View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ysbeer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: XFCE Desktop Crashing Reply with quote

I wanted to keep a long uptime on my Gentoo Desktop with XFCE and Compton (for screen tearing) on Intel Skylake i5 @3.2GHz and NVIDIA GTX 970 with proprietary nvidia drivers and iiyama 24" 1920x1080 @60Hz dual screen, but the screen kept blanking and switching to screensaver after a while.

Today i came back home and my whole X was crashed/freezed with some random pixel/graphics on the Desktop making X look really weird graphically: so my only option was to hard reset the Desktop.

Now i disabled the screensaver in XFCE Sessions and Startup, i also turned off power manager with the Standby and Suspend timer on "0", and i used "xset s noblank" "xset s off" "xset -dmps" at the Sessions and Startup to disable screen blanking.

i do not have var log installed (on my to do list) so i do not know where to start to solve this problem, anyone have ideas?
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use Compton as the compositor for Xfce4, have-you disable the Xfce4 native compositor?
ysbeer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i did disable the native compositor.

i disabled the screensaver daemon on Sessions and Startup, and "xset s noblank" "xset s off" "xset - dpms" are still in use.

btw i am on Gentoo stable.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Nvidia video card that I use with Nouveau with Linux and Xorg and 2 Intel video cards that I use with Linux i915 and Xorg intel. I configure my desktop in 2 ways. One with Vsync to Blank activated in Xorg and the other one with Vsync to Blank disable. When I use Vsync to Blank, I set ~/.drirc to use Vsync to blank and I set the vblank_mode variable for it in my .bashrc. In plus, in the Xcfe4 compositor the option for Vsync to Blank is on too.

In other words all is set for Vsync to Blank or not to use it depending on what I am testing. I do not see big changes but Vsync to Blank on is suppose to help to advoid tearing. If Compton feature is to advoid tearing with the USE flag drm activated who set Compton for Vsync to Blank, it may be a good idea to set everything to Vsync to Blank.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: