Why can't I start SDDM as a user?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Why can't I start SDDM as a user? Reply with quote

I am not sure if I have a configuration problem, bug, or I am just misunderstanding how SDDM should work but...

I boot my box and use tmux as my first landing point. I like to launch whatever GUI I will be using from there manually. In the past, I could start my GUI's as the user (ieg: startx, startxfce4, etc) but for some odd reason, SDDM will only run if I launch it with sudo or as root. I assume this is not ideal but I am stumped as to what is going on.

If I launch SDDM as a user, I get a black screen that seems to be stalled out. This seems similar to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1012892-start-0.html but I can launch SDDM as root or sudo so am not sure if it is the same issue.

If I force quit at the black screen, I can see the message stating that "Failed to change the owner of the socket...blah,blah...failed to change owner of the auth file." But unfortunately, can't give exact verbiage because the SDDM.log file isn't logging this incident when it happens. There is actually a gap in time in the log. SDDM.LOG https://bpaste.net/show/d87cd75b4d15 The gap in logging time occurs between
Code:
[11:36:26.505] (WW) DAEMON: QProcess: Destroyed while process ("/usr/libexec/sddm-helper") is still running.
and
Code:
[11:44:34.958] (II) DAEMON: Initializing...

The user is added to the video group as instructed in the SDDM wiki https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SDDM so I am not sure what is going on.
Any ideas. I can still launch xfce as user so it must be something with my sddm?

As a side note I would also like to be able to stop sddm and return to TMUX but now it will only let me logout to the SDDM start screen or poweroff/reboot. Is this related as well?
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: sddm is a login manager and basically is a service Reply with quote

sddm is a login manager in much the same vein as gdm for gnome, kdm for kde4 and earlier, lightdm for newer gnome, etc and of course the grandaddy of them all: xdm.

These services basically put up a welcoming screen, handle remote login (ie xdmcp) and act as gatekeepers for getting login credentials and then putting a user into a session. You've been used to the "I'm already logged in" bit where you login to a shell and then use startx and the like to get your desktop. sddm and the like basically replace the shell part of the login and then take you into startx.

So as a service, it is traditional to run these things as root, so that they can do things on your half and then "become" you for the session. After you bail, they take over the window again.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: sddm is a login manager and basically is a service Reply with quote

vaxbrat wrote:
sddm is a login manager in much the same vein as gdm for gnome, kdm for kde4 and earlier, lightdm for newer gnome, etc and of course the grandaddy of them all: xdm.

These services basically put up a welcoming screen, handle remote login (ie xdmcp) and act as gatekeepers for getting login credentials and then putting a user into a session. You've been used to the "I'm already logged in" bit where you login to a shell and then use startx and the like to get your desktop. sddm and the like basically replace the shell part of the login and then take you into startx.

So as a service, it is traditional to run these things as root, so that they can do things on your half and then "become" you for the session. After you bail, they take over the window again.

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand what you are saying but where I am lost is that I am still logging in at the console first so why is it that only SDDM requires me to log in, again, as root? Am I suppose to be launching SDDM another way at the CLI? Basically, I thought that was how we are required to launch KDE now. I'd be happy to forego it entirely for something that just dumped me into Plasma.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDDM is started by xdm, not by the user.

From tty you use startkde inside your .xinitrc to then startx.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
SDDM is started by xdm, not by the user.

From tty you use startkde inside your .xinitrc to then startx.

Sorry I am a little dense/confused on this subject.

I guess what I am trying to discern is 1) If SDDM is how I should be launching plasma? It is being pulled in after the upgrade.

I launch all of my GUI's from TMUX and have always launched them as the user. Is this incorrect and if so why do all of the other GUI's I use allow it?

Basically I could do without the SDDM landing screen totally. I just need a way to launch plasma manually.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you launch KDM as a user?
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Did you launch KDM as a user?

Yes I believe so. SDDM is the only time I have had to sudo or login as root to launch.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: