can't load modules
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathieu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: can't load modules Reply with quote

I have this weird problem and I don't have a clue where to look.

Just installed gentoo 1.4 on an old pentium 133.
I used the basic CFLAGS: -march=i586 -O2 -pipe
Then bootstrap, compiled a kernel, but in the end, after a reboot, the kernel loads fine, but when it comes to loading modules, it just won't load them and gives unreasolved symbols for all my modules.

I can provide .config and a list of packages if neccessary, maybe I just missed something, but I'm hoping somebody has had the same experience with this and/or knows the solution.

Some additional info:
depmod -a gives unreasolved symbols
depmod -a -F /boot/System.map gives no errors
sometimes I hook up my HD to a faster computer to compile, however when this one boots it has the same problem.
used kernel: 2.4.19-r7 (gentoo-sources)

mathieu
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A forum search for "modules and unresolved and symbols" turned up 66 threads. Any of them similar to your situation?
mathieu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did check before I posted, none of them is similar.
Most threads are about one or a few modules failing, others seems to have forgotten to rerun lm_sensors after a new kernel compile.

But I my case every module fails. Perhaps its similar to the ones that have problems with SMP, so I tried (my single cpu computer) with and without SMP; no effect.

What about the System.map? I find it rather strange that checking the modules againt the system.map works fine, but running a depmod without it fails. Could it be some kind of problems with /proc/ksyms?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathieu wrote:
What about the System.map? I find it rather strange that checking the modules againt the system.map works fine, but running a depmod without it fails. Could it be some kind of problems with /proc/ksyms?

Contrary to the depmod man page, depmod doesn't open /proc/ksyms. At least not here - it did open /proc/meminfo. Do you have module versioning turned on in your kernel? Is there a possibility of a mismatch between the /lib/modules/ directory and your running kernel? Bootloader picking up the wrong kernel? Inadvertent failure to mount /boot? Changed something big in the kernel config and didn't run make mrproper and dependencies got messed up? Didn't run make modules_install?

The fact that it works with System.map leads me to believe there must be some sort of mismatch. Sorry it's hard to pin down how it could happen.
mathieu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked and dubble checked everything you mentioned, however everything seemed fine.
I reinstalled everthing allover again and now it works, so I must have missed something during my first install.
I'll probably never find the real reason for the modules not loading, I'm glad it works now.

mathieu
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: