View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Plasma 5 Crashes EVERYDAY!!! Reply with quote

Sick to death of Plasma 5. Since I upgraded it crashes daily...multiple times. Generally is is some kind of segmentation fault eg
Code:
Executable: plasmashell PID: 28532 Signal: Segmentation fault (11) Time: 6/15/16 12:25:35
but sometimes it changes.

Before I dump it to return to KDE 4 are there any suggestions about how I can "fix" this?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does that happen?
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is it is rock solid stable for me now. The stability is beyond what I saw in even KDE4. I have zero crashes now and never have to reboot. More verbose log output as well as information on your configuration might help in fixing the issue.
kharitonow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
All I can say is it is rock solid stable for me now. The stability is beyond what I saw in even KDE4. I have zero crashes now and never have to reboot. More verbose log output as well as information on your configuration might help in fixing the issue.

Affirmative. Also it would be useful to see plasma and qt version.
orionbelt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you, people, who experience zero crashes and stability better than KDE4!

As for me, even though i do not experience daily crashes of Plasma 5 itself as the original poster does (i did experience some, though, at the beginning), i am having a number of quite severe issues and individual application crashes that made me fed up with KDE, and in particular with their team's evil decision to abandon support of KDE4 when Plasma 5 is still so fragile, i.e. a repeat of the sins of the KDE3-to-KDE4 transition. I am now on the verge of abandoning KDE (thank you, Linux!) but i decided to use (waste?) some of my precious little available time to list the problems i have, in part to vent, in part just in case there is a solution that i overlooked.

So there you go, enjoy:

EDIT: Following genstorm's suggestion below, i moved my ramblings here, with some additional edits. Sorry for the distraction, and good luck to the original poster!

Last edited by orionbelt on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't capture a support thread that isn't yours. There is a dedicated Plasma-5 thread if you need to vent.
orionbelt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the "KDE 5 - How is it?" thread?

I.e. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1040846.html
orionbelt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following genstorm's suggestion, i moved my ramblings here, with some additional edits. Sorry for the distraction, and good luck to the original poster!
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
When does that happen?

I am not seeing any obvious pattern.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kharitonow wrote:
davidm wrote:

Affirmative. Also it would be useful to see plasma and qt version.

eix -I plasma |wgetpaste
Your paste can be seen here: https://bpaste.net/show/1bd93dd0053e

eix -I qt |wgetpaste
Your paste can be seen here:[url] https://bpaste.net/show/30199c79997e[/url]

I am sorry but I am not sure what log output you require. Let me know and I will add it.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use the standard breeze theme or anything else? What graphics driver?
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plasma crashes I did suffered from went away with 5.6.5
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Do you use the standard breeze theme or anything else? What graphics driver?

I haven't changed any of the "default" setting for it since I upgraded. Quite frankly I only did so because of the news item in portage advising that we do so because KDE4 was no longer going to be supported.

Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toralf wrote:
The plasma crashes I did suffered from went away with 5.6.5

I see that 5.5.5 is the only stable version in portage at the moment so rather not bump up yet but...if that is my only option could do so.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth it imo rather than spending too much of time fighting bugs. For many people 5.5.5 works perfectly fine, for those where it doesn't, the upgrade to 5.6.5 makes sense. It will be the next stable version anyway. At the same time it means upgrading to Qt-5.6.1.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
It is worth it imo rather than spending too much of time fighting bugs. For many people 5.5.5 works perfectly fine, for those where it doesn't, the upgrade to 5.6.5 makes sense. It will be the next stable version anyway. At the same time it means upgrading to Qt-5.6.1.

Yeah but I see in other threads that some are having problems with the unstable version.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1043724-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html

Decisions decisions.

I do wonder why we were instructed to upgrade when clearly there are still issues with Plasma 5.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was solved (bad USE flag setting).
gorg86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plasma5 made the radeon module crash on my machine. Updating the kernel solved the issue for me. Which kernel version do you use?
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasma 5 Crashes EVERYDAY!!! Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
Before I dump it to return to KDE 4 are there any suggestions about how I can "fix" this?

1. I'd suggest checking with a newly minted user (or backing up your existing user home directory). KDE upgrades are notorious for breaking with old user settings... Things haven't changed much on that score...
  2. Strip your UI experience down to the bear minimum. In my experience plasmashell is very fragile tends to break if you enable the "wrong" plasmoids, etc. 8O
  3. Hitch yourself to KDE Bugzilla train... (I'm subscribed to quite a few just now!!)

So I recommend attempting to pin down the problem area(s) - easier to do with a stripped down "test" user perhaps? Also I'd suggested that there isn't really a "stable" Plasma 5 experience... yet. Personally I'm pretty happy with Qt 5.7.0 , KDE Frameworks 5.23.0 and Plasma 5.6.95. Things start to break if I move plasmoids around or enable any desktop plasmoids - but that's been the case for Plasma 5 - in my experience. There's quite a few bugs still hanging around - but these are mainly "papercut" issues that I can live with or workaround. Things are getting (noticeably) better as I upgrade. The commit logs for KWin for example bear this out (as an example) - Martin's putting a lot of work into fixing bugs just now. Had issues with my panel struts (basically the on-screen zone that the panel excludes other windows from) on 5.6.5 that was fixed with 5.6.95 for example...

Obviously check your graphics driver - if your having issues with sddm or kwin with compositing. For myself I'm rolling on the bleeding edge Nvidia drivers - these haven't been giving me too much grief in recent months. But if you're using Intel, AMD or hybrid - then things are perhaps less rosy?? 8)

Just my $0.02 anyway.
Bob
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Plasma-5.6.5, things run perfectly fine with AMD and mostly ok with whatever Intel snapshot you might be using right now and whatever regression that may hold. Nvidia users probably had the worst time judging by forum threads so far so your remark comes as surprise, but from those, hybrid graphics might have have been the real cause for issues. Imo buying such a system really is self-inflicted pain though.

Don't drive people into using Plasma betas and Qt versions out of tree, it is no improvement to a solid 5.6.5 release with Qt-5.6.1.
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Don't drive people into using Plasma betas and Qt versions out of tree, it is no improvement to a solid 5.6.5 release with Qt-5.6.1.

Well I second that - which was why I only backed up my move up to Plasma 5.6.95.
Really there is no justification for my being on Qt 5.7.0 - except that I like to ride quite close to the bleeding edge... 8O

Bob
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
krotuss
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
genstorm wrote:
When does that happen?

I am not seeing any obvious pattern.

For me it usually crashes on kwallet password query, and today (2/2) on konsoles "do you really want to paste xxx lines?" dialog.
as.gentoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that plasmashell (kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.6.5.1) crashes at least twice a day producing large core files.
Code:
$> llh ~/core
-rw------- 1 xxx users 2,3G 22. Jun 13:01 /home/xxx/core

$> file /home/xxx/core
/home/xxx/core: ELF 64-bit LSB core file x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), SVR4-style, from '/usr/bin/plasmashell --shut-up', real uid: 1000, effective uid: 1000, real gid: 100, effective gid: 100, execfn: '/usr/bin/plasmashell', platform: 'x86_64

$> uname -a
Linux magic 4.5.0-gentoo-* #14 SMP x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I can't supply a backtrace since I have no clue to how force plasmashell contain such information.
Code:
sudo FEATURES="nostrip" CFLAGS="-march=native -ggdb3 -O1 -pipe -frecord-gcc-switches" CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" emerge -v1 =kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.6.5.1
does not help.

It usually crashes when I open or close or switch to a program or click something in the control panel.

EDIT #1: My box uses the radeon driver.

EDIT #2: This is shown in the xsession-error file when it happens. This time it did when I clicked on the clock-widget in order to get the mini-clandar.
Code:
Could not resolve property : linearGradient5167
Could not resolve property : linearGradient5167
link XMLID_5_ hasn't been detected!
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:96: TypeError: Cannot read property of null
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:96: TypeError: Cannot read property of null
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.windowlist/contents/ui/TaskDelegate.qml:64: ReferenceError: minimized is not defined
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.windowlist/contents/ui/TaskDelegate.qml:64: ReferenceError: minimized is not defined
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/plasma/calendar/DayDelegate.qml:129:25: Unable to assign [undefined] to double
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/plasma/calendar/DayDelegate.qml:129:25: Unable to assign [undefined] to double
[...]
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 13772, resource id: 38972715, major code: 20 (GetProperty), minor code: 0
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/plasmashell from kdeinit
KCrash: Application 'plasmashell' crashing...
Service  "org.kde.StatusNotifierHost-17529" unregistered
org.kde.knotifications: env says KDE is running but SNI unavailable -- check KDE_FULL_SESSION and XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 16560, resource id: 39845906, major code: 15 (QueryTree), minor code: 0
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 16624, resource id: 39845912, major code: 15 (QueryTree), minor code: 0
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 16687, resource id: 39845927, major code: 15 (QueryTree), minor code: 0
org.kde.plasma: unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
org.kde.plasma: unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
Calling KPluginInfo::property("Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::name() in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/plasma/dataengine/ion_noaa.so" instead.
Calling KPluginInfo::property("Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::name() in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/plasma/dataengine/ion_wettercom.so" instead.
Calling KPluginInfo::property("Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::name() in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/plasma/dataengine/ion_bbcukmet.so" instead.
Calling KPluginInfo::property("Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo::name() in "/usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/plasma/dataengine/ion_envcan.so" instead.
init()
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I can confirm that it is always a segmentation fault but the PID changes.

Of course, if I check that process post crash it no longer exists. I assume this is because the fault kills it so I am not sure how to determine what process(es) are the problem.
kensington
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to get a backtrace - does drkonqi launch at all? If a core dump is being produced, it should be possible to analyse that with gdb too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: