View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an example I notice with Applications 16.04 (using Gentoo kde-overlay) it appears they finally fixed a longstanding (1.5 years) bug with Dolphin and baloo's star ratings for files:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=339863

That was the last holdout bug I was seeing. Now the only bug I actually experience which bothers me (though just a very little) is I have to reload to see the new star ratings in Dolphin. For me at the moment with this bugfix Plasma 5 is officially working as good or better than kde4 with all the same features I had before. :)
CyberMuz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't figure out how to set custom shortcuts for launching apps. I want to have Ctrl+Alt+T to launch terminal (KOnsole). I used to set this in System Settings -> Global Shortcuts -> Custom shortcuts but on KDE 5 I can't find a way to assign this. Is there some other way?
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberMuz wrote:
I can't figure out how to set custom shortcuts for launching apps. I want to have Ctrl+Alt+T to launch terminal (KOnsole). I used to set this in System Settings -> Global Shortcuts -> Custom shortcuts but on KDE 5 I can't find a way to assign this. Is there some other way?

Right click on the K menu button - "edit applications". Or launch kmenuedit directly. In the second tab of the property page of every menu entry you can assign a shortcut.
CyberMuz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apheus wrote:
CyberMuz wrote:

Right click on the K menu button - "edit applications". Or launch kmenuedit directly. In the second tab of the property page of every menu entry you can assign a shortcut.

Thank you, I forgot about this menu. It turns out that I already had assigned the shortcut there but it wasn't working. I deleted the shortcut and reassigned the same key combination and not it's working. :)
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: A fresh install is amazing, an upgrade results into desaster Reply with quote

These I my experiences:

Approximately one year ago I bought a new laptop in addition to my (productive) desktop PC. As I only need the laptop for presentations I decided to be a little bit risky and give KDE 5 a try on my laptop right from the beginning. Hence, I installed KDE 5 from the KDE overlay on the laptop even it was still hard masked back then. I was pleasantly surprised, because I did not experienced any major bug only minor flaws, like missing or ugly icons, graphical glitches but never a real show stopper. I started with 15.04.xy, upgraded to 15.08.xy and finally I reached at 15.12.3. My desktop PC stayed with KDE 4 during that time.

However I liked KDE 5 a lot better than KDE 4. It was running faster and more responsive even though my laptop is not as powerful as my desktop PC. Hence, I was happy to see the news that KDE 5 finally became part of the official portage tree and I was eager to upgrade my desktop PC, too, given the positive experience from my laptop.

The upgrade process was smooth, but the result a disaster. 8O First KDE 5 was extremely slow. This was due to a cashing problem, because of orphan files from KDE 4. (See KDE5 slow and lagging after upgrade from KDE 4 [SOLVED]). But two major show stopper remain:

Interestingly, I do not have theses problems on my laptop. However, my laptop was a fresh installation not an upgrade. I compared the list of installed packages on both boxes ("equery list -f '.*'") and they are identical. Both boxes have identical use-flags, identical settings in /etc/portage/make.conf, identical /var/lib/portage/world files. I already have done a complete re-emerge of every package on my desktop PC, because I supposed a linker problem. It did not help. At the moment I use my laptop for productive work, because my desktop PC is unusable. :( :evil:
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagmat84,
what you describe is the single most horrendous issue with KDE upgrades: They never provide a clear path from one major version to the next. In my opinion, it is the developers' responsibility to make the upgrade a smooth experience for the user. With KDE, your single best bet is to wipe out all config files and start over from scratch. However, having upgraded from KDE 3 through 4 and now 5 while keeping my /home mostly intact, I've never done that, and the result is that KDE behaves badly in several ways. I simply refuse to delete random config files from my system. And I've never seen a detailed guide to whatever config that would need to be changed. I guess that nobody has.
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leifbk,
yes, but it is one thing if the new major version just performs poorly due to old configurations, but it is a totally different thing if it crashes without giving any information about what is wrong.

Old and obsolete cash entries, old configurations pointing to entities that no longer exists and similar might make a new version respond slowly. This is not nice and I do not want to come to the developer's defense, but I accept that it is somehow comprehensible. Sure, it would be good practice if the software was intelligent enough to recognize these situations and sanitize old configurations.

However, a crash due to a segmentation fault or a freeze due to deadlock of semaphores is always a real bug of a piece of software. No matter how an old configuration file looks like it should never be able to trigger those problems. A programmer should always consider that a configuration file might be broken. It does not need to be outdated to be like that, may be it just broken due to a previous write error. Any software that reads some sort of input (and configuration files are input in my opinion) should at least verify the input such that it neither runs in a segmentation fault nor in a deadlock. If the input is so broken that the software cannot proceed any further then it should give a message what line of configuration is broken at least and then terminate. But a segmentation fault without any previous error message is a major bug in any case.
schorsch_76
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about creating a new test user with an empty HOME and start KDE5 there? This would show if it is an config issue .
git clone https://github.com/schorsch1976/portage
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did create a new profile and the problems are gone away. While I tried out a new user profile I found a new (minor) bug. At various places wrong symbols are used.

With respect to the segmentation fault of Firefox I already tried to run Firefox with an empty Firefox profile. The problem remained. Because GIMP is affected, too, I believe it is a problem of the GTK Breeze theme and I already tried to re-apply the theme trough the system settings. It did not help!

I have a very grown user profile. To start over with a complete new user profile and re-apply all settings such that the new profile is identical to my current one would take me hours if not days. This is what drives me really angry! I could start and try to delete random config files from my user profile until I find the correct one, but actually this is really insane.

I really like KDE 5 and there are many aspects that are better than in KDE 4. But I cannot recommend to anybody to upgrade if they cannot afford to restart with a clean user profile. Grmpf!
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my system to ~amd64 - it seemed kind of defeating the purpose to have half a mile of unstable packages in package.keywords. There was one major stumbling block, the gcc upgrade, which I discovered in the middle of my somewhat naively contrived "emerge -avUDN @world" when compilation of new plasma packages just kept crashing. Then I fell into a nasty rabbit hole with unresolved dependencies out of whither the only sane escape was an "emerge -e @world", but now I have a working system. And lo and behold, the annoying plasmashell segfault every time I moved the mouse over the taskbar has gone away :)
knopper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read the whole topic, so I'm sorry if I mention anything that has been said before already... :)

Either way, I upgraded to KDE 5 when it turned stable on amd64. I was really unhappy, because it (plasmashell to be specific) crashed all the time which made it quite unusable. The key to my problems seemed to be the nouveau driver.

I found the problem today though after reading a lot of bug reports... GLES2 is causing all the issues for the nouveau driver.

So a simple
Code:

euse -D gles2

and a couple of minutes (hours?) later due to recompiling the affected packages everything worked perfectly!
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that S.S.D.s, which eliminate much of the delay involved in loading a large desktop environment like Plasma 5, are inexpensive, there isn't much of a difference, in terms of loading times, between starting Openbox and starting Plasma 5.

I know, realistically, that I shouldn't care much about initial loading times because rebooting is largely unnecessary nowadays, but I do find myself rebooting to test things in other operating systems or just because Plasma 5 can be rather unstable.

I must admit that I am pleased with the concept of Plasma 5. It works very well. We are years past the Windows Vista-like K.D.E. 4. In my mind, K.D.E. 4 was like Windows Vista, and GNOME 3 was like Windows 8; 4 was bloated, and 3 had an odd interface. Similarly, I am far past the days when my only laptop was a Pentium III with 128 M.B. of R.A.M. (in 2009) and I wanted something as light as possible. I still like Openbox very much. Unfortunately, some software that I use for work requires a heavier desktop environment to work properly with multiple monitors, so I found myself trying GNOME, Plasma, K.D.E., Cinnamon, XFCE, Enlightenment...

I think that Plasma 5 would be a very nice desktop environment if it didn't do ridiculously embarrassing things like crash when the screen is locked. I mean, really, some crashes I can tolerate, but crashing and unlocking the screen? That is awful, one of the worst crashes imaginable. If you're going to crash in a situation like that, please at least crash the whole thing back to the login screen or console, not to my desktop.

Also, after I switched back from systemd to sysvinit/openrc with consolekit, I can no longer suspend the laptop using the option in the menu, though 'echo mem > sys/power/state' works fine, as does sleeping in XFCE.

So that's my opinion of Plasma 5 so far. :)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keet wrote:
I think that Plasma 5 would be a very nice desktop environment if it didn't do ridiculously embarrassing things like crash when the screen is locked. I mean, really, some crashes I can tolerate, but crashing and unlocking the screen? That is awful, one of the worst crashes imaginable.

I've good news on that one: Plasma-5.6.x still crashes on screen standby, but recovers instantly; Qt-5.6.1 will contain a fix that, combined with a patch for Plasma-5.6.x that gets rid of kscreen, makes these crashes a thing of the past.
uraes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upgraded yesterday to stable plasma, not bad at all. Saw few crashes (one triggered by right-click-on-sound-icon-in-systray) but gerally is everything working well. Got even my dual-monitor config working in better way than under KDE4.

But, few things.
* Living without kdenlive and k3b is ok, I have alternative computers (kubuntu, gentoo with kde4 and.. God forgive me.. even win10)
* living without clementine.. don't know yet.. I have large mp3 collection and every day listening a lot of streaming stations (du-du-dubstep!).. as upgrade was yesterday I havent figured out yet any qt5-ready player (i removed qt4 completely and for now I don't want it back, to keep system cleaner), suggestions?
* living without skype, that's an problem. For now I'm running skype in virtual-win, and also on secondary computer (gentoo with kde4 and win), but I need it on main-computer, on Gentoo!. But.. as linux-client seems to be abandoned (too many things which even didn't work under qt4 (new voice chats, api, ..) by m$... I don't know yet good solution for that. maybe wine+skype?

So.. if trying to upgrade to plasma, check out if your most-needed-program can run, or can you run it somewhere else. If no problems, for sure it is time to give a chance to plasma.

Maybe most weird with emerging "plasma-meta" is that things like dolphin, kate, kwrite.. they need to be installed separately.. thought that meta adds _everything_ like kde4
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uraes wrote:
Maybe most weird with emerging "plasma-meta" is that things like dolphin, kate, kwrite.. they need to be installed separately.. thought that meta adds _everything_ like kde4

No, but the Portage news item made that clear, and the upgrade guide makes that clear as well. ;) There's of course meta packages for applications.

uraes wrote:
* Living without kdenlive

No need to, check out >=kdenlive-15.12.3
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to remove Qt4? Clementine 1.3.1 is running as usual here under Plasma / KDE 5 with ~amd64. I haven't tested K3B yet as I don't rip and burn CDs or DVDs that often anymore, but I've got it in my menu and suppose it works just as it did under KDE 4.
uraes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.. Portage news item made that clear, ...

Yeah, now I see. Just everything came in such a hurry for me, will read those. Also kdenlive 15.12.3 is compiling as I'm writing :)

Quote:
Why would you want to remove Qt4? Clementine 1.3.1 ..

to keep clean, at least for now :) maybe later, but anyway.. those apps should now keep some speed with us and upgrade also to qt5. And on the other hand.. clemendine seems also zombie project, and even amarok is not qt5 ready ... :(
And still, main problem is skype.

... aaand kdenlive finished, Great Success :)
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebooting still takes a lot of time.
Tried to set my cd.dvd player to play a music cd when I pop one in.
Searched everywhere for docs,came up with zero.
In the handbook I found something about wacomtablet that was talking about HAL for God's sake.
Lots of KDE forums and docs are so outdated,why don't they clean it up?
I made the right decision to install on a separate partition so I still have my KDE4.
I will try some other WM soon because I am getting too frustrated by all this.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Whether I can "handle" it, is irrelevant to time-loss, which I simply cannot afford right now.

davidm wrote:
Yes it definitely takes some time. But that is to some extent the trade off in using Gentoo.

Nope; it is the trade-off inherent in pushing KDE-X to stable too early.
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My case,

I had on the same laptop for few last years KDE4 (without any bigger problems) and later on Plasma5 through migration (as I could not update kdenlive, which I use for my work). As there were so many changes during last years, and as I had few unresolved things, I finally found this: The problem may be caused by old cache:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Clean_cache_to_resolve_upgrade_problems
Quote:
The problem may be caused by old cache. Sometimes after an upgrade, the old cache might introduce strange, hard to debug behaviour such as unkillable shells, hangs when changing various settings and several other problems such as ark being unable to unrar or unzip or amarok not recognizing any of your music. This solution can also resolve problems with KDE and Qt programmes looking bad following upgrade.

But as this solution for arch^^, did not help me in all problems, I inspired this^^ option decided to setup a mint-fresh stable Gentoo amd64 with Plasma5.

Now, so far, looks like everything works just perfect without any problems (in compare to my old system through migration). I have stable system with newest (~amd64) kdenlive (16.04.1), mlt, ffmpeg and other video and video-editing related options. System looks and behave better than in KDE4. Many thanks to all the people form Gentoo forum :)
8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xywa wrote:
My case,
Now, so far, looks like everything works just perfect without any problems (in compare to my old system through migration). I have stable system with newest (~amd64) kdenlive (16.04.1), mlt, ffmpeg and other video and video-editing related options. System looks and behave better than in KDE4. Many thanks to all the people form Gentoo forum :)
8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D

Great news... Sounds like you've been struggling with a tonne of issues... 8)

Probably like the feeling I got - when I finally got Plasma 5 working... Only 3 weeks of staring at a black screen :lol:
Boy that was hard work :x :? 8O
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed LXQT in the hope I could use kde apps like wacomtablet and system-settings.
No dice.
So I reinstalled kde5 again.
Still very poor on docs.
Installed wacomtablet,don't work.
Found /usr/bin/kde-wacom-tabletfinder.
Tried to run it both as user and as root:No such file or directory!
Docs on wacom nonexisting.
Needless to say that in kde4 everything works like a charm.
I'ĺl come back in maybe 6 months.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of wacomtablet did you install?
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest of course.
You seem to know a lot of kde5.
Please direct me to up to date configuration docs.
I intend to make the switch (simply have to) eventually.
Gerard.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest would be 3.0.0_beta1 (slot 5)? Because that is only ~amd64, not stable keyworded yet. And slot 4 version won't work in Plasma-5.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: