[SOLVED] Returning to Gentoo, trying to install with Systemd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjy0724
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Returning to Gentoo, trying to install with Systemd Reply with quote

Greetings,

As the title suggests, I have been away for a while mostly because when I started my current job I switch to RHEL (CentOS/SL) to learn the in/outs of that model because that is what we use. However, recently I decided I want to switch back to Gentoo (at least at home) because RHEL just seems boring to me now. Plus, I would still have access to it.

Anyway, I am on my third install attempt trying install Gentoo with Systemd. But I seem to be missing something. I'm not sure if I am mis-interpreting the handbook or what is going on. One thing that doesn't make sense to me is that with the documentation in the past if there were two major differences in setup steps for components (GRUB and LILO, for instance) then the steps would clearly be laid out for both methods. However, that doesn't seem to have happened with OpenRC and SystemD...the handbook discusses the OpenRC method, but there is only a reference to the SystemD migration page. I may be the minority here on this but instructions don't seem to be clear enough to me. Or, I am just crazy.

I plan on simply doing a complete OpenRC install and hopefully that will work...if so I will go through the migration page and hopefully have better luck.

If there is a page I am not seeing that has clearer instructions on the install process could someone please point them out to me.

Thank you in advance.

gjy0724

Last edited by gjy0724 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!,

Did you find the following wiki pages:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki's_EFI_Install_Guide/Configuring_systemd_and_Installing_Necessary_Tools
and
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet

Normally, you only have to switch to a systemd-enabled profile, and add the right kernel parameter to run systemd at startup.
gjy0724
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I will take a look at those. The first URL you mention is the page I have been using. Hopefully one of the others will spark something that I am missing.
gjy0724
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I was able to get my system up and running with systemd. However, I ended up using the main page to up and running on OpenRC, then migrated to Systemd using the first URL. It does work, but not a one shot good deal as I would have hoped. Not idea, but it does work. Thank you for the help. Calling this solved is debatable but documentation is not up to me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: