nvidia legacy drivers 340.96 require xorg-server 1.17.99
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: nvidia legacy drivers 340.96 require xorg-server 1.17.99 Reply with quote

today i tried to update world and there is a new version of xorg-server = 1.18. i currently use legacy nvidia-drivers-340.96. has anyone tried that driver to run with the new xorg-server. is the dependency in nvidia-drivers-340.96 for xorg-server-1.17.99 really necessary or would it work with 1.18?

Flux & Contemplation - Portrait of an Artist in Isolation

e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: nvidia legacy drivers 340.96 require xorg-server 1.17.99 Reply with quote

e3k wrote:
today i tried to update world and there is a new version of xorg-server = 1.18. i currently use legacy nvidia-drivers-340.96. has anyone tried that driver to run with the new xorg-server. is the dependency in nvidia-drivers-340.96 for xorg-server-1.17.99 really necessary or would it work with 1.18?

patching the 340.96 ebuild to pull <xorg-server-1.18.99 did work fine. anyway i noticed that the 340.96-r5 does the same. should probably switch from 340.96 to 340.96-r5

augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Right now, I am trying to configure and install nvidia and the X Server and ran into a potential conflict:

Code:
!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

x11-base/xorg-server:0

(x11-base/xorg-server-1.17.4:0/1.17.4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    <x11-base/xorg-server-1.17.99:= required by (x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-340.96:0/340::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^                     ^^^^^^^ ^                                                                                                                                                                   

(x11-base/xorg-server-1.18.4:0/1.18.4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.18[udev] required by (x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.10.3:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^                     ^^^^                                                                                                                                                       

So in "package.accept_keywords" I added:
=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-340.98 ~amd64
and the conflict has resolved itself.

I found the solution quickly thanks to your post.
:)
DevOne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: nvidia legacy drivers 340.96 require xorg-server 1.17.99 Reply with quote

e3k wrote:
e3k wrote:

patching the 340.96 ebuild to pull <xorg-server-1.18.99 did work fine. anyway i noticed that the 340.96-r5 does the same. should probably switch from 340.96 to 340.96-r5

Hi,
I have the same problem and for the time being I used the open-source drive.
Now if I want to try this out and it will work, my doubt is: how long will this solution work for?
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the fix has been incorporated into the x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-340.xx series of ebuild. The fix has not reached stable amd64 yet, that's why I accepted ~amd64 for the time being. Once the ebuild with the fix has been pushed to stable amd64, I can remove the accept_keyword line above. Other than that, things should work from now on.

My understanding is very limited, so I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3k & all, since you also use the 340.xx nvidia drivers, maybe you know how to configure this:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1053062.html
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevOne wrote:
Now if I want to try this out and it will work, my doubt is: how long will this solution work for?

This issue is almost always an issue that comes up with a new version of Xorg-server/kernel that comes out, it is just a nature of the beast. As proprietary drivers usually lag behind on supporting the new versions of Xorg and/or kernel versions. Using the legacy drivers can be even more lagging, as it's not as much of a priority job for them when they are only interested on making more money (i.e. making you buy new cards).

The catch 22 on that, is that open source drivers may not have as good of performance and/or support as much of the GL as the proprietary drivers.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open source nouveau performs just as well as blob, at least on older hardware, I switched a year ago and do not regret.
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: nvidia legacy drivers 340.96 require xorg-server 1.17.99 Reply with quote

DevOne wrote:
e3k wrote:
e3k wrote:

Hi,
I have the same problem and for the time being I used the open-source drive.

well until now it works. i guess it depends on nvidia. new kernels were a problem in past but there are patches. not sure what is the dependency of the driver on xorg-server but it seems that 1.18 works fine.

i tried nouveau with my games but half of them did not play at all and bit trip runner 2 looks like it tries to give you seizures (background shift is not smooth) on nouveau. thats why i stick to nvidia-drivers for now.

Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your card may require firmware with nouveau, if this is the case you need to provide it.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon wrote:
Your card may require firmware with nouveau, if this is the case you need to provide it.

I'm not sure what kind of firmware you're talking about, but are you saying that provided the right configuration and the necessary 'firmware', nouveau should perform as well as the binary drivers in all situations, including 3D, blender, etc...?
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sys-firmware/nvidia-firmware

IMHO everything works as with blob, less the headache with xorg and kernel upgrades.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon wrote:
sys-firmware/nvidia-firmware

IMHO everything works as with blob, less the headache with xorg and kernel upgrades.

Thanks. I see:
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/

I'll stick with nouveau for the time being.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: