[SOLV]problem with many games after moving into KDE 5 Plasma
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: [SOLV]problem with many games after moving into KDE 5 Plasma Reply with quote

Hi,

After moving from KDE 4 into Plasma 5, I have some problems with few games from Steam, which used to work fine on the same laptop.

1) Some of them works just fine like before: Dota 2, Empire Total War, Civilization 5, War Thunder, etc

2) Few of them have strange behavior,
- Hacknet, I can see start menu, I can see mouse pointer, but clicking on the menu doesn't work
- X-Com Enemy Unkown, I have the menu, but reaction on the mouse-click is late about 3-7 seconds
- Total War Attila, the same like above, reaction on the mouse-click is late about 5-7 seconds, game start slowly, about 60 seconds, demo show 8fps (it used to e 25-30 on KDE 4).
- Gnomoria - when the game start, I cannot move anything by mouse.

Do you have any idea?

Last edited by Xywa on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Go back to kde4.
Kde5 is not ready for prime time.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerard82 wrote:
Yes.
Go back to kde4.
Kde5 is not ready for prime time.
Gerard.

I am going to do some more tests with differnet drivers, as eg. some time ago few games were not working with 361.28 driver (others were just fine).
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/915789/linux/361-28-gtx-580-steam-several-games-don-t-start-up/?offset=5#4802887
famous GLVND added in 361.28.
Nvidia 361.28 and GLVND with steam games
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/44zqau/nvidia_36128_and_glvnd_with_steam_games/

During the test I manage to working Hacknet, but I did not wrote driver number, as other games were still affected. On konsole it looks like it is something correlated with xkbcomp, as it shows some errors and had to restart those thing during affected games work.

Need some more testing.
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a sollution for Hacknet which works, and which gave me 5fps more for WarThunder:

I took this advice from Ubuntu forum, and for gaming I switch (Compositor Settings for Desktop Effects) into Xrender instead of OpenGL 3.1.
Erdie
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I habe the same problem but I dont find the compositor settings in the section "Desktop Effects". Maybe this is caused be the urgly german translation. Could you explain where this is?

Update: I got it, thanks
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one way is to run a separte x-server, as we used to only for games.

another way is to run a plain x session or someting small.

I do not get hte point / see it very useful all the junk gnome 2, kde 3 or lets say android phone os offers. All bells and whistles which do not aid much.

the time needed to start an application, the memory footprint of the hole desctop environment running nothing, the usability, the easiest way to do something is long gone for all those desctop environments.

rant, e.g. last time i have read about those sony playstation and xbox thing. basically they have 8gb of ram in the game box, but the game can only utilize 4 - 5gb of ram because the other junk is needed or reserved for the gaming operating system. microsoft runs afaik according what i have read this month windows on their xbox.

When you are a gamer, you use the game as application and you do not need all those processes, heavy memory footprints of kde.

i3wm delivers some sort of auto complete shell which starts anything. in my opinion you just need a shell and an x-server for all those x-server based games.
Erdie
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a occasional gamer but I want it to work on my desktop without switching to somewhere else. Using xrender instead of opengl works for me, thats fine.
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erdie wrote:
I am a occasional gamer but I want it to work on my desktop without switching to somewhere else. Using xrender instead of opengl works for me, thats fine.

In my case, switching Plasma 5 from OpenGL into XRender fixed a problem for few games. But in pure X system (xterm), looks like mouse and keyboard doesn't work in the steam games, so I have to force close X :/

I was trying the solution with switching off compositor Alt+Shit+F12, the same story like with pure X (not working mouse and keyboard).
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may check xorg.logs and compare on how they are initalized in your desctop envirionment and pure x-session.

Usually you can configure your hardware with tools also in a plain xorg-session
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
you may check xorg.logs and compare on how they are initalized in your desctop envirionment and pure x-session.

Usually you can configure your hardware with tools also in a plain xorg-session

Did not help. But this is not Plasma 5 related :) It is dbus related (especially on amd64).

Thanks to this topic:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dota-2/issues/921
and this sollution:
Quote:
First of all, here is the temporary solution:
Start Steam like this:
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="$(dbus-daemon --session --print-address --fork)"
steam
[quote]

All the games works fine now :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: