A Tragic Loss for the Gentoo Community
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: A Tragic Loss for the Gentoo Community Reply with quote

I regret to inform you all that earlier today, a great person in our Gentoo community, Griz64 (irc) Guy "Griz" Lowell Inabnit has succumbed to his long, painful battle with cancer :'(
It's good to know he no longer suffers, but we will miss him dearly. I realize that he was not active in the forums, but if any of you ever went to irc for help, or just hung out there
for good conversation, you know exactly who I'm talking about.

A tidbit from #gentoo-chat earlier today
Quote:

[16:24:37] <Hix-Nix> Hey guys, I have some sad news... Griz a.k.a Griz64 passed away about 2 hours ago.
[16:24:58] <Hix-Nix> His cancer took him over and his pain and suffering has ceased
[16:25:17] <Hix-Nix> Please dont forget the man most, if not all of us has refered to as a friend.
[16:25:41] * eroen cries.
[16:25:48] * ssuominen has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[16:25:54] <jam3s2k-work> whelp that's it. my day can't possibly get any worse. I'm off to hang myself
[16:25:57] * ssuominen (~ssuominen@mobile-access-bcee51-158.dhcp.inet.fi) has joined
[16:26:02] <Hix-Nix> I'm sorry to have to share the news this way, I had no other way to share this
[16:27:13] <jam3s2k-work> Hix-Nix: I don't envy your burden of delivering such terrible news.
[16:28:20] <Hix-Nix> jam3s2k-work, Griz was a dear friend of mine, however, as a Pastor, I also take on the burden with a heavy heart. It is not fun, but, needs to be don
e.
[16:28:29] <Hix-Nix> I will miss him greatly.
[16:29:37] <doc235> he will be missed
[16:29:49] <doc235> knew him only from here, but it has been years
[16:31:51] * shiznix (quassel@gentoo/user/shiznix) has joined
[16:35:27] * tomboy65 (~tomboy64@unaffiliated/tomboy64) has joined
[16:35:33] <Cheaterman> :-(
[16:36:01] * tomboy64 has quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[16:40:03] <Hix-Nix> doc235, This is where I originally met Griz. We ended up meeting a few times in person, a hell of a guy, awesome friend, and one to send you to hell
and back in a video game. :)
[16:47:25] <renihs> Griz was always here :(
[16:49:00] <doc235> yea Hix-Nix i met him here years ago
[16:49:10] <shadowdao> RIP Griz.
[16:49:24] * eroen cries again, a bit happier this time.
[16:49:31] <Hix-Nix> That boy knew his stuff, and knew it well.
[16:49:37] * shadowdao offers eroen a tissue.
[16:49:50] <eroen> thanks!
[16:50:00] <Hix-Nix> Has anyone seen edit21?
[16:50:08] <Hix-Nix> !seen edit21
[16:50:09] <willikins> Hix-Nix: Capt_edit21_arrr was last seen 6 years, 7 months, 2 days, 10 hours, 7 minutes and 23 seconds ago, changing nick from Capt_edit21_arrr to e
dit_arr
[16:50:10] * damex_ (~damex@funtoo/dev/damex) has joined
[16:50:11] * jam3s2k-work has quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
[16:50:13] <doc235> yea, he would help me fix windows systems via teamviewer :)

So let's use this thread to remember our great friend, mentor, and fellow Gentoo enthusiast, Guy "Griz" Lowell Inabnit aka Griz64 aka GrizzledOne
Share your memories of/with him below
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of an Era.

Griz will always be a true Legend of Computing.
When the ourstory books are written in centuries' time (assuming humans are still around to write), the truth about just how many people he trained, and the levels his students got to (as well as what they got up to;) will be known.
Suffice to say, government owes him a huge debt.

Speaking personally, life just got a lot worse; update was always written with him in mind as the target-user (and became his baby: he drove its development in process terms): a knowledgeable Gentoo system administrator, as well as a coder who forget more than most people know; he was simply the best-of-breed, due in no small part to his long history of involvement with Computing, from back when its only application was Signals' Intelligence for the military.

The only guy who ever got us to open an external ssh-port, the only external who ever got wheel, Griz could do a Gentoo install in less than half-an-hour, talking you through it and chatting while he did so.

Griz showed me the true meaning of QA, as well as so much on a personal level, and was always the consummate professional in terms of getting the result for the end-user. I can still hear his voice, as I internalised him ages ago, from all the teamspeak. I am heartbroken that I shall not be able to get the vocal confirm again (nor even the growling telling-off), this side of death. Even more so, that we'll never meet up for a session IRL, as we always planned.

Griz brought so much to this community, and he will be sorely missed.
There simply will never be another like him, with his depth of experience and insight, and incredible people skills combined with sheer technical ability.

See you when I get there, bro.
~ igli.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no way!

Now this is a loss. R.I.P. my old friend
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requiescat In Pace
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dear ol Hippie friend, you will be missed, You have always been a great IRC pal who had respect for everyone and always avoided conflict but also helped others with their conflicts. You always made me smile with your great personality, your hippie tendencies and your love of Gentoo Linux. Rest In PEACE my dear friend! See you on the other side!
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:(

I've never been near Gentoo's IRC, but I can tell from these reactions we've lost someone great.

He may be irreplaceable, but that doesn't mean we can't try to follow his lead. Stay awesome, the rest of you too.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
:(

I've never been near Gentoo's IRC, but I can tell from these reactions we've lost someone great.

He may be irreplaceable, but that doesn't mean we can't try to follow his lead. Stay awesome, the rest of you too.
you should and you missed chatting with a great individual
vilehost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheryl Graham wrote:
Our dear friend and brother, Griz Inabnit, passed away on Sunday morning April 17 2016.
He fought his battle quietly, not letting many people know how sick he really was.
Griz wants no services, but wants to be cremated and his ashes spread in Arizona.
Griz lived with his mother, Maryellen, who is also fighting cancer. We need to raise funds to help pay for his cremation.
Griz has touched so many lives. Please consider donating to this fund so we can grant our friend his final wish.
Thank you.
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on how the GoFundMe went for Griz' family.

Quote:
<+Hix-Nix> I spoke with his mother last night, shes doing well and was completely taken aback when she received the check from the gofundme. She didn't think it would be enough to cover the cremation, turns out, it covered the cremation and a whole lot more.

Quote taken from IRC
Thank you to everyone who donated! His family has been tickled pink by the support they have received from the community.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will be installing Gentoo in the Big Cloud.

RIP.
zlg
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard of his passing and commented on IRC, but I had no idea we put together a GoFundMe and were able to help his family. That's seriously amazing and makes me proud to be part of Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: