[rage] upstream sucks | nvidia| xorg | plasma|stateofthings
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
virtguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: [rage] upstream sucks | nvidia| xorg | plasma|stateofthings Reply with quote

Have to let this out Ive had enough.

Unfortunately @work we have the choice of dell , dell and dell. On recent E5450 there is no more Bios option (the way I understand it )for switching dgpu and igpu because dell blows.
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/957814/prime-and-prime-synchronization/

with xorg 1.18.4 (yes I use ~amd64) this is a massive problem. Its so bad now that everytime I need to boot my laptop (sometimes docking station with 3 monitors, or sometimes without native) I need to sit down and reconfigure everything or emerge xorg and configure xorg | plasma | opengl | sddm

Plasma has issues with nvidia opengl, and glamor, sddm cannot sometimes load plasma just because. lightdm wont build anymore - bug . WTF is one left to do?

Are todays upstream people so out of touch that things like this arent tested ? filing bug reports gets you nowhere except some reply , or close . I find this unacceptable, I see other colleagues at work running arch bin, deb or opensuse, whatever, and they are more fucked because they do not have the versatility that gentoo provides . But still hit the same bugs.

When is this madness going to stop and devs upstream start actually quality testing releases. I have the feeling it has gotten worse and worse and noone gives a **** anymore.

Are we really at the point that we have to go back and use fwm or twm to get work done ? just because ?

Sorry had to vent

[Moderator edit: cleaned up the venting a bit. The overall rant is preserved. -Hu]
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: [rage] upstream sucks | nvidia| xorg | plasma|stateofthi Reply with quote

Quote:
Are todays upstream people so out of touch that things like this arent tested ? filing bug reports gets you nowhere except some shitty reply , or close .

KDE doesn't have the magic crystal ball required to debug your FUBAR black-box nvidia graphics blob. Have you considered sending them one as an apology for wasting their time with invalid bug reports for Someone Else's software?

You have an Intel GPU. Use that. Demand whoever makes the purchase decisions at your job gets a clue next time. 15 years of nvidia screwing its customers leaves little room for excuses.
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't using stable amd64 possible for you?
I have mostly stable and few non-@system packages from ~amd64. I keep all the central packages (xserver, mesa) also in stable versions.
Although one friend of mine has also one Dell PC @work. He uses Arch Linux and had several problems with the Nvidia card. He decided to backlist and uninstall all the Nvidia stuff and now things work. And since he doesn't need much GPU power (coding usually doesn't) he's fine with the configuration.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: