View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: New Version of Qt screwing up my system Reply with quote

I just got upgraded to Qt 5.7.1. That is, only partly upgraded.

Portage is showing that everything is up-to-date, but qtcreator is segfaulting and designer and assistant are old versions.

I understand that I have to emerge Qt with "emerge --nodeps" and this limits what emerge can do, but is there a "closed form" installation procedure that will handle an upgrade and update all of the relevant applications in the distribution?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New Version of Qt screwing up my system Reply with quote

Featherfoot wrote:
I understand that I have to emerge Qt with "emerge --nodeps"

No you don't.
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please enlighten me. I always wind up with insoluble dependencies.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take care of your system and the emerge won't fail. Show the error output in a paste bin if you need help. But if you use --nodeps, you get to keep the breakage. Several dependencies that would have needed rebuilding are now broken.
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't use Qt, do you?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using and contributing.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--backtrack=42 and possibly --exclude=<foo> are going to be your friends here. --nodeps is a nuclear option not routine maintenance. Qt is like any other large project. There is absolutely no reason it shouldn't play nice with portage. If it doesn't something is very wrong.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are using the ~amd64 branch of Qt5, 5.7.1. I use the amd64 branch of Qt5, 5.6.2-r1 and I have no upgrade problem for the moment.
Code:
 eix -esv qtcore
* dev-qt/qtcore
     Available versions: 
     (4)    4.8.6-r2 ~4.8.7-r2
     (5)    5.6.1(5/5.6)^t 5.6.2-r1(5/5.6)^t ~5.7.1(5/5.7)^t
     IUSE (all versions): aqua debug +exceptions +glib iconv icu libressl pch qt3support ssl systemd test ABI_MIPS="n32 n64 o32" ABI_PPC="32 64" ABI_S390="32 64" ABI_X86="32 64 x32"
     Installed versions:  Version:   4.8.6-r2(4)
                          Date:      21:57:20 03/12/2016
                          USE:       exceptions glib iconv icu ssl -aqua -debug -pch -qt3support ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32" ABI_PPC="-32 -64" ABI_S390="-32 -64" ABI_X86="64 -32 -x32"
                          DEPEND:    >=sys-libs/zlib-1.2.8-r1[abi_x86_64(-)] dev-libs/glib:2[abi_x86_64(-)] >=virtual/libiconv-0-r2[abi_x86_64(-)] dev-libs/icu:0/58.1=[abi_x86_64(-)] >=dev-libs/openssl-1.0.1h-r2:0[abi_x86_64(-)] dev-lang/perl virtual/pkgconfig[abi_x86_64(-)]
                          RDEPEND:   >=sys-libs/zlib-1.2.8-r1[abi_x86_64(-)] dev-libs/glib:2[abi_x86_64(-)] >=virtual/libiconv-0-r2[abi_x86_64(-)] dev-libs/icu:0/58.1=[abi_x86_64(-)] >=dev-libs/openssl-1.0.1h-r2:0[abi_x86_64(-)] dev-qt/qtchooser
                          PDEPEND:   ~dev-qt/qttranslations-4.8.6
                          EAPI:      5
                          Version:   5.6.2-r1(5)^t
                          Date:      00:21:48 11/12/2016
                          USE:       icu systemd -debug -test
                          DEPEND:    dev-libs/glib:2 >=dev-libs/libpcre-8.38[pcre16,unicode] >=sys-libs/zlib-1.2.5 virtual/libiconv dev-libs/icu:0/58.1= sys-apps/systemd:0/2= dev-lang/perl virtual/pkgconfig
                          RDEPEND:   dev-libs/glib:2 >=dev-libs/libpcre-8.38[pcre16,unicode] >=sys-libs/zlib-1.2.5 virtual/libiconv dev-libs/icu:0/58.1= sys-apps/systemd:0/2= dev-qt/qtchooser
                          EAPI:      6
                          4.8.6-r2(4) 5.6.2-r1(5/5.6)^t
     Homepage:            https://www.qt.io/
     Find open bugs:      https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=dev-qt%2Fqtcore
     Description:         Cross-platform application development framework
     License:             || ( GPL-2 GPL-3 LGPL-3 ) FDL-1.3

Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general the problem is that there are dependencies on previous versions of Qt that intertwine. I have almost never been able to resolve these issues without the --nodeps option or unmerging previous versions of the code and starting from scratch.

This is odd because in my experience Qt maintains a high degree of compatibility between released versions of software.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing an example it is difficult to speculate, but you probably have a use flag problem. Also possible that you need --deep --newuse but do not currently do so. I've been heavily favoring qt since I first installed gentoo. I've never experienced difficulties like you describe.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a package cruft problem. Did you ever run emerge --depclean?

Featherfoot wrote:
This is odd because in my experience Qt maintains a high degree of compatibility between released versions of software.

That's not the point here. All the Qt packages of one release need to be consistently at the same version. That's why, when some orphan package is holding back parts of the depgraph on a Qt upgrade, you end up with a mess.
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wind up with a mess.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then clean up your mess for once. Next time there's a Qt upgrade and you are hitting a problem, take to the forums instead of using --nodeps. Pastebin everything from top (emerge command) to bottom. We can't detect the source of your issues out of thin air.
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed that you could actually believe that I could use Gentoo for this long and not know how to do an "emerge --depclean" or any of the other portage cleaning methods.

But you're right. I will post my troubles getting the next version of Qt to emerge and you can impress me with your genius.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Featherfoot wrote:
I am amazed that you could actually believe that I could use Gentoo for this long and not know how to do an "emerge --depclean"

If there's one thing I've learned it is to not make any assumptions based on forum membership.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the past year, I have seen several users who have a join date of more than a decade ago, but their post starts off with some variant of "I have not used Gentoo in N years, but I'm getting back into it now. I need help with ..." and then a perfectly reasonable question for a new user. Even if you were a continuous user, it might be the case that you had a bad experience with --depclean and swore off using it unless specifically told to do so. Such a user would be no better off than someone who never knew to run it in the first place, and would benefit from being instructed to use it here.
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Gentoo for years and Qt has always been a pain in the asst to get to emerge. The use of the --nodeps option was suggested as the closest thing to a closed-form solution. Lately there a bunch of emerges that don't have dependencies that force the rest of the distributton to get brought in. This causes other emerges to fail later.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be open to the idea that you haven't done it right so far. The correct solution for a Qt upgrade that is being blocked by unsatisfied reverse dependencies for whatever local reason has always been to single-handedly upgrade _only_, but _all_ installed Qt packages _at the same time_.

Code:
# emerge -1u $(qlist -CI dev-qt/*)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: