Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
tsc clock source missing from available_clocksource .
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manu_leo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: tsc clock source missing from available_clocksource . Reply with quote

Hi Experts, I need tsc to be set as the available clock source however I donot see it under available clock sources.

Quote:
# cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource
hpet acpi_pm

Quote:
# cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
hpet

Is there some kernel changes which has to be done to make tsc visible ? On my other servers I do see this time source along with hpet and acpi_pm.

Thanks for all the help in advance
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post output of `dmesg | fgrep -i tsc`, that should show whether it had a tsc driver or not.
manu_leo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ant, here is what I see :-

Code:
 /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0 # dmesg | grep -i tsc
[    0.000000] tsc: Fast TSC calibration using PIT
[    0.000000] tsc: Detected 3458.084 MHz processor
[    3.025224] tsc: Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 3458.000 MHz
[    3.025419] clocksource: tsc: mask: 0xffffffffffffffff max_cycles: 0x31d854e00f0, max_idle_ns: 440795240752 ns
[    4.025509] clocksource: Switched to clocksource tsc
[257898.790543] clocksource: timekeeping watchdog: Marking clocksource 'tsc' as unstable because the skew is too large:
[257898.790551] clocksource:                       'tsc' cs_now: 32b78453bdd5c cs_last: 329fc9ec78d9e mask: ffffffffffffffff
[803947.451880] clocksource: Override clocksource tsc is not HRT compatible - cannot switch while in HRT/NOHZ mode
[803956.706758] clocksource: Override clocksource tsc is not HRT compatible - cannot switch while in HRT/NOHZ mode
[807101.681139] clocksource: Override clocksource tsc is not HRT compatible - cannot switch while in HRT/NOHZ mode
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manu_leo wrote:

Code:
[257898.790543] clocksource: timekeeping watchdog: Marking clocksource 'tsc' as unstable because the skew is too large:

That's your problem, the kernel is disabling the tsc because it's too inaccurate. This is normal, it's why we have hpet/acpi timers in the first place.

What exactly do you need tsc for?
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
manu_leo wrote:

Code:

That's your problem, the kernel is disabling the tsc because it's too inaccurate. This is normal, it's why we have hpet/acpi timers in the first place.

What exactly do you need tsc for?

So iam bringing up an old post regarding this. I upgraded from dual e5-2690 cpus that were using the TSC clock source. My KVMs happen to work much better with the TSC clock-source. I did some reading and found out TSC is great in terms of performance but many of the new processors have some short comings so instead HPET was selected as a primary clock sources for many modern CPUs. Anyway.... for my E5-2687WV2 CPUs iam unable to select this as a clock-source and i was wondering if there is anyway to force the kernel to use this. I have done some reading and many of the TSC issues are related to C stepping and the CPU changes its power states which causes the TSC clock source to become inaccurate and not stable. Anyway it took me 2 months to get my KVMs running good with the HPET clock source by passing through a NVME drive to the KVM(massively reduced I/O, because it does not have to access the virtual disk file). For some reason using the virtual disk file causes more I/O and has lots of problems with HEPT. Passing through the NVME is able to fix this issue. Dont ask me how i know this, it took me 2 months of trial and error to get to the bottom of my audio and fps stuttering. I now know 100% its all related to I/O and the clock source timer. So even though me passing though my NVME to my VM solved my issue, its not all the way solved. I know i can push higher frames if i can switch to a TSC clock timer. (They dont get interrupter like HPET when you have TSC running good) Anyway i have don't alot of the prerequisites for making my CPU work decent with the timer i just need to figure out how to force Gentoo to use it again. Any ideas on what i do?
finalturismo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any ideas on what i do?

Yeah, quit bumping old threads and then starting yet another thread about tsc.

:roll: :roll: :roll:a

Edit to add: you're going to get the same answer as last time, your tsc implementation is broken, get a better motherboard/cpu OR learn to live with what you have.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: