Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can you use Gentoo without compiling much?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Can you use Gentoo without compiling much? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am a Gentoo user. I'm not "power-user", in the sense that I don't know many of Gentoo functionalities yet(unfortunately I have other priorities then learning them).
My gf has a PC with Ubuntu on it. Currently we're checking out if Debian does it for her, but I've also been thinking of Gentoo, since it's such a nice distro. However,
there's a one problem: compilation. It's both time-consuming and sometimees not straightforward(when collisions appear). I haven't heard much good about binary distributions of the Gentoo
programs. Is there some way to get Gentoo and not compile too much? Funtoo looks like one way to do it, but I'd like to know the alternatives.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatthewRock,

The simple answer is no. That's because Gentoo is a toolkit you use to design and build your own distro.
Every Gentoo install is in effect, a different distro.

A more complete answer is maybe.
If you have a number of systems based on similar hardware, its possible to build packages that will work on them all.
You build once, then install the binaries on the other systems.

When all these similar systems are on the same LAN, you can use distcc so they all contribute to building, then you distribute the binaries.
Its even possible to use a more capable system to build for a completely different system, to make it bearable to run Gentoo on say a Raspberry Pi.

One way or another, you need to do the compiling but it need not be on the target install system.

There are a few Gentoo BINHOSTs scattered around the internet but they all have Gentoo built with their owners USE flags, not yours.
That link is to my BINHOST, by way of an example.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
MatthewRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, NeddySeagoon.

Actually, my gf has a similar PC to mine - I believe our Graphics card is the same, and architecture of CPU as well(I've got intel i5, she got i7, but they're from the same generation I believe), so it should actually be possible to go with "maybe" option. I could compile on my PC and ship it to her somehow. I would like to explore this idea - could you please refer me to some tutorials, wikis, documentation, or provide some keywords that should yield plausible search results?

Thanks in advance.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatthewRock,

You need to look at lspci from both systems and discover what -march=native does on both systems.
You must compile support for all the hardware present on either system but only using CFLAGS that are on both.

On the master (the box that does the builds) set FEATURES="buildpkg" in your make.conf.
By default, this saves all of your packages into /usr/portage/packages eveg time you build something.
It would be a good idea to move /usr/portage/distfiles out of /usr/portage but its not essential.

Set up your USE and CFLAGS to suit both/all systems and run
Code:
emerge -e @world --with-bdeps=y --keep-going -av

This will rebuild everything you have installed with the new USE and CFLAGS.
Install packages that only your gf needs too.

At the end of this you have your portage tree in /usr/portage and the matching binaries in /usr/portage/packages. /usr/portage/distfiles is not needed for the next step.

Transport /usr/portage and the matching binaries in /usr/portage/packages to your gf PC. You probably want /etc/portage and your world file too.
Install on your gf PC but ...
Do not fetch a portage snapshot, use the /usr/portage/ from your PC. Mounting a USB stick works.
When the handbook says to install something you add -K to the emerge command.
Once you are booted into your gf install, put your world file into place and run
Code:
emerge -eK @world --with-bdeps=y --keep-going -av
(notice the -K) to install eveything.
You will need to do all the configuration yourself.

The above does not cover the kernel. That's in /usr/src/linux. You can share that too.
How you keep the portable /usr/portage up to date is up to you. There are lots of ways.

Updating is similar. Run the same commands on your gf PC as you did on your own but add -K to emerge.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With her i7 you can ssh into her box and compile with MAKEOPTS=-j3 and she will even not notice the compilation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: