View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: [Solved] kde Plasma 5.7.5 broke application launchers Reply with quote

Hello.

I updated to kde plasma desktop 5.7.5 yesterday, and after a reboot, I find that none of my custom desktop launchers will work. I use them quite a lot to launch many different scripts, or to launch xfreerdp sessions etc.

Here is an example:

Test script:
Code:

#!/bin/bash
echo hi
pause

Launcher for test.sh:
Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment[en_US]=
Comment=
Exec=/home/gman/scripts/test.sh
GenericName[en_US]=
GenericName=
Icon=exec
MimeType=
Name[en_US]=Link to Application
Name=Link to Application
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=true
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DBUS-ServiceName=
X-DBUS-StartupType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

When I click this launcher, nothing happens. If I cut and paste the command from the Exec line into a terminal, it works just fine. It doesn't seem to matter what the command is.

Other weirdness:

If I right-click an empty space in dolphin, choose "Create New" then "Link to Application", and navigate to an executable like /usr/bin/gwenview, it will work. However, I cannot make any subsequent edits to the launcher. Any edits I make to the launcher in KDE will not save. It just reverts back to its original form. The permissions to the file are appropriate to the user (has read/write). I can, however, right click the launcher and open in kwrite, and make changes that way... but custom commands and scripts will not launch.

I have googled this for a bit, but cannot find anything out there that says there was a change to how desktop launchers work in KDE (or otherwise). Is this a bug? Anyone else have this problem? Any advice on how to fix?

Thanks.

G

Last edited by grooveman on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
i4dnf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a regression in konsole and kio. Try upgrading kde-frameworks/kio to 5.26+.
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the weirdness of it i4dnf, it says I have kde-frameworks/kio-5.26.0-r2:5/5.26::gentoo installed

That is stable today...
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... updated kio to 5.27.0... still not working...
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I right-click an empty space in dolphin, choose "Create New" then "Link to Application", and navigate to an executable like /usr/bin/gwenview, it will work. However, I cannot make any subsequent edits to the launcher. Any edits I make to the launcher in KDE will not save. It just reverts back to its original form. The permissions to the file are appropriate to the user (has read/write). I can, however, right click the launcher and open in kwrite, and make changes that way... but custom commands and scripts will not launch.

I've had this problem since first upgrading from KDE 4 to plasma 5, whenever plasma 5 went stable (several months ago at least).
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section_8 wrote:
Quote:

I've had this problem since first upgrading from KDE 4 to plasma 5, whenever plasma 5 went stable (several months ago at least).

I didn't notice that until now... though it may have been present for some time. Itt is moderately frustrating... but this part is not critical to me, because you can still edit through an editor. Not launching... that is a big problem. I assume it probably has something to do with the hand-off to konsole, because some will still work, if I uncheck "Run in terminal".
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.... putting the following line in /etc/portage/package.keywords:

Code:

kde-apps/konsole-16.08.1

and re-emerging fixed it. They will now launch in the konsole.

:D
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a desktop folder to launch some scripts I use a lot. Just glad I ran into this post.
It wasn't a show stopper, but very annoying.

Thanks for the info:
Put in /etc/portage/package.keywords
Quote:
=kde-apps/konsole-16.08.1

– Steven Wright
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They removed kde-apps/konsole-16.08.1 and only unstable is kde-apps/konsole-16.08.2 now.
Since the one that fixed the problem wasn't avail it installed the stable kde-apps/konsole-16.04.3, which won't launch scripts.

So update your /etc/portage/package.keywords with
=kde-apps/konsole-16.08.2

– Steven Wright
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konsole-16.08.2 is not available anymore. So you'll have to unmask konsole-16.08.3 which does work.

– Steven Wright
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16.08.3 is going to be stabilised any minute now, anyway.
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Not again. Reply with quote

Quote:
16.08.3 is going to be stabilised any minute now, anyway.

Why do they have to keep doing this. This is getting aggravating.
16.08.3-r1 is the stable now. 16.08.2 isn't available. They changed more than just this this time. Maybe 16.03.02 can't even fix this one. I had icons to open the different partitions and scripts like was messed up before. I had to change my icons to shortcuts to locations instead of to devices cause they wouldn't open the folder anymore. Ended up making them shortcuts. That works fine for ones that I mount at boot, but some like my FAT32 part isn't mounted at boot and would mount it for me when launched before, now as shortcut won't. Round up all those KDE developers.

Scripts aren't working anymore either. Had to manually type it in konsole to launch it.

JEEESSSE. Just tried another and thought was going to have to shut down and not finish this. It was to a another partition and it opened about 100 dolphins and was continuing. Had to killall -9 dolphin typing one character at a time and refocus the cursor to the konsole to keep tying each character.

This has got to stop. I don't know if this is happening to other distros or just kde, but I might have to make a change after all these years.

Any ideas?

I should have made note here that these icons,.. are located in Folder View applet.

– Steven Wright

Last edited by Decibels on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:39 am; edited 2 times in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea what you're talking about - in your previous post you said 16.08.3 works for you, and it (r1) was stable since Dec 19th. No one else has since reported issues.

Decibels wrote:
16.08.3-r1 is the stable now. 16.08.2 isn't available. They changed more than just this this time. Maybe 16.03.02 can't even fix this one. I had icons to open the different partitions and scripts like was messed up before. I had to change my icons to shortcuts to locations instead of to devices cause they wouldn't open the folder anymore. Ended up making them shortcuts. That works fine for ones that I mount at boot, but some like my FAT32 part isn't mounted at boot and would mount it for me when launched before, now as shortcut won't.

In what area of Plasma or Applications (dolphin?) are you right now?

Decibels wrote:
JEEESSSE. Just tried another and thought was going to have to shut down and not finish this. It was to a another partition and it opened about 100 dolphins and was continuing. Had to killall -9 dolphin typing one character at a time and refocus the cursor to the konsole to keep tying each character.

Maybe your script is wrong?
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably not konsole problem. No, script works fine!

Everything is contained in a plasma desktop folder to keep it orderly. Everything was working fine. After updating, everything in there stopped working correctly, well really from working at all. It would ask if you wanted to execute this file,...

Previously links to devices opened in Dolphin and mounted if wasn't already, scripts I had in there worked, couple would open in konsole to ask for passed, that was the original problem here when that stopped. That is why thought at 1st: Here we go again!

But with having to change links to devices to links to folders (only works right if already mounted), and scripts not working,... I think it is deeper than just konsole. So unless anyone finds out it is than won't post on it here anymore.

Sorry about that, just getting tired of everything working Great and than it is all screwed up after just a few updates. I have that desktop folder working perfectly since it first came out. Except for the issue with konsole. Now it's messed up worse than that time. And again, the scripts work fine, just had to manually do it.

I should have made note here that these icons,.. are located in Folder View applet

– Steven Wright

Last edited by Decibels on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:39 am; edited 2 times in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what version of Plasma and Frameworks have you updated to?
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing continued interest! Had to wait till got home.

Looking at merge history:
Jan 21, 2017 - kde-framworks/plasma-5.29.0
Feb 27, 2018 - kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.8.5-r2 (had r1 until then, pretty sure haven't used anything in Folder View from then till yesterday)

Can't go back to r-1 and 5.8.6 is the next version, which requires a lot of other stuff to do.

Stumped for now. Will keep looking.

Note: Only other plasma stuff updated was in Feb 1.

– Steven Wright
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed problem. Had to reinstall the whole system. Everything works great now in the FolderView.

11/1/2020: Happened again after updating. ie Executable Scripts in Plasma Folder View not working again. Getting a Unknown Error: 100.
Well, added this prefix to the icon properties/application command box: konsole -e ./script

Working again.

– Steven Wright
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: