Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Can't connect to the network (WIFI/WPA2).
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackOz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Can't connect to the network (WIFI/WPA2). Reply with quote

Hello, people!

I'm new in Gentoo. I wanted to install Gentoo on my laptop, but encountered a problem during setup.

Installation build: install-amd64-minimal-20160714.iso

Tried to connect with automatic and manual network settings, but unsuccessfully.
Code:
ifconfig

Shows the following: enp2s0(UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST), lo(UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING) and wlp3s0(UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST).

wlp3s0 not receiving packets (RX TX - all the zeros.). Of course ping does not pass too.
Code:
net-setup wlp3s0

Shows the following:
--------------------------
Interface name: wlp3s0
Device: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
MAC address: 40: and etc.
Driver: ath9k
Bus type:pci

But didn't connect to the network. I tried to enter essid and password several times, but unsuccessfully(wired connection works fine, but i want WIFI/WPA2.). In manual, the same.

In Ubuntu and Arch, all works perfectly. I don't know what to do.

Help me, please! :cry:

------------------------

Last edited by JackOz on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JackOz,

Wireless won't work from the minimal setup cd (it's *very* minimal).

Get a copy of https://www.system-rescue-cd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage as the boot media, it's about the de-facto standard here, the underlying system is gentoo, and it eliminates a lot of issues, including the one you are experiencing.

Just boot from it, follow the handbook closely and enjoy the journey. Welcome to Gentoo.

Cheers,

Ian
JackOz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian.au wrote:
Hi JackOz,
Hi ian.au. Thanks for the response. :D :D :D
ian.au wrote:
Wireless won't work from the minimal setup cd (it's *very* minimal).
Clear. 8O
ian.au wrote:
Get a copy of https://www.system-rescue-cd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage as the boot media, it's about the de-facto standard here, the underlying system is gentoo, and it eliminates a lot of issues, including the one you are experiencing.

Just boot from it, follow the handbook closely and enjoy the journey. Welcome to Gentoo.

Cheers,

Ian
Ok. Thanks. I will try it. :D
JackOz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day. :)

Tried SystemRescueCd. Connecting to WIFI is only possible in graphical mode. :roll:

I installed (from GUI) a basic/minimal system (i want to collect a small and quick system, that did not have anything extra). Installed dhcpcd, wpa_suppicant, wireless-tools. Tried to connect to the network, but the network is not working, neither wired nor wireless and the network device are not defined.
Apparently, some drivers are missing.

What should I do, what drivers to install to have the network up and running (wired and wireless, but wireless network is preferable)? :?
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackOz wrote:
Good day. :)

Tried SystemRescueCd. Connecting to WIFI is only possible in graphical mode. :roll:

I installed (from GUI) a basic/minimal system (i want to collect a small and quick system, that did not have anything extra). Installed dhcpcd, wpa_suppicant, wireless-tools. Tried to connect to the network, but the network is not working, neither wired nor wireless and the network device are not defined.
Apparently, some drivers are missing.

What should I do, what drivers to install to have the network up and running (wired and wireless, but wireless network is preferable)? :?

Systemrescuecd is only a tool to get you a reliably complete environment to set up your install (and, when necessary the ability to search / post to the forums whilst doing so ;) ) none of it ends up in your final installation, you get what you build. I guess you've skipped a step somewhere in your attempt to configure a minimal system

You need to state how you set up your kernel .config for networking: Boot from systemrescuecd and remount your /mnt/gentoo partitions;

For your wireless network (referring your original post) you would need to enable some ATHEROS modules, what does
Code:
grep ATHEROS /mnt/gento/usr/src/linux/.config
return? A quick google indicates that you would need the ATHK9* modules for your wireless network card.

For wired ethernet you haven't said what your hardware is, which driver did you enable in your kernel? If not sure, take root and run
Code:
lspci -n
and paste the output to the Debian hcl page http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ to determine which driver you need, then switch back into your chroot to add and rebuild your kernel as required.

If your kernel looks like it is configured ok but still no luck you can run / post the links to:

Code:
wgetpaste /mnt/gentoo/etc/conf.d/net
wgetpaste /mnt/gentoo/usr/src/linux/.config
ls -l /etc/init.d/net* | wgetpaste
wgetpaste /mnt/gentoo/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
wgetpaste /mnt/gentoo/etc/rc.conf
*assuming openRC install

There should then be enough info for someone to help you finalise your networking set up.
JackOz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grep ATHEROS /mnt/gento/usr/src/linux/.config:
Code:
CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_ATHEROS=y

lspci -n:
Code:
PCI ID   Works?   Vendor   Device   Driver   Kernel
10221410      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Root Complex      
1002990b      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]   Richland [Radeon HD 8650G]      
10029902   Yes   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]   Trinity HDMI Audio Controller   snd_hda_intel   v3.16.0-
10221412      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Root Port      
10221414      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Root Port      
10221415      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Root Port      
10227814      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   FCH USB XHCI Controller      
10227800   Yes   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   FCH SATA Controller [IDE mode]   ahci   v2.6.32-
10227807      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   FCH USB OHCI Controller      
10227808      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   FCH USB EHCI Controller      
10227807      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   FCH USB OHCI Controller      
10227808      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   FCH USB EHCI Controller      
1022780b   Yes   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   FCH SMBus Controller   i2c-piix4   
1022780d   Yes   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   FCH Azalia Controller   snd-hda-intel   
1022780e      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   FCH LPC Bridge      
1022780f      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   FCH PCI Bridge      
10221400      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Function 0      
10221401      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Function 1      
10221402      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Function 2      
10221403   Yes   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Function 3   k10temp   v3.16.0-
10221404      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Function 4      
10221405      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]   Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Function 5      
10026663   Yes   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]   Sun PRO [Radeon HD 8570A/8570M]   radeon   v3.16.0-
196910a0      Qualcomm Atheros   QCA8172 Fast Ethernet      
168c0032   Yes   Qualcomm Atheros   AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter   ath9k
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So these are your network devices;

Quote:
196910a0 Qualcomm Atheros QCA8172 Fast Ethernet
168c0032 Yes Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter ath9k

According to the wiki the ethernet card requires the alx drivers CONFIG_ALX so are they installed?
Code:
grep ALX /mnt/gento/usr/src/linux/.config

If not you can enable them at:
Code:
Device Drivers  --->
    [*] Network device support  ---> 
        [*] Ethernet driver support  --->
            [*] Atheros devices  --->
                [*] Qualcomm Atheros AR816x/AR817x support

Wifi is provided by Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter. ath9k driver is needed:

Code:
CONFIG_ATH_CARDS:
  │ This will enable the support for the Atheros wireless drivers.
  │ ath5k, ath9k, ath9k_htc and ar9170 drivers share some common code, this option
  │ enables the common ath.ko module which shares common helpers.

So grep for that in your .config - if not built you need to enable
Code:
Device Drivers  --->
    [*] Network device support  ---> 
        [*] Wireless LAN  --->
            [M] Atheros Wireless Cards  --->

If you can't see the Atheros Wireless option under Wireless LAN you need to enable cfg80211 at
Code:
 Prompt: cfg80211 - wireless configuration API
  │   Location:
  │     -> Networking support (NET [=y])
  │       -> Wireless (WIRELESS [=y])

If all that is set up correctly and still not working, then you need to paste the configs requested in my previous post.

edit - some line breaks in code blocks.

Last edited by ian.au on Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
JackOz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Did everything as you said and it worked. Thank you very much ian.au. :D

However WIFI why something earned after automatically receiving IP addresses through the wired network and after a restart. :roll:

List of commands to start the network (note):
Code:
# get a list of all available network devices.
ifconfig -a

# === WIRED NETWORK CONNECTION. === #

# check whether the running device.
ifconfig elp2s0

# if the device is not running, then run.
ifconfig elp2s0 up

# get the IP address.
dhcpcd elp2s0

# === WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION. === #

# check whether the running device.
ifconfig wlp3s0

# if the device is not running, then run.
ifconfig wlp3s0 up

# generated ssid password in wpa_supplicant.conf
wpa_passphrase ssid password > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

# connect to the network.
wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i wlp3s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

# get the IP address.
dhcpcd wlp3s0
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackOz wrote:

Glad you got it sorted JackOz,
Quote:
However WIFI why something earned after automatically receiving IP addresses through the wired network and after a restart. :roll:

I'm sorry, but I can't quite parse that line - can you re-state the problem? I'm not running wpa_supplicant on anything here at the moment, so I can't check / paste you a working config for it, and I don't recognize that script?

Have you reviewed https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Networking/Wireless
JackOz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian.au wrote:
JackOz wrote:

Glad you got it sorted JackOz,
This is my list of the commands that I used in Ubuntu mini.iso to raise the network (after installing). Since they are also working to Gentoo, I put them here. Maybe someone will be useful. :D
ian.au wrote:
JackOz wrote:

I'm sorry, but I can't quite parse that line - can you re-state the problem? I'm not running wpa_supplicant on anything here at the moment, so I can't check / paste you a working config for it, and I don't recognize that script?
This is not a problem, it's an oddity. It's all right, help is not required. The network in Gentoo works fine. :D
ian.au wrote:
Have you reviewed https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Networking/Wireless
No, but now I look. :roll:

The problem is solved. Thanks again for your responsiveness and assistance ian.au.

With respect,

JackOz.
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackOz, you're welcome - glad it's all working out on your install.
Cheers, Ian
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: