the cruft creating some kind of blocker.
No, not the response to me. I was commenting about your response to Roman.

Actually, your response to me made me look harder and forced me to clean out some old stuff.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
I was commenting about your response to Roman.

When I'm responding to bad advice, it is not just about the thread starter not following it, but for everyone encountering this thread.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: