Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I give up. Any sysadmin wanna get paid to set up via ssh?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Pope
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: I give up. Any sysadmin wanna get paid to set up via ssh? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Yeah, nice distro. But I'm barely experienced with Linux, let alone Gentoo. I can't go on having to recompile so many times because there's some flag somewhere I didn't even know was needed. I'm at my wits' end. Whenever I think I finally got it, something else doesn't work.

I'll install and unpack stage3, do all the partitions, etc. Then someone would log in via ssh and do all the work needed to bring two tutorials to reality. The point is getting the use flags and config files and whatnot in order. It also requires installing some ebuilds off the official Portage tree.

All the Linux experts tell me oh no, I have no time for that. Fine. How much for your time? Payments exclusively via Paypal, please.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you need Gentoo? I could do that, I'm sick sitting at home.
The_Pope
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon wrote:
Why you need Gentoo? I could do that, I'm sick sitting at home.

Need it because it appears to be one of the few distros able to do two things. The two tutorials I mentioned. Another such distribution seems to be Rocks, but I had weird dysfunctionalities with their latest x86 isos. You couldn't click, you input something you need but it uses the defaults anyway, etc. Not to mention the cases where I get errors.

Okay. I unfortunately can't open a ssh port on the router, I can only do ssh tunnelling, as described here:

http://blog.trackets.com/2014/05/17/ssh-tunnel-local-and-remote-port-forwarding-explained-with-examples.html

Is that okay?
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see those two tutorials. Need to get a picture of what needs to be done.
The_Pope
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Pope,

This is a really bad idea.

Gentoo is a rolling distro. If you skip the install, when breaking it only costs your time, you will be missing the skills to maintain your install.
When you trash that, it will take all your user data with it too.

Get SystemRescueCD as your boot media, so you can have a GUI while you install.
Follow the handbook and ask here when you don't know which path to follow.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
The_Pope
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooo no no no. Sorry, but I have weird stuff to do. Like installing stuff from the former "gentoo-x86" tree via cvs. Not kids' play. It would take forever for me to learn everything.

Mind you, I installed Gentoo on my own laptop, on a USB hard drive and I'm close to playing Starcraft II via Wine. This, however, requires someone experienced. There's no time for me to learn all that.
bbgermany
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

to be honest, but if you are not willing to learn how to maintain gentoo or any other linux system, you should go back to windows or even macos where you dont need to do a thing inside the system to get it running.

you wont even be able to get your cvs stuff installed. so my advice (as the other said as well) go back to the handbook and do by your hand!!!

my first gentoo install needed three retries before i even had a running base system!

greets, bb
Server #1: Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G, 64GB, 16.5TB
Server #2: Ryzen 4800H, 32GB, 22TB
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy the necessity of this Rite of Passage which is to install Gentoo for the first time.
Why impose the steep learning curve?
Any person who wants to learn could very well learn progressively, in a more relaxed manner, after the box has been installed... by someone else, if necessary.
The installation process is too much to take in all at once for a newbie.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm highly suspicious of the claim that you can't be bothered to learn to install a Linux distro or even ask for help doing so (as thousands of others here have done successfully), yet you make it sound like you have some sort of top secret mission of utmost urgency that requires this specific one.

By all means, skip the easy part, but don't come back later asking for help operating a space shuttle. Everyone will give answers that assume you've learned to walk, and they won't give a damn what emergency you've gotten yourself into by then if you can't even do that.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why impose the steep learning curve?
To repel those who don't want to learn it.
This way the don't get frustrated and we keep toxic (or just frustrated) people out.
Also, removing that learning curve would require standardizing gentoo to the point it would not longer be gentoo. And if you don't want gentoo, there are dozens of non-gentoo distros already. Why stick to such a non-gentoo gentoo?
The_Pope
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus Christ. You people really cling on to your oh-I'm-so-different-because-I'm-such-a-power-user aura, don't you?

Well, yes, I _do_ have a sort of secret mission, if that's what you want to call it. Which is why I told the man what I needed him to do via private messaging.

It's a thing that I don't even know if it can be done with Gentoo, so it made so much more sense to ask someone who's years ahead of me in understanding Gentoo, to do it himself. Then, if it works, I can learn that myself. In the process, an experienced sysadmin gets many thanks and as much money as agreed upon.

But no, your self-righteous ways impose rites of passage, don't they? This, mark my words, is the exact same mentality of exclusivism as the bullcrap Apple users want to radiate. I thought Gentoo is open and modular, regardless of _who_ is building it, not that it's the high mountain peak where only a select few can climb. I'm sorry, I have things to do outside reading scattered and sometimes outdated documentation.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many users can successfully install Gentoo, given the patience to do so. However, as Ant P. noted, maintaining it is not trivial. If you hire someone to install it for you, there is a good chance that you will need to hire someone to maintain it for you, at least until you go back and learn the parts you skipped by not installing it. If you prefer the idea of spending your money instead of your time, by all means, do so. That is, after all, why most organizations have dedicated IT staff instead of expecting every employee to self-administer. Just be aware that you have placed yourself in that situation, and that you might need to continue to rely on contracted assistance.
The_Pope
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. I never thought otherwise. In fact, the things I need Gentoo to do are similar to what servers do, so first one finds out if it runs, then document all about it, then there would be little maintaining to do anyway.

Setting it up for personal use, oh I did that already. I have a laptop that came with Windows and I now have an external hard drive with Gentoo 64-bit on it, with X and XFCE 4.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you realize Gentoo is not a distribution you can update when ever you like... Gentoo is very temperamental when you don't update on a regular basis (at most, I'd say monthly basis). It is very common to see forum posts from people asking for help because they did not update too often, and now have a broken machine. Depending on how long you wait in between updating, could end up resulting you constantly reinstalling the whole machine (usually once the machine gets close to or pass 1 year of not updating), it ends up being a lost cause on updating the machine, over wiping and starting over...
tlhonmey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
I hope you realize Gentoo is not a distribution you can update when ever you like... Gentoo is very temperamental when you don't update on a regular basis (at most, I'd say monthly basis). It is very common to see forum posts from people asking for help because they did not update too often, and now have a broken machine. Depending on how long you wait in between updating, could end up resulting you constantly reinstalling the whole machine (usually once the machine gets close to or pass 1 year of not updating), it ends up being a lost cause on updating the machine, over wiping and starting over...

In my experience, Gentoo is far better about this than lots of distros. When you end up in a dependency snarl, portage gives clear output on what the trouble is and usually needs just a little push to help it decide which route to take on fixing it.

I have a number of Gentoo servers that go without anything but critical security updates for months or years at a time, and the worst I've ever had to do to get them up to date again when it finally became necessary has been to unpack the latest stage3 into a chroot and build binpkgs out of various parts of the @system group. Mostly this only happens when I miss an EAPI transition for portage so it can't upgrade itself. I've never had to wipe and reinstall.

Leave a Debian machine without updates for six months to a year and there's a good chance you'll get the same kind of snarl, but with no clear description of what's blocking what, and often no upgrade path short of recompiling the whole system a package at a time yourself, usually twice. (Basically the same process Gentoo will use, but not automated, so have fun typing "debuild", and "dpkg -i" for every package on the system. Oh, and there's no source-based dependency resolution for the apt-get source command, so be prepared to trace all those yourself too. The one time I absolutely had to do it, it only took me about three days.)

I hate to criticize, but some people here are being awfully rude. Not everyone can be a sysadmin, and I can state from personal experience that there are a large number of software projects that can only be made to work reliably on Gentoo because they require some esoteric combination of software and options not available elsewhere. Whiny users demanding that the community build their pet projects for them deserve scorn. People looking to hire some help and engage in division of labour deserve respect. This kind of behaviour is part of why you see all those opinion pieces floating around about how Gentoo is unstable, unreliable, unprofessional, and not suitable for serious projects. Polite warnings that he needs to be sure he has an upgrade and maintenance plan of some sort are in order, and NeddySeagoon and Hu gave beautiful examples. By all means drive away the parasites, but people who understand the value of others' time should be encouraged to stay.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: