View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: KDE 5 and sound Reply with quote

It seems that every time I turn around sound in KDE dies. I re-emerge a number of packages, but this is becoming tiresome.

Does anyone else have this experience? If so have you managed to fix it?

Thanks

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give *a bit* more precise description?
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: KDE 5 and sound - Correction Reply with quote

Thanks genstorm!

I'm currently running stable KDE 4.1x with Plasma 5.x

I may be wrong, but it seems that an update forced the Plasma install.

I'm perplexed on the sound issue, but I just stumbled upon something I had not noted previously.
If I suspend to ram when I reopen the system sound is dead. If I reboot the sound works, i.e. if
I go into system settings -> multimedia -> audio video -> device preference and click on pulseaudio sound server
I then have sound. Similarly, if I choose Audio Hardware Setup and per my setting if I select
Front Left or Front Right I do have a response. Doing the same thing without reboot
there is no sound.

Not enough experiments, but I wonder if the suspend to ram breaks something?

I'll have to check, but my Dell k620 is running CentOS 7 and suspends and restores without breaking sound.

I have Gentoo running on an i7-4770k with Samsung 840PRO and max memory. It took me a long time to
put the hardware together, but my old AMD Athlon was just too slow to keep up with Gentoo building.

I'm wondering now if I should just uninstall Plasma.

Thanks

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: KDE 5 and sound [Solved - Sort of] Reply with quote

Well, I'm not the actual correction, but the problem seems to be connected to suspending to RAM.

I like that I can suspend to RAM as even with an SSD/HDD combination it's even quicker to restart, but when I do this
it kills my sound. If I reboot audio is working again. At least I now have no reason to re-emerge the apps I was doing that for.

If any developers have any idea how to correct this I would appreciate hearing from them. Perhaps I'm the only user
experiencing this problem?

mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have
Code:
CONFIG_SND_PCM_TIMER=y
set in your kernel?

I may be wrong but I think that's a fairly recent change. I had no sound in html5 video and one or two other problems until I enabled that after changing from 3.foo to 4.bar kernels.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: