90%  [ 59 ]
No, I would love to see an update.
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 65

Dan-Erik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Petition to update the Gentoo logo Reply with quote

The Gentoo logo never appealed to me. I saw it many times over the years, long before I even considered trying Gentoo myself, and I always wondered why they picked something so ugly to represent their distribution... Now that I'm becoming one of the group (still a very new user) I wanted to contribute by making the Gentoo image a bit more appealing. Hence this petition, to see if there's a large resistance to changing the logo, or if more people feel like me.

If I had some more talent with computer graphics or painting I would submit a real effort too. But I'm afraid I'm quite graphically challenged. I do know what I like though, and the current Gentoo logo is not on that list. But maybe I could lend some inspiration to those more talented than me... So here's a couple of suggestions ;

http://m.imgur.com/xCSJTvB
This is my drawing skill. It is a combination of two Thai signs (as in their alphabet) one in black and one in red. Together, those two characters make the sound "gen" to which you can add 2 to make it "Gentoo". The Gentoo penguin animal also has a white arc over its head and a red beak so those two Thai characters combined look a bit like a penguin head even without additions. With some neat graphics added, it could make for a cool logo, even though I guess most Gentoo users wouldn't really be able to read the characters...

http://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/3296408/316673264/stock-vector-gentoo-penguin-cartoon-vector-illustration-316673264.jpg
This picture has several Gentoo penguins in it, and especially the top left one shows that white arc over the head and red beak in an interesting pattern that in my opinion would make for a much better logo for Gentoo.

The black and red colors are also the first you see of a Gentoo install when that red prompt shoes up on a black background, so it's a strong identifyer.

Anyway, just wanted to make a petition. The possible inspirations were just something to get people thinking and talking.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-Erik,

Welcome to Gentoo.

I voted to keep the current logo. Its a registered trademark of the Gentoo Foundation Inc.
Changing it is not just a matter of desiging/approving/using a new logo.
It needs to be registered and all the websites that use it need to be updated.

Many sites use the logo in a nominative way, which is permitted by trademark law, to say, link to a page within the gentoo.org namespace.
Most of these sites are not under Gentoo control. This would lead to a good deal of confusion.

The Gentoo Foundation Inc trustees would need to vote in favour of such a change and I for one, would vote against as its not good use of Gentoo Foundation Inc. funding.

It would also make my Gentoo Tee shirts obsolete :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say keep the logo. It is recognized as the Gentoo logo by the Linux community so rebranding would be ridiculously difficult.

Gentoo is all about choice and it isn't like Ubuntu which is going to show off the logo on bootup or something. If you want to see a different logo on your computer you can easily make it so.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One-beaner, joined today just to tell us our logo sucks.

Do you even use Gentoo?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Petition to update the Gentoo logo Reply with quote

Dan-Erik wrote:
http://m.imgur.com/xCSJTvB
This is my drawing skill.

no offence, but seriously it's funny, dude get another hobby because if you are at that level and over 5 years, you really should!

If this is a joke, great, you've made me laugh, else if you keep doing that, it might be because your friends keep telling you have talent. You would make perfect candidate for some america got talent or similar show.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Gentoo logo. It's distinctive.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

...but I much prefer the flat and darker variants of the logo rather than the shiny windows-vista-esque one.
luiztux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the current logo.
PseudoKrazy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about the current logo is very "90's-esque". It felt dated from the beginning.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that the original poster joined the same day this poll began and still to this day has only one post on the forum, can we agree that this was a troll post and either delete or lock the thread?

Thanks.
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PseudoKrazy wrote:
Something about the current logo is very "90's-esque". It felt dated from the beginning.

… says the guy with a '93 Doom imp as avatar ;)

No offence intended, I just found the coincidence funny :)
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say we keep it?? But does that have to mean that we can't tweak it? Make it a little more edgy. Its quite Skeuomorphic, and a flat or material design philosophy is all the rage in recent years.

There honestly hasn't been a lot of change for gentoo over the years in the looks department, there is the new website but the art is still pretty much the same a new material like design for gentoo and long name could really make gentoo pop and look/appear like a cutting edge modern OS, and not somethinf from the 90's 2000's
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
roki942
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdunn wrote:
... could really make gentoo pop and look/appear like a cutting edge modern OS, and not something from the 90's 2000's

Is that really a bad thing? After all, for example, "Dune" is form the '60s and the images in your AV are much the same as I remember them being drawn then.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: