Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Using recent NX client with FreeNX requires systemd?!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c00l.wave
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Using recent NX client with FreeNX requires systemd?! Reply with quote

I didn't use NX in a long time (and last time it was from Mac to Linux or Linux to Linux). This time I'm attempting to access my Gentoo box from Windows but the connection aborts with an "I/O error" (code 5). The server's log indicates that some process runs into a kernel trap each time I log in via NX:

Code:
Jul 16 17:06:21 [sshd] Accepted publickey for nx from 192.168.0.X port 50929 ssh2: DSA SHA256:XXX
Jul 16 17:06:21 [sshd] pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user nx by (uid=0)
Jul 16 17:06:21 [kernel] traps: ck-remove-direc[27533] trap int3 ip:7fb033d744ee sp:7fffedc0b650 error:0
Jul 16 17:06:26 [sshd] Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for XXX from 127.0.0.1 port 57958 ssh2
Jul 16 17:06:26 [sshd] pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user XXX by (uid=0)
Jul 16 17:06:44 [sshd] pam_unix(sshd:session): session closed for user nx
Jul 16 17:06:44 [kernel] traps: ck-remove-direc[31280] trap int3 ip:7ff5f9fc74ee sp:7fffcf562670 error:0
Jul 16 17:06:44 [sshd] Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1 port 57958:11: disconnected by user
Jul 16 17:06:44 [sshd] Disconnected from 127.0.0.1 port 57958
Jul 16 17:06:44 [sshd] pam_unix(sshd:session): session closed for user XXX

The suspected NX log file at /var/log/nxserver.log remains empty (0 bytes). I already re-enabled ssh-dss, the issue is with something that happens shortly after authentication succeeds. It doesn't matter if I tell the client to instantiate a KDE session using the default option or if I select "default X-client script" or attempt to invoke /usr/bin/startxfce4. The only difference with selecting KDE is that the client just hangs instead of throwing an error code 5 referring to I/O issues.

If I search for "traps: ck-remove-direc" I find references to errors due to ConsoleKit relying on a missing systemd installation which I attempt to avoid in favor of a "traditional" OpenRC setup.

I might be the last person on earth who wants to use NX but I always found it to be realiable, fast and convenient for graphical remote access to Linux desktops, especially from foreign operating systems. Is there any chance to get this working without systemd or is that log message just a red herring? Local logins work just fine on that box, it's only FreeNX that's not working as expected...
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that message to be that ConsoleKit aborted uncleanly. This could be, but need not be, because it assumes the presence of systemd. Regardless, I would consider that a bug in ConsoleKit. It should never hit a trap like that. If it requires systemd, it ought to fail more gracefully. If the systemd references you found are not relevant here, then ConsoleKit has some other problem.

If you configure the system not to use ConsoleKit, does that allow FreeNX to work?
c00l.wave
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed like KDE 4 (or KDM) strictly required ConsoleKit at some point, otherwise I wouldn't have installed it in the first place. If I were to disable it, I would need to recompile all affected ebuilds with -consolekit or is there another way to temporarily disable it?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: