View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skiwarz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: [solved]kscreen "Backend invalidated" Reply with quote

I updated from kde4 to kde5 yesterday, and everything went generally smoothly, except for one thing.
I have two monitors connected to an AMD Radeon HD4670, one DVI and one VGA. After installing kde plasma, both monitors are mirrored, which is not what I want.
Changing the settings in the kde control panel has no effect. I am able to access the "Display Configuration" page once, then after closing and re-opening it I see a message "No kscreen backend found. Please check your kscreen installation."
When I "alt+F1" back to my CLI, I see two lines continuously being output to the screen:
Code:
kscreen: Failed to retrieve current config: "Backend invalidated"
bluedevil: ObexManager operational changed false

All of this leads me to believe that it's a problem with kscreen (obviously), but I'm lost as to what to do now. Things I have tried:
emerge -uDN world
re-emerge kscreen
searched google, but to no avail.
Any ideas?

I've looked, but cannot find any config files for kscreen. Is it an X-server problem? It worked flawlessly in kde4.

Last edited by skiwarz on Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
skiwarz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, if I kill the process "KDED5", I can change my monitor settings again and achieve a dual-monitor configuration, although it's a little glitchy afterwards. Reverts back to the same problem each time I load KDE, however.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't be of more help but I just wanted to say that Plasma 5.6.1 hit ~amd64 today in portage. You might give upgrading a shot to see if it helps any with your issue.

Also I have heard that qt 5.6 is supposed to have significant muli-monitor fixes. You'd have to use the qt overlay (I'm not sure when qt 5.6 will be released to ~amd64) and I'm not sure how ready it is but I thought I'd mention it as an option.

I use two monitors (but nvidia / nouveau) and it works great here. You might check for GPU specific or driver specific bugs?
skiwarz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Thanks! I didn't know they were out yet. I'll give that a shot. I'm installing the fglrx drivers now, to see if it make a difference...
skiwarz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dice with plasma 5.6.1. Oh well. It's usable, I guess :?
skiwarz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all things, it was "bluedevil" the bluetooth daemon, that was causing issues. I don't even have a bluetooth radio, and it's being pulled in as a dependency. Hmm...
But I guess kded couldn't load it as a module and got stuck in a loop, loading an infinite number of "bluedevil" sessions. Therefore, it could never move on and load kscreen. Another symptom I noticed was my RAM slowly filling up over ~24 hours due to this. DIsabling bluedevil auto-loading in kded fixed this. Now my screen works perfectly. The command I used was
Code:
qdbus org.kde.kded5 /kded org.kde.kded5.setModuleAutoloading bluedevil false
Quazil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I had the same problem with bluedevil (plasma 5.5.5) and this fixed it.
My system was usable but several processes were using 50~70% CPU (kscreen_backend_launcher, et. al.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: