Procedures for moving/renaming a package directory
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Procedures for moving/renaming a package directory Reply with quote

I've been trying to keep up with all the movement in the kde-* packages with my kde-sunset overlay but it's just getting silly now; The other day I had an idea! I thought "Hey, if they can do it, why can't I??"

So, what I want to do is move everything in my overlay's kde-base and kde-misc to kde3-apps and kde3-misc - This way it will be completely separate from the main tree's so they can move all the packages around as much as they like and it won't affect me any more.

I'm assuming there is some built-in system to do this as the main tree is using it to move these pesky packages - Is this something I can leverage myself? Is there some documentation available?

Within the tree, is there some automated way to move package folders around like this or is it actually being done manually on a package-by-package basis by the maintainers?

I'm slowly going through my own overlay and find/replacing all the directory paths but I'm wondering if there is a faster way to do this; I predict I'll need to manually edit the eclasses and other ancillary stuff too, and then I'll need to tackle the world file and installed ebuild records somehow...
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be they use sed or other bash tools to parse the config files and replace it. Most likely.

Or use an editor and use replace all
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://devmanual.gentoo.org/profiles/updates/index.html
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks; Mmm, seems it won't be as useful as I'd hoped... I think I'll have to manually do most of the move myself :S
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be much less work to follow the few pkgmoves done in tree.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought at first but it now seems like every other time I sync the KDE team have moved something that affects me that I have to repair. I don't even get why stuff had to be moved to kde-apps and now kde-plasma; It's not like it does something different from being in kde-base...

Just FYI, it's not a small amount of work that needs to be done when moving even a few packages as you have to fix the dependencies on everything that points that package as well, possibly moving some into another overlay - I literally have to check ALL of them, EVERY time it happens. It was interesting at first but now it's getting tedious and annoying. This will take a bit more effort but I should only have to do it ONCE!

I feel this is a far better long-term solution, especially since it doesn't look like TDE is going to get into the tree or even an overlay any time soon...
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how much work it is, I've done it myself a few times. grep and sed are your friends there.

However, the pkgmoves related to kde-base are pretty much done, so I don't expect any more work for you in the future.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
That's what I thought at first but it now seems like every other time I sync the KDE team have moved something that affects me that I have to repair.

Well that's quite an exaggeration, there have been a batch of pkgmoves last week, after a long pause since Plasma-5 stabilisation. And it's all documented in profiles/updates directory so it is no guessing game which packages were moved.

Cyker wrote:
I don't even get why stuff had to be moved to kde-apps and now kde-plasma; It's not like it does something different from being in kde-base...

Less duplicate ${PN} in different ${CATEGORY} and less last-rites necessary for the Plasma-4 removal.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: