btrfs scrub freezes the system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comio
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: btrfs scrub freezes the system Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm running the last 4.7.2 linux kernel. I noticed that my nightly "btrfs scrub start -B" freezes the system and I need to hard reset with the power up button on the morning. The system is headless and I have not any crashdump from console (and system log is empty). Running via remote console I had the same issue (system lost).

Has anyone experienced the same issue? I will continue the investigation and I will try to attach a monitor to see any kernel message on the console.

best regards,

luigi

e

http://www.comio.it
:)
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried it without the -B parameter? I ask because I have BTRFS on MANY systems and I do not use -B when I scrub. You can nALWAYS get the result of the last scrub by doing "btrfs scrub status <part/subvol/etc>", so you may not need it anyway. Beyond that, I do not know. Check SMART with smartctl?
comio
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:
Have you tried it without the -B parameter? I ask because I have BTRFS on MANY systems and I do not use -B when I scrub. You can nALWAYS get the result of the last scrub by doing "btrfs scrub status <part/subvol/etc>", so you may not need it anyway. Beyond that, I do not know. Check SMART with smartctl?

I need to came back at home because the gentoobox is still frozen and I need to hard-reset the machine.
I'm using -B flag in order to send the scrub results to my mailbox, but at this point I will try without this option to verify if there's any difference. I will also attach a monitor in order to see the kernel crashdump.

Furthermore, I noticed that a new btrfs-progs has been released (4.7.2).

ciao

luig

e

http://www.comio.it
:)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shouldn't happen. I've got `btrfs scrub start -B /` running from cron on 4 different machines and they all stay usable during and after.

In the meantime, you might want to see if your computer has a hardware watchdog chip (many do, even if it's not obvious) in case it hangs again. Even setting the kernel "panic timeout" option would be better than nothing.
Nortis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I solved unchecking in the kernel menu File system - Btrfs with integrity check tool compiled in (DANGEROUS). Or you can change .config with # CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_CHECK_INTEGRITY
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: