Force disable config options
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlowIt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Force disable config options Reply with quote

I needed to tweak options under CONFIG_EXPERT but this also enabled CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL. Is there any way to disable CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL while keeping CONFIG_EXPERT enabled? (menuconfig says that CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL is selected by CONFIG_EXPERT=y)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlowIt,

You need to go through all of the CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL menu and turn off things that you don't want.

Its a one time thing, since you will use your current kernel .config as the basis for your next kernel .config.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
FlowIt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if I understand you correctly.
In the Kernel hacking submenu there is the CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL option, but this option itself is no submenu. I want to disable the option itself, but I can't, because I would have to disable CONFIG_EXPERT first (which I don't want, because I had to enable it for another feature).
Most additional debugging options are disabled nevertheless, but CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL says "Say Y here if you are developing drivers or trying to debug and identify kernel problems" which sounds like a lot of debug information is compiled into the kernel and I don't want that.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cursory read of recent kernel sources suggests that, with a few likely irrelevant exceptions, CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL does not, on its own, change anything about the compiled kernel. Using git grep -w CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL shows many hits in defconfig files and a few source files. Adding -- '*.[chsS]' to restrict it to common source file extensions makes the list much easier to read. If you are on one of blackfin, mips, parisc, powerpc, or xtensa, then setting CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL might change the generated kernel. For any other architecture, debug-specific code is guarded by other Kconfig symbols, which you should be able to change independently.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: