View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nelsonwcf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: GTX 1080 Xorg Support (Solved): Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I've been playing with a lot of drivers so far but it's time to request some help here. My desktop has two video cards - the intel onboard and an Nvidia 1080 GTX. While the drivers for intel works pretty good (as long as TearFree is off), I can't seem to find a driver the works with my Nvidia. Pulling nvidia-drivers give a "ramdac" error when starting X and Nouveau the screen goes black and that's it.

Is there any support for this video card in Linux?

Thank you,
Nelson

Last edited by nelsonwcf on Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maxxx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have GTX1070 and i use nvidia drivers version 367.44 and it work fine...
Actually the usefull nvidia drivers for GTX1080 is 375-20 version, but you have to delete and blacklist nouveau drivers.

I don't know if GTX1080 works fine with nouveau drivers.
nelsonwcf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Do you use any specific options in the kernel or in xorg.conf? While he card seems to work with the new driver, the videos show some tearing and the login screen has some visual problems, like blinking and tearing. Anything different that you use?
Maxxx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, i don't use specific options... only all framebuffers in kernel aren't set.

Now, do you use 375-20-r1 drivers?

If the problems persist i would try with 367.44 version.
Maxxx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/106810/en-uk#_ga=1.124164365.629443725.1481616800

and click on "SUPPORTED PRODUCTS":
367.44 supports GTX1080.

To me it works fine even with some heavy games (like X-plane simulator)
nelsonwcf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxxx wrote:
No, i don't use specific options... only all framebuffers in kernel aren't set.

Now, do you use 375-20-r1 drivers?

If the problems persist i would try with 367.44 version.

Even in xorg.conf? If I don't put anything there it can't find my card so I have to manually tell the bus to xorg. Also, when you do eselect opengl, are you using xorg or nvidia?

Thanks!
Maxxx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the drivers installed you must run "nvidia-xconfig" and it set xorg.conf... see

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVidia/nvidia-drivers

and

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide

then i use nvidia opengl
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GTX 1070, you don't need anything set in xorg.conf. You can have efifb in the kernel, it works fine with nvidia-drivers.
nelsonwcf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxxx wrote:
Once the drivers installed you must run "nvidia-xconfig" and it set xorg.conf... see

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVidia/nvidia-drivers

and

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide

then i use nvidia opengl

Saboya and Maxxx,

I used all the guides you posted here to the letter. If I run nvidia-xconfig, it doesn't find displays and Xorg exits. For it to work, I have to add BusID line using information from lspci to the xorg.conf. My case may be a bit different because I have 2xGTX1080 + onboard Intel. This could be reason it doesn't find it automatically.

The stable drivers available on Gentoo don't work; I had to pull the latest unstable. Even so, the screen seems not unsynched. If I add TearFree true, the problem gets even worse because Xorg starts to hiccup when moving screens around or playing videos. I'm still have to try the version mentioned above. Will do that today evening.

If I try to install the latest drivers directly from NVidia, the drivers doesn't install correctly because of an "egl" file that already exists, probably from Mesa.

I'm not even mentioning Nouveau because the drivers has been a mess for me since my notebook GTX980M SLI. Every single distribution that tries to load Nouveau on boot (which is almost all of them) freezes the computer. A similar issue happens in this new Desktop.

That's pretty the current state of affairs.

Now, since you guys are telling me that GTX 1070 works well, GTX 1080 shouldn't be too different. It is just a matter of finding out the right settings/drivers for it.

I want to try the latest drivers from Nvidia and the one from portage that is mentioned above. I need help for the first because of conflict of existing libraries. The second I can do today evening and will post the results.

Again, thanks for all the help.
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 375.26 driver has a bug fix for SLI systems but it is not in the portage tree yet.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I also have a Intel card on my PC (3770k), I don't even compile the module in the kernel to avoid issues, so there's that.

I also don't have SLI, which I believe brings a whole new set of issues, so I'm afraid I can't help :/
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

nelsonwcf wrote:
I used all the guides you posted here to the letter. If I run nvidia-xconfig, it doesn't find displays and Xorg exits. For it to work, I have to add BusID line using information from lspci to the xorg.conf. My case may be a bit different because I have 2xGTX1080 + onboard Intel. This could be reason it doesn't find it automatically.

The 'nvidia-xconfig' command also tends to add a lot of unneeded stuff, that may have caused issues to some (though I'm not sure I've never actually seen anyone have that issue). Regardless, it's often recommended to try with a minimal 'xorg.conf', such as this:

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "TooT-TooT"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        Option          "Coolbits"      "5"
EndSection

I use Coolbits to add some more control. It's not /required/, however.

That is for the proprietary nvidia-drivers (nouveau should work without manual configuration, aside from special set-ups).

Indeed, though, your set-up is very different from anything I've used, in that it has so many more GPUs. If at all possible, I'd try with just one of them GTX 1080, just to make sure that works. :]

Quote:
I want to try the latest drivers from Nvidia and the one from portage that is mentioned above. I need help for the first because of conflict of existing libraries. The second I can do today evening and will post the results.

Installing the driver outside of Portage will almost certainly make “fun” stuff happen.

Rather use the ebuilds from Portage. If there's a version out there, not yet in Portage, it's often enough to simply rename the latest version to the one you want (and install it from a local overlay).

Quote:
I'm not even mentioning Nouveau because the drivers has been a mess for me since my notebook GTX980M SLI. Every single distribution that tries to load Nouveau on boot (which is almost all of them) freezes the computer. A similar issue happens in this new Desktop.

I've been wanting to test nouveau again myself, since the last time I did I had a GTX 275, for which it couldn't do any fan control... so it was a no-go. Now I have a GTX 960, for which it should work, but I didn't manage to do that yet, when I recently tried. Need to try until I win, I maybe guess (no success was almost surely only my own fault).

That said, I do see, from the nouveau site, that they have at least modesetting support for the GP10x cards already (1080 et al.), but I don't see it in the feature matrix. As for SLI, that's on the “TODO” list for pretty much everything using nouveau. They even have a note saying “SLI or even multicard setups are very rare among developers. You should start hacking with us, if you have such a setup.”
Almost certainly the closed source driver is the one to go with for you, for the time being. :\
nelsonwcf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much guys for all the help.

jburns, I've tried the latest drivers directly from nvidia site and it indeed fixed the screen problem. It was tricky to install it in gentoo, though.

Saboya, I also don't compile anything for Intel. I didn't explicitly put "-intel" on VIDEO_CARDS because having only "nvidia" should in theory be the same. They are not in kernel either. Still coudn't get X working normally.

Chitoo, I don't know what is that Coolbits function, but the only line I had to work in xorg.conf for mine to work was BusID "PCI:1:0:0". After that it started finding the display. I ended up installing the closed source driver from Nvidia. The latest version seemed to fix the SLI problem. It was tricky to install and it will be annoying to main until it is released in Portage, but the latest version had no overwritten in my current tree and the installer supports the uninstall parameter, which works nicely. I'm keeping it until Nouveau get GP10x supported. I coudn't get it to work, even if I prefered it because of its ability to turn on modesetting (nvidia doesn't support it). I don't play any games on linux, just multimedia and coding.
Interesting that you asked to ask to start hacking because I have considered doing that one week ago and already went through some of the documents on the website. That would also be a good opportunity to improve my C skills (working only with silly Java lately) and to have fun. Let's see how it goes...

Thanks everybody! I will mark it as solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: