View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Fluxbox in VNC: widget sizes grow with resolution changes Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a curious bug occurring with the Fluxbox desktop I run on my TigerVNC server.

I access the server (which tends to have a continuous session running at all times) from three different devices with different screen-sizes: 1280x1024, 1366x768 and 1920x1080. When I move from one to another, I change the session's resolution to match the monitor in fullscreen. Usually the VNC client performs this adjustment automatically, however on the small monitor I usually do it manually using an Xdialog script that calls xrandr.

Over time, the widget size (i.e. that of menu-bar text, buttons etc.) gets larger and larger in some apps, e.g. Xdialog, scite, emelfm2 and pcmanfm-qt. Already-running apps aren't affected (so far). EasyTag and Handbrake aren't affected.

I assume it's the screen-resizing that causes this, but I'm not sure how to correct it. I don't see any environment vars that would affect this, and the apps that are and aren't affected don't seem to fall into obvious groupings either.

The effect is that after a while these apps are unusable unless I start a new session, which flies in the face of why I use VNC (a continuous multi-homed desktop session). I'd be very grateful for any help in solving this riddle!

NB. One quirk of my setup that might be worth mentioning is that fluxbox is running under xdm in the VNC session (for reasons best omitted for brevity's sake).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: