Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED]: Does it make sense to upgrade or just re-install?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor,
I'm currently using OpenRC with GNOME2.
My plan is to move to systemd with GNOME3.

But right now all I want is to update the system and then do the switch to that. That's why I was surprised to see that emerge system will pull X + GNOME.

Thank you.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you just need a gtk/gtk3 use flag set to trigger gnome and friends from system.
I don't know who trigger it, gnome-keyring looks a good candidate, you might wish disable any gtk, gnome... useflag to update system without adding gtk/gnome in it.

But from your output, i would take care of that list specially before going further into system update:
- gcc need/use mpfr/mpc, better update that first and safely (you know how it is bad to use a broken gcc)
- glibc, as part of toolchain, like gcc, it should be handle before anything.
- perl upgrade is easy, but all perl modules are bitches, because some cannot be use with newer version, some doesn't even exist anymore in the tree... i would remove all perl modules i have no need myself to ease perl upgrade, while perl-updater could rebuild ones that could be use with the newer perl version, it always fail if one module is no more in the tree, and removing them one by one is boring.
- wget, because it's awful to see later that you cannot download anything if broken. (remember i've hint you to -f anything before action)
- libpng upgrade could be bugger and i will handle it alone
- didn't really see if it is in your list, but python will have also a special attention from me, as portage love python.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:

Well, you just need a gtk/gtk3 use flag set to trigger gnome and friends from system.
I don't know who trigger it, gnome-keyring looks a good candidate, you might wish disable any gtk, gnome... useflag to update system without adding gtk/gnome in it.

But from your output, i would take care of that list specially before going further into system update:
- gcc need/use mpfr/mpc, better update that first and safely (you know how it is bad to use a broken gcc)

It looks like gcc is up to date:

Code:

IgorReinCloud igor # PORTDIR_OVERLAY="" emerge -pv gcc
!!! SYNC setting found in make.conf.
    This setting is Deprecated and no longer used.  Please ensure your 'sync-type' and 'sync-uri' are set correctly in /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  rR    ] sys-process/procps-3.3.10-r1::gentoo  USE="ncurses nls unicode -modern-top (-selinux) -static-libs -systemd {-test}" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-devel/gcc-4.9.3:4.9.3::gentoo  USE="cxx (multilib) nls nptl openmp sanitize (-altivec) (-awt) -cilk -debug -doc (-fixed-point) -fortran -gcj -go -graphite (-hardened) (-libssp) -multislot* -nopie -nossp -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -regression-test -vanilla" 0 KiB
[blocks B      ] <sys-devel/gcc-4.9 ("<sys-devel/gcc-4.9" is blocking sys-devel/gcc-4.9.3)

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-devel/gcc-4.9.3:4.9.3/4.9.3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    gcc
    sys-devel/gcc required by @system
    sys-devel/gcc required by @selected

(sys-devel/gcc-4.7.4:4.7.4/4.7.4::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    sys-devel/gcc:4.7.4 required by @selected

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Working/Portage#Blocked_packages

krinn wrote:

- glibc, as part of toolchain, like gcc, it should be handle before anything.

However, glibc is not:

Code:

IgorReinCloud igor # PORTDIR_OVERLAY="" emerge -pv glibc
!!! SYNC setting found in make.conf.
    This setting is Deprecated and no longer used.  Please ensure your 'sync-type' and 'sync-uri' are set correctly in /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] sys-apps/gentoo-functions-0.10::gentoo  12 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] sys-process/procps-3.3.10-r1::gentoo  USE="ncurses nls unicode -modern-top (-selinux) -static-libs -systemd {-test}" 0 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] sys-devel/binutils-2.25.1-r1:2.25.1::gentoo [2.23.2:2.25.1::gentoo] USE="cxx nls zlib -multislot -multitarget -static-libs {-test} -vanilla" 23616 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] sys-libs/glibc-2.22-r4:2.2::gentoo [2.15-r3:2.2::gentoo] USE="(multilib) -debug -gd (-hardened) -nscd% -profile (-selinux) -suid% -systemtap% -vanilla" 20613 KiB

Total: 4 packages (2 upgrades, 1 new, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 44240 KiB

So, I should run this and then do everything else, right? What worries me is the rebuild of procps - why?

Thank you.

krinn wrote:

- perl upgrade is easy, but all perl modules are bitches, because some cannot be use with newer version, some doesn't even exist anymore in the tree... i would remove all perl modules i have no need myself to ease perl upgrade, while perl-updater could rebuild ones that could be use with the newer perl version, it always fail if one module is no more in the tree, and removing them one by one is boring.
- wget, because it's awful to see later that you cannot download anything if broken. (remember i've hint you to -f anything before action)
- libpng upgrade could be bugger and i will handle it alone
- didn't really see if it is in your list, but python will have also a special attention from me, as portage love python.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use --buildpkg and stop been worried, you might update linux-headers while updating glibc as well.
and rebuild gcc (it's not because it is up to date, it is because it should use the new glibc).
i don't know why procps need a rebuild, it must have some runtime dep, but i wouldn't really care about procps myself, and rebuilding procps is not really a big task.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
The Doctor,

But right now all I want is to update the system and then do the switch to that. That's why I was surprised to see that emerge system will pull X + GNOME.

Thank you.

You can't do that. I know, I tried. Gnome2 is no longer in the portage tree. You could switch it to MATE or you could just remove it and run from the command line. You could also install something like lxde or fluxbox in between. Fluxbox is easy, and you can run your web browser from it. After the rest of the system is up to date, you can install GNOME3 and keep or remove fluxbox.

Are you making the suggested changes? I see you still have SYNC in your make.conf even though I advised you to comment it out and portage keeps telling you that it is ignoring it.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
The Doctor,

Thank you.

I saw this topic at the beginning and didn't post because I agreed with the response by NeddySeagoon: do the upgrade if you want a learning experience. Good on you for attempting it. I hope you are having fun. :lol:

A lot of people have done good work helping you get things sorted out (thanks to you all for being awesome). Just for any latecomers, the basic steps to upgrading an old system is something like this:

Code:
emerge --sync
emerge -va1 python portage
emerge -va1 gcc
gcc-config -l
emerge -vauDN @system
emerge -vauDN @world

That said, just a few suggestions:

1. Always oneshot (i.e. -1) packages unless you want them to pollute your world file. Generally speaking, the only packages that should be in your world file are those you will be directly running and which lack a meta-package that pulls them in.

2. When pasting emerge output, start from the emerge command used.

3. Check /etc/portage/package.* for conflicts.

And just one clarification:

Even without external overlays (i.e. GNOME Without Systemd), you don't have to use systemd to use GNOME. It will just come at the cost of what the GNOME team considers basic functionality. All you have to do is:

1. globally disable the systemd USE flag
2. locally disable the kms USE flag on x11-wm/mutter
3. unmask and enable the openrc-force USE flag

Basically:
  • /etc/portage/make.conf
Code:
USE="openrc-force -systemd"

• /etc/portage/package.use/mutter
Code:
x11-wm/mutter -kms

• /etc/portage/profile/use.mask
Code:
-openrc-force

If you don't suspend your system, don't prefer the GNOME Display Manager (GDM) graphical login or want Wayland this is a long-term option. If you just want to keep systemd out of the picture until you are done upgrading, this is a short-term option.

Now onto your current problem, due to how dependency resolution works, it's not uncommon for @system to pull in packages from @world as well. You have two options here:

1. You can exclude the packages you don't want @system to bother with:

Code:
emerge -vauDN @system --exclude foo --exclude bar

2. You can remove the relevant meta-package (WARNING: do not run depclean immediately after this unless you intend to remove any related dependencies as well) update @system, update @world and then re-add the relevant meta-package:

Code:
emerge -vaC gnome (or gnome-light)
emerge -vauDN @system
emerge -vauDN @world
emerge -vauDN gnome (or gnome-light)

This works best if your world file isn't populated with specific packages that will already be pulled in by the relevant meta-package.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell,
dantrell wrote:

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

The Doctor,

Thank you.

I saw this topic at the beginning and didn't post because I agreed with the response by NeddySeagoon: do the upgrade if you want a learning experience. Good on you for attempting it. I hope you are having fun. :lol:

Yes, I am having fun. Especially so since I am learning new stuff and this is always good. ;-)
The first post was done to actually see if it make sense to upgrade since the system was not being upgraded for a long period of time and I saw a lot of posts here saying that upgrading an old system is a nightmare.
Also, generally speaking, as a developer, I don't like to upgrade the system too often - only when I absolutely need to.

dantrell wrote:

A lot of people have done good work helping you get things sorted out (thanks to you all for being awesome). Just for any latecomers, the basic steps to upgrading an old system is something like this:

Code:

emerge --sync
emerge -va1 python portage
emerge -va1 gcc
gcc-config -l
emerge -vauDN @system
emerge -vauDN @world

That's good to know.

dantrell wrote:

That said, just a few suggestions:

1. Always oneshot (i.e. -1) packages unless you want them to pollute your world file. Generally speaking, the only packages that should be in your world file are those you will be directly running and which lack a meta-package that pulls them in.

2. When pasting emerge output, start from the emerge command used.

3. Check /etc/portage/package.* for conflicts.

And just one clarification:

Even without external overlays (i.e. GNOME Without Systemd), you don't have to use systemd to use GNOME. It will just come at the cost of what the GNOME team considers basic functionality. All you have to do is:

OK, so basically no advanced features, right? Looking at the GNOME documentation for Gentoo I see that GNOME can be run in two modes and it can be selected during the login time. Does this mean that I will be using only one mode?

dantrell wrote:

1. globally disable the systemd USE flag
2. locally disable the kms USE flag on x11-wm/mutter
3. unmask and enable the openrc-force USE flag

Basically:
  • /etc/portage/make.conf
Code:
USE="openrc-force -systemd"

• /etc/portage/package.use/mutter
Code:
x11-wm/mutter -kms

• /etc/portage/profile/use.mask
Code:
-openrc-force

If you don't suspend your system, don't prefer the GNOME Display Manager (GDM) graphical login or want Wayland this is a long-term option. If you just want to keep systemd out of the picture until you are done upgrading, this is a short-term option.

Even though I have a laptop, I don't plan to suspend, I don't want to use Wayland (don't care about it at the moment) and I'm currently doing "startx" to start my GNOME2 session. Which means I should be OK, right?

dantrell wrote:

Now onto your current problem, due to how dependency resolution works, it's not uncommon for @system to pull in packages from @world as well. You have two options here:

1. You can exclude the packages you don't want @system to bother with:

Code:
emerge -vauDN @system --exclude foo --exclude bar

2. You can remove the relevant meta-package (WARNING: do not run depclean immediately after this unless you intend to remove any related dependencies as well) update @system, update @world and then re-add the relevant meta-package:

Code:
emerge -vaC gnome (or gnome-light)
emerge -vauDN @system
emerge -vauDN @world
emerge -vauDN gnome (or gnome-light)

This works best if your world file isn't populated with specific packages that will already be pulled in by the relevant meta-package.

OK, so this actually means that I can successfully run GNOME3 along with GTK2 and GTK3 installed and still keep my OpenRC for the "start-up manager".
Now, I can probably do "1, 2 and 3" right now and just for get about everything and simply run

Code:

emerge -avuDN system
emerge -avuDN world

And I will get the updated system in the end with GNOME3 and OpenRC. Am I correct? If yes, than I won't need to solve the "system pulling user packages" anymore. It just going to be a general confusion for me. ;-)

Thank you.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
OK, so basically no advanced features, right?

Without external overlays, that is correct.

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
Looking at the GNOME documentation for Gentoo I see that GNOME can be run in two modes and it can be selected during the login time. Does this mean that I will be using only one mode?

If you are talking about GNOME and GNOME Classic then you just have to modify your .xinitrc accordingly. For GNOME it'd be:

Code:
export XDG_MENU_PREFIX=gnome-

exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

and for GNOME Classic it'd be:

Code:
export XDG_MENU_PREFIX=gnome-

exec ck-launch-session gnome-session --session=gnome-classic

If you are frequently switching between them, just script .xinitrc as needed (e.g. Making a DE/WM choice).

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
Even though I have a laptop, I don't plan to suspend, I don't want to use Wayland (don't care about it at the moment) and I'm currently doing "startx" to start my GNOME2 session. Which means I should be OK, right?

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
OK, so this actually means that I can successfully run GNOME3 along with GTK2 and GTK3 installed and still keep my OpenRC for the "start-up manager".

Yep, you are good to go.

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
Now, I can probably do "1, 2 and 3" right now and just for get about everything and simply run

Code:
emerge -avuDN system
emerge -avuDN world

And I will get the updated system in the end with GNOME3 and OpenRC. Am I correct? If yes, than I won't need to solve the "system pulling user packages" anymore. It just going to be a general confusion for me. ;-)

Thank you.

It might be a bit more complex than that depending on the emerge output but if systemd is the primary reason your emerge output isn't clean, then that "1, 2 and 3" will clear most things (if not everything) up and simplify matters.

Good luck. :)
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell,
Sorry for the long delay. I tried to upgrade the kernel, but failed to produce a normal working config. So I'm leaving this task for the end.

So, I am trying to follow you instructions:

1. I turn off systemd globally.
2. I turn off kms locally for x11-wm/mutter
3. Here I have a problem:

Code:

IgorReinCloud linux-3.12.13-gentoo # cd /etc
IgorReinCloud etc # find . -name use*
./xdg/user-dirs.defaults
./xdg/autostart/user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop
./xdg/user-dirs.conf
./pam.d/useradd
./pam.d/userdel
./pam.d/usermod
./default/useradd

There is no file named "use.mask". Did you mean "/etc/portage/package.mask"?

Also, tried to upgrade python:

Code:

IgorReinCloud linux-3.12.13-gentoo # emerge -pv python

Calculating dependencies \ * ... done!
[ebuild  NS    ] dev-lang/python-3.4.3-r1:3.4::gentoo [2.7.5-r3:2.7::gentoo, 3.2.5-r1:3.2::gentoo] USE="gdbm ipv6 ncurses readline sqlite ssl threads xml -build -examples -hardened -tk -wininst" 14096 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 14096 KiB

Do I have to install python 3.x?

Thank you.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
So, I am trying to follow you instructions:

1. I turn off systemd globally.
2. I turn off kms locally for x11-wm/mutter
3. Here I have a problem:

Code:

IgorReinCloud linux-3.12.13-gentoo # cd /etc
IgorReinCloud etc # find . -name use*
./xdg/user-dirs.defaults
./xdg/autostart/user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop
./xdg/user-dirs.conf
./pam.d/useradd
./pam.d/userdel
./pam.d/usermod
./default/useradd

There is no file named "use.mask". Did you mean "/etc/portage/package.mask"?

It doesn't exist by default, you have to create it. Check the portage man page for details.

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
Also, tried to upgrade python:

Code:

IgorReinCloud linux-3.12.13-gentoo # emerge -pv python

Calculating dependencies \ * ... done!
[ebuild  NS    ] dev-lang/python-3.4.3-r1:3.4::gentoo [2.7.5-r3:2.7::gentoo, 3.2.5-r1:3.2::gentoo] USE="gdbm ipv6 ncurses readline sqlite ssl threads xml -build -examples -hardened -tk -wininst" 14096 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 14096 KiB

You don't have to but python 3.4 is the latest stable version and it will be installed anyway during the update process.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, added.
Running

Code:

emerge -avuDN @system

produced following output at the end:

Code:

[blocks B      ] <sys-devel/gcc-4.9 ("<sys-devel/gcc-4.9" is blocking sys-devel/gcc-4.9.3)
[blocks B      ] <x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard-3.14 ("<x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard-3.14" is blocking x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme-3.18.0)

Total: 194 packages (159 upgrades, 31 new, 1 in new slot, 3 reinstalls, 1 uninstall), Size of downloads: 388696 KiB
Conflict: 8 blocks (2 unsatisfied)

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

x11-libs/gtk+:3

(x11-libs/gtk+-3.18.7:3/3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-3.12:3[X,introspection?] required by (app-crypt/gcr-3.18.0:0/1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                       

(x11-libs/gtk+-3.4.4:3/3::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    <x11-libs/gtk+-3.5:3 required by (x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard-3.4.2:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    ^              ^^^^^                                                                                                                                                     

media-libs/libpng:0

(media-libs/libpng-1.6.19:0/16::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=media-libs/libpng-1.4:0=[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,
    abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,
    abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?]
    required by (x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf-2.32.3:2/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

>=media-libs/libpng-1.2.51:=[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,
    required by (media-libs/freetype-2.5.5:2/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

>=media-libs/libpng-1.6.10:0=[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,
    ^^                  ^^^^^^^^^    abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,
    required by (x11-libs/cairo-1.14.2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(media-libs/libpng-1.5.15:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    media-libs/libpng:0/0= required by (app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.32:0/0::gentoo, installed)
                     ^^^^^                                                                                                         
    (and 3 more with the same problem)

x11-libs/pango:0

(x11-libs/pango-1.38.1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=x11-libs/pango-1.37.3[introspection?,abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,
    ^^               ^^^^^^    abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,
    abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?]
    required by (x11-libs/gtk+-3.18.7:3/3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (and 2 more with the same problem)

(x11-libs/pango-1.30.1:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    <x11-libs/pango-1.31[X] required by (x11-libs/gtkglext-1.2.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    ^               ^^^^                                                                                                                         

dev-libs/libgcrypt:0

(dev-libs/libgcrypt-1.6.5:0/20::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=dev-libs/libgcrypt-1.5.3:0=[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,
     abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,
     abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?]
    required by (dev-libs/libxslt-1.1.28-r5:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(dev-libs/libgcrypt-1.5.3:0/11::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=dev-libs/libgcrypt-1.1.90:0/11= required by (net-misc/vino-2.32.2-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
                               ^^^^^^                                                                                                 

x11-proto/xcb-proto:0

(x11-proto/xcb-proto-1.11:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=x11-proto/xcb-proto-1.11[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,
    ^^                    ^^^^    abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,
    abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?,python_targets_python2_7(-),python_single_target_python2_7(+)]
    required by (x11-libs/libxcb-1.11.1:0/1.11.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(x11-proto/xcb-proto-1.8-r3:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    <x11-proto/xcb-proto-1.9 required by (x11-libs/xpyb-1.3.1-r2:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    ^                    ^^^                                                                                                                   

dev-libs/libtasn1:0

(dev-libs/libtasn1-4.5:0/6::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=dev-libs/libtasn1-3.4[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,
    ^^                  ^^^    abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,
    abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?]
    required by (app-crypt/p11-kit-0.20.7:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(dev-libs/libtasn1-2.14:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    <dev-libs/libtasn1-3 required by (net-libs/gnutls-2.12.23-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    ^                  ^                                                                                                                       

NOTE: Use the '--verbose-conflicts' option to display parents omitted above

It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
impossible to satisfy simultaneously.  If such a conflict exists in
the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can
not be installed simultaneously. You may want to try a larger value of
the --backtrack option, such as --backtrack=30, in order to see if
that will solve this conflict automatically.

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard-3.4.2:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard-3.0.2 required by (gnome-base/gnome-2.32.1-r2:2.0/2.0::gentoo, installed)

(sys-devel/gcc-4.9.3:4.9.3/4.9.3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    sys-devel/gcc required by @selected
    sys-devel/gcc required by @system
    >=sys-devel/gcc-3.0 required by (sys-devel/llvm-3.5.0:0/3.5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(sys-devel/gcc-4.7.4:4.7.4/4.7.4::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    sys-devel/gcc:4.7.4 required by @selected

(x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme-3.18.0:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme-3.14 required by (x11-libs/gtk+-3.18.7:3/3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Working/Portage#Blocked_packages

The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.unmask" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by app-crypt/gcr-3.18.0::gentoo[gtk]
# required by gnome-base/gnome-keyring-3.18.3::gentoo
# required by app-crypt/libsecret-0.18.4::gentoo
# required by app-crypt/pinentry-0.9.5::gentoo[gnome-keyring]
# required by app-crypt/gnupg-2.0.28::gentoo
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
# /etc/portage/package.mask:
=x11-libs/gtk+-3.18.7

I have 2 hard blockers and couple of soft ones. And 1 hard block is about "gnome-theme" and one of the soft one is about gtk+.

How do I resolve those?

Thank you.

Added some line changes at the unbroken lines which make some browsers (such as Firefox) display the forum in unintended ways.Chiitoo
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the gcc blocker, refer to this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1042586-highlight-.html

Last edited by Tony0945 on Sat May 21, 2016 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
ONEEYEMAN wrote:

You don't have to but python 3.4 is the latest stable version and it will be installed anyway during the update process.

dantrell, ONEEYEMAN ... yes, but it can be avoided (as can any 3.x slot), and I would consider it a good idea to do so (if only because it will reduce the necessity to have to continually update the slot, and any python packages that require rebuilding when running python-updater). If you don't explicitly need 3.x then you can do the following:

/etc/portage/make.conf:
PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"

/etc/portage/package.mask:
dev-lang/python:3.3
dev-lang/python:3.4

Code:
# emerge --depclean --ask dev-lang/python:3.3 dev-lang/python:3.4
# python-updater

As for the x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard block, please check what depends on this (via 'equery depends x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard), I'm assuming its some part of gnome, you've run 'emerge --depclean -a' subsequent to removing gnome?

HTH & best ... khay
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam,
Yes, you are right:

Code:

IgorReinCloud igor # PORTDIR_OVERLAY="" equery depends x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard
 * These packages depend on x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard:
gnome-base/gnome-2.32.1-r2 (>=x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard-3.0.2)

Which means that I can simply remove it, right? And I will still have a working GTK+2 apps?

Thank you.

P.S.: Will there be any issues upgrading libpng?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
Code:
IgorReinCloud igor # PORTDIR_OVERLAY="" equery depends x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard

Which means that I can simply remove it, right? And I will still have a working GTK+2 apps?

ONEEYEMAN ... that shows that it is a dependency of gnome-base/gnome, and so if you are getting rid of gnome then you need to depclean it, and dependencies.

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

I don't understand why you are asking that ...

best ... khay
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

Code:

ONEEYEMAN ... that shows that it is a dependency of gnome-base/gnome, and so if you are getting rid of gnome then you need to depclean it, and dependencies.

Are you saying I will not be able to upgrade GNOME from GNOME?

khayyam wrote:

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

Because there is a soft block on this package and I had issues in the past upgrading one of graphic libraries.

Thank you.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

ONEEYEMAN ... no, I asked above if you had depcleaned gnome as part of your "turning off systemd", if you haven't, or haven't rebuilt @world with --changed-use, then the dependencies will still be there.

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
khayyam wrote:
ONEEYEMAN wrote:

Because there is a soft block on this package and I had issues in the past upgrading one of graphic libraries.

soft blocks will be resolved by the package manager.

best ... khay
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

ONEEYEMAN ... no, I asked above if you had depcleaned gnome as part of your "turning off systemd", if you haven't, or haven't rebuilt @world with --changed-use, then the dependencies will still be there.

Well, as Dantrell indicated it will be:

Code:

emerge -avuDN @system
emerge -avuDN @world

and I'm currently doing the first one. So I will be rebuilding @world with --new-use. So, I presume I can just unmerge it to let the merge go?

khayyam wrote:

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

khayyam wrote:

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

soft blocks will be resolved by the package manager.

best ... khay

From the latest emerge results:

Code:

(media-libs/libpng-1.6.19:0/16::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    required by (x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf-2.32.3:2/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

^^                  ^^^^^^^^^    abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,
    abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?]

media-libs/libpng:0/0= required by (app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.32:0/0::gentoo, installed)
                     ^^^^^                                                                                                         

But I guess since everything will be updated it doesn't matter anyway.

Thank you.

Added some line changes at the unbroken lines which make some browsers (such as Firefox) display the forum in unintended ways.Chiitoo
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
Code:

When you encounter a hardblock, check for an existing solution. If one does not exist, remove the package in question as it will be reinstalled appropriately if it is still relevant.

So in this case, remove x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard (and only that package). The update process will take care of everything.

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

Nope. Just upgrade.

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
From the latest emerge results:

Code:

^^                  ^^^^^^^^^    abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,
    abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?]

^^^^^                                                                                                         

But I guess since everything will be updated it doesn't matter anyway.

Remember, it's generally possible to exclude any package that is causing conflicts, until you are ready to deal with them. Also, as already mentioned, removing them and manually reinstalling later (if not pulled back in automatically) is also a valid option.

That said, when considering the advice from others chiming in, keep in mind that they may not have read the entire thread. You received multiple solutions. Best to follow one to minimize any confusion.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, guys,
I'm down to last soft block:

Code:

x11-libs/pango:0

(x11-libs/pango-1.38.1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=x11-libs/pango-1.37.3[introspection?,abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,
    ^^               ^^^^^^    abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,
    abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,
    abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?]
    required by (x11-libs/gtk+-3.18.7:3/3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(and 2 more with the same problem)

(x11-libs/pango-1.30.1:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    <x11-libs/pango-1.31[X] required by (x11-libs/gtkglext-1.2.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    ^               ^^^^                                                                                                                         

NOTE: Use the '--verbose-conflicts' option to display parents omitted above

It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
impossible to satisfy simultaneously.  If such a conflict exists in
the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can
not be installed simultaneously. You may want to try a larger value of
the --backtrack option, such as --backtrack=30, in order to see if
that will solve this conflict automatically.

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

but unfortunately it is failing:

Code:

checking for some Win32 platform... no
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-pkg-config... /usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for HARFBUZZ... no
checking for CoreText availability... no
checking for CAIRO... yes
checking which cairo font backends could be used... configure: error: cairo support requested, but not present

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.38.1/work/pango-1.38.1-abi_x86_64.amd64/config.log
 * ERROR: x11-libs/pango-1.38.1::gentoo failed (configure phase):
 *   econf failed
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line  133:  Called src_configure
 *             environment, line 3430:  Called multilib-minimal_src_configure
 *             environment, line 2686:  Called multilib_foreach_abi 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
 *             environment, line 2900:  Called multibuild_foreach_variant '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
 *             environment, line 2616:  Called _multibuild_run '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
 *             environment, line 2614:  Called _multilib_multibuild_wrapper 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
 *             environment, line  453:  Called multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure
 *             environment, line 2680:  Called multilib_src_configure
 *             environment, line 3113:  Called gnome2_src_configure '--with-cairo' '--enable-introspection' '--with-xft' '--x-includes=/usr/include' '--x-libraries=/usr/lib64'
 *             environment, line 2156:  Called econf '--disable-gtk-doc' '--docdir=/usr/share/doc/pango-1.38.1' '--with-cairo' '--enable-introspection' '--with-xft' '--x-includes=/usr/include' '--x-libraries=/usr/lib64'
 *        phase-helpers.sh, line  662:  Called __helpers_die 'econf failed'
 *   isolated-functions.sh, line  117:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *         die "$@"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=x11-libs/pango-1.38.1::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=x11-libs/pango-1.38.1::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.38.1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.38.1/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.38.1/work/pango-1.38.1-abi_x86_64.amd64'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.38.1/work/pango-1.38.1'

>>> Failed to emerge x11-libs/pango-1.38.1, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.38.1/temp/build.log'

Which package am I missing?

Thank you.

Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
checking which cairo font backends could be used... configure: error: cairo support requested, but not present

Quote:
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945,
gtkglext installed, but the same error persist.

Thank you.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
Tony0945,
gtkglext installed, but the same error persist.

Thank you.

From the r3 ebuild:
Code:
RDEPEND=">=dev-libs/glib-2.34.3:2[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
    >=x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.23:2[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
    >=x11-libs/pango-1.36.3[X,${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
    || (
        >=x11-libs/pangox-compat-0.0.2[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
        <x11-libs/pango-1.31[X,${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
    )
    >=x11-libs/libX11-1.6.2[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
    >=x11-libs/libXmu-1.1.1-r1[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
    >=virtual/glu-9.0-r1[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]
    >=virtual/opengl-7.0-r1[${MULTILIB_USEDEP}]"
I'm not sure how to read this but it seems to me to say that you need either pango older than 1.31 or newer than 1.36
I don't have the r1 ebuild on this machine (synced this morning) so I assume that r1 is obsolete and removed. I show pango-1.38.1 as latest and stable so I would:
Code:
emerge -a1v pango --nodeps && emerge -a1v gtkglext --nodeps
Then see what happens. You probably need cairo from the other message.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 et al,
Here is what I have here (stable):

Code:

IgorReinCloud igor # PORTDIR_OVERLAY="" emerge -pv --nodeps pixman cairo gtkglext pango
 * Last emerge --sync was 35d 15h 40m 37s ago.

[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/pixman-0.32.8::gentoo  USE="(-altivec) (-iwmmxt) (-loongson2f) (-neon) -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmxext sse2 -ssse3" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/cairo-1.14.2::gentoo  USE="X glib opengl svg xcb (-aqua) -debug (-directfb) (-gles2) -static-libs -valgrind -xlib-xcb" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/gtkglext-1.2.0-r3::gentoo  USE="-debug" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] x11-libs/pango-1.38.1::gentoo [1.30.1::gentoo] USE="X introspection -debug {-test%}" ABI_X86="(64%*) -32% (-x32)" 0 KiB

Total: 4 packages (1 upgrade, 3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

Thank you.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
* Last emerge --sync was 35d 15h 40m 37s ago.
Way too long ago!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: