Gentoo on a Purism Librem Laptop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aonoa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on a Purism Librem Laptop Reply with quote

Hello,

Has anyone tried Gentoo on a Purism Librem Laptop? I think it should work nicely, seeing as they are all about open hardware. However, seeing as they have their own Linux OS, there might be some customizations needed on other Linux systems, such as Gentoo. I'm just curious about any thoughts or experiences anyone here might have with it?

Thank you!
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may extract the kernel config from that linux distro and reuse it.
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aonoa,

I've just installed Gentoo on a Purism Librem 13. I used Gentoo's hardened-sources (as these still allow deblobbing via USE flag, unlike recent gentoo-sources). I based the kernel configuration off that on the Gentoo minimal install image. Most things worked out of the box (with a deblobbed kernel, minimal config and no linux-firmware installed, which is nice!); only the i915 graphics driver needed enabling.

Minor issues so far:
  • I haven't managed to get Bluetooth working yet. Not sure if it ever was working under the original OS + kernel that shipped with the laptop, actually (forgot to check before wiping it) >< (WiFi works fine).
  • The BIOS doesn't accept updates from efitools when trying to install secure boot public keys (this appears to be a known issue). Am investigating loading public keys directly from the EFI shell atm (and am EFI booting with secure boot off, for the moment).
  • Hibernate (to encrypted swap) isn't working correctly yet (but normal sleep works fine).

Other than that (and the fact that it has a non-free BIOS and still has the Intel ME lurking around!) it appears to be running well. FWIW I am running dantrell's GNOME-3.20 overlay and booting under OpenRC (pretty much per my EFI install & GNOME without systemd guides).

hope that helps!

sakaki
klas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning to spend $1500 on Librem 15
I would like to know if it s worth it. Does it work nicely with gentoo ? As my purpose is a gentoo on it ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: