Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
overshoot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marax_faraii wrote:
Plasma 5 is nowhere near ready for production use and IMO it's way too soon to push users over to it.

Somewhere in the last week I've lost all hope that KDE5 will be usable before they EOL it to move users to KDE6.

I've been using KDE since my checks had the dates preprinted with "19__" and I just don't want to deal with this any more.
tomtom69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:

tomtom69: Did you try Plasma-5.5.5 or 5.6.5? Because the latter should work fine wrt session restore (Qt-5.6.1 brought the fix).

I am using (currently stable) 5.5.5, because 5.6.x is not stable yet. Is there a rough schedule when 5.6.5 will be marked as stable?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom69 wrote:
I am using (currently stable) 5.5.5

5.5.5 is a waste of time if you already knew you had these issues. It will not be fixed (it can't) because the prerequisite is a dependency on Qt-5.6.1, which landed in Plasma-5.7, and was backported to Gentoo's Plasma-5.6.5.

See also: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=586166

So the order of stabilisation process is Qt-5.6.1 (which was held back by a phonon[qt4] issue until recently), Frameworks 5.23, and then Plasma-5.6.5. All of these stabilisation bugs have been filed, and testers are very welcome. Especially those with issues in 5.5.5 - because I, for one, did not have any screen issues until I swapped one DVI cable (!) for a DP one (which was fixed by 5.6.5). So you can imagine the multitude of hardware combinations out there that may or may not be troubling.
tomtom69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:

So the order of stabilisation process is Qt-5.6.1 (which was held back by a phonon[qt4] issue until recently), Frameworks 5.23, and then Plasma-5.6.5. All of these stabilisation bugs have been filed, and testers are very welcome. Especially those with issues in 5.5.5

Is there any documentation/description on how to contribute to testing? (e.g. a list of which packages need to be unmasked, and where to file bug reports)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find the stable lists attached to the stabilisation bugs themselves (you'll see, when you click at the above link, also the blocking stabilisation bugs of Qt-5.6.1 and Frameworks-5.23). The lists are not standardised, so sometimes you can't copy them directly into package.accept_keywords without some mangling (nothing that nano can't do, or sed if you're into it), but kde overlay also provides package.keywords files in its Documentation folder for KDE Frameworks, Applications and Plasma (which contains the necessary Qt-5.6.1 unmask). Also take a look into the other bugs blocking Plasma/Qt stabilisation to find out about anything else you'll need to unmask (like phonon, e.g.).
gentooP4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceSunrise wrote:
...snip... I guess I just don't what to accept the situation when having both kactivities and kactivitymanagerd packages installed in my system I now have to install dozens of other kde-frameworks/* and Qt5 packages only because someone decided to rename kde-base/kactivitymanagerd -> kde-plasma/kactivitymanagerd ...snip...

Agreed. I've decided to merge individual application packages from here on in and leave the KDE/frameworks stuff to pile up in my emerge output sans-update. Once that gets too onerous I'll stop updating altogether. :!: :lol:

If you voted for Trump or Brexit, you were likely influenced by the Cambridge Analytica propaganda machine.
jjtp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I'm having a problem with localizations. Dolphin, gwenview, the screen locker, ksysguard, ark, kcalc and systemsettings are untranslated, but the plasma environment and somehow okular are translated. What is happening here? I guess the new kde-apps/kde4-l10n has something to do with this.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that kde-l10n is installed, it contains the localisation for those mentioned applications.
thbesch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After buying a Raspberry PI 3 wanted to install Gentoo with KDE. Previously I did the same with a Raspberry PI 2 and KDE 4 and didn't have major
problems. But now it seems like the KDE Plasma issues will require me to use another distribution.
Or did anyone successfully install KDE 5 Plasma on Raspi 3 yet ?

The problem I see is that there doesn't exist a special plasma profile like on amd64 (default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma). And the previous
suggestions to install KDE 4 or the KDE 4 support thread don't seem to work for me. I always get conflicts between 5.5.1 and 5.6.1 packages
that seem not to be solvable.

Any hints welcome, thx.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE#Plasma_4
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so no masking entries are needed anymore to stay with KDE4? Just follow the Wiki?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about the current state of tree: There is no KDE SC 4 anymore, only Plasma 4 is left. And yes, for that you do not need the masks, they will in fact break its dependencies (and you'll need them for the part of KDE Applications that is now only available as KF5-based version).

So you'll need to decide whether to follow the tree and remove the masks or diverge from it and do something else.
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to stay with KDE4. Is that possible by following the tree?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did I just say?
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not understand what you meant, that's why I asked again.

Edit:
To be more precise: It is not clear to me, what happens to my KDE4 installation, if I do NOT add those lots of masks (see some posts above) and instead follow the wiki and therefore the tree.
I do not want to maintain lots of masks, so that is not a real alternative for me. If staying with the tree "destroys" my KDE4 installation, then I am looking for other desktop environments. I don't like Gnome 3 either, so can someone recommend one? I do not depend on KDE office or PIM apps.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can keep Plasma-4 workspace if you remove kde-meta/kdebase-meta. You will then need to install kde-apps-meta (or the smaller meta-packages) which will upgrade you to KDE Applications 15.12.3 which contains both kdelibs4- and KF5-based packages.
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for clarifying. That does not sound too bad, I guess.

My main problem with KDE5 was Plasma 5, Wayland and SDDM, I think.

So, I will remove all KDE5 masks and "-qt5" and see what happens.
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the update to Plasma 4 plus new KDE apps does not work and I am pretty lost, how to solve that.

This is the output of emerge:
http://pastebin.com/Ufwa0Zvz

This is the output of emerge --info:
http://pastebin.com/K84jHwhs

I have removed all masks of KDE5 packages.

I am on profile:
[6] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde *

I have USE:
kde-apps/kde4-l10n -minimal

I uninstalled all KDE meta packages:
equery list "*meta*"
* Searching for *meta* ...
[IP-] [ ] kde-base/kfilemetadata-4.14.3:4/4.14
[IP-] [ ] media-plugins/gst-plugins-meta-0.10-r10:0.10

I even uninstalled kde4-l10n, but it gets pulled in again. This is the first hard block, as far as I can see.

The other one is media-libs/libvpx, which I don't know how to solve either.

Any help/hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidamos wrote:
I have USE:
kde-apps/kde4-l10n -minimal

That's wrong, scan your package.use for that entry and remove it. You need to have kde4-l10n[minimal], which is the ebuild's default.

libvpx should solve itself afterwards or at least with adding a higher --backtrack value.
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! This resolved the KDE conflicts. Some time ago, I added that USE flag, but I don't remember why.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...because you needed it for legacy localisation for legacy applications and Plasma ;)
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your help.
The update went smoothly (had to reinstall dolphin) and most things seem to work OK so far (except x2go, but this is always a bit tricky).

As for libvpx:
I uninstalled 1.4.0 and with backtrack=10, it installed 1.3.0, still complaining about conflicts.
With backtrack=100, it installed 1.4.0 again, still complaining about conflicts.
I guess, this will resolve itself with the next mythtv ebuild update.
nelsonwcf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've tried to follow all the suggestions in the thread so far but my portage is still trying to bring KDE 5. I'm guessing that I emerged something that could be bringing all KDE 5 but I don't know how to find which file is causing this. I've pasted my emerge results in the pastebin below and I'm asking if someone can take a look at it and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

http://pastebin.com/DedeLXPk

Thank you.

BTW, I know that portage treats emerged dependencies different than explicit requested emerges. Is there any way for me to check all the explicit requests I made in the emerge?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that looks fine actually. Plasma-4 is not unmerged in your output. The Applications upgrades are fine, and of course they bring in Frameworks.

There is no way to keep KDE SC 4 as it's gone from the tree (with the exception of Plasma-4), except if you add an overlay (and then keep the masks).
nelsonwcf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
No, that looks fine actually. Plasma-4 is not unmerged in your output. The Applications upgrades are fine, and of course they bring in Frameworks.

There is no way to keep KDE SC 4 as it's gone from the tree (with the exception of Plasma-4), except if you add an overlay (and then keep the masks).

So I should accept all automasks requests to be able to update it? If I do that, won't line 95 in the pastebin uninstall KDE 4?

But if KDE SC 4 is gone from the tree, what its replacement would be? KDE 5 Plasma? If so, why did Gentoo replaced a stable software for a borderline-alpha software like KDE 5 Plasma?

Again, thank you!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: