View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: KDE4 to KDE5 issues... Reply with quote

So after KDE4 was killed in favor of the train-wreck that looks like a Windows 8 rip-off, I upgraded to KDE5. Now I have a desktop where I cannot have four unique virtual desktops, lost GUI control of Baloo, and have not been able to convert my wallets yet! The last point is my issue. Each time I login I get slammed with loads of dialogs for wallet access, but it won't convert my wallets. What do I do? I need the data in those wallets.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody can figure this out? Or is this just one of those many parts of 5 that remains a work in progress? I am stuck right now and need the data in my wallets. I have kwalletd installed. It just is not converting. Every login when my wireless is enabled I get a dialog from kded followed by four others, and then it asks me for my wireless passwords anyway. It seems to be broken.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're posting again: my experience of KDE is that bugs like this (somewhere in the dependency-"stack") are "out-waited" more than anything else.
IOW: "let's wait and see if upgrades of the various dependencies, make it go away." After which it gets closed, with a request to reopen, but the user has usually faded a year or two prior.

In terms of getting work done, I'd just stay with KDE-4.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear; I'm sure someone else will chip in with advice for staying with KF5.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baloo still has the same GUI settings at the same place as in KDE4 and it isn't actually hard to find out that the way to go with individual virtual desktops is activities for Plasma-5 (activities were also used in Plasma-4 for that, behind the scenes, if you mean wallpapers).

For the wallet issue, did you check what the dialogs actually say at startup?

You can check the content of your kf5-based wallet using kwalletmanager:5. If migration does not work for some reason, you could use kwalletmanager:4 to export your old wallet, and import into kwalletmanager:5.
If you still use KDE4 applications such as kmail, you will actually need the old wallet side-by-side with the new one. For not having to enter the password each time, you can configure kwallet-pam to auto-open both your KDE4- and KF5-based wallets with pam, at login time from your login manager. It has a nice postinst message telling you about the preconditions for it to work.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What this says to me is that KDE5 is still beta. It seems to be slick, but KDE4 looked better, and it worked. I don't care about "activities" and neither does 90% of the rest of us. We want to click our desktop, choose settings, and set a wallpaper. Spending an hour figuring out how to do it with some half-baked ides of activities is infuriating and not productive. Remember, simple is better, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I should have never upgraded and am debating zeroing my disk and reinstalling from scratch to rid myself of this mess.

Anyway, the dialogs just said kde5d or kded or kded5 (yes, I am exhaustred and I cannot recall) needed to access my wallet. None of my passwords came across. This is so infuriating! I just want my system to work and now I cannot get onto wireless networks I have forgotten the info for. This upgrade stinks! Yes, I am in the mode of a user right now. I just want it to work. KDE4 WORKS. KDE5 I have done nothing but fight with.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:
What this says to me is that KDE5 is still beta. It seems to be slick, but KDE4 looked better, and it worked. I don't care about "activities" and neither does 90% of the rest of us. We want to click our desktop, choose settings, and set a wallpaper. Spending an hour figuring out how to do it with some half-baked ides of activities is infuriating and not productive. Remember, simple is better, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I should have never upgraded and am debating zeroing my disk and reinstalling from scratch to rid myself of this mess.

So basically, something changed and you're not happy, but that doesn't make it a beta.

Anyway, the dialogs just said kde5d or kded or kded5 (yes, I am exhaustred and I cannot recall) needed to access my wallet. None of my passwords came across. This is so infuriating! I just want my system to work and now I cannot get onto wireless networks I have forgotten the info for. This upgrade stinks! Yes, I am in the mode of a user right now. I just want it to work. KDE4 WORKS. KDE5 I have done nothing but fight with.

So, no progress on that end. I gave you the pointers above, you need to pick them up yourself. Somewhere in there you might experience a real bug that might have been solved by this commit in KF 5.22 but we can't know - waiting for your input.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtual desktops is still there: Just search for "virtual desktops" in the system settings of KDE.

Baloo can also be configured: Again, search for "baloo" in the system settings.

Haven't tried to convert my wallets, so I do not know about this. But the upgrade page in the wiki actually went over this point. See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Plasma_5_upgrade#KWallet
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the wiki article when upgrading. I also did the kwalletd install as the article said. Nothing converts. I also no where virtual desktops are. If you read my post you'd see that the problem isn't the virtual desktops, it is not being able to make them unique anymore. As such, I don't even use them now.

As for the beta comment, I stand by it. I have tried several methods to convert my wallets, none work. When I insert a USB stick or CDROM, I cannot use the notifier to mount or use them. If I click the option to browse a USB stick in Dolphin, it says access denied. However, if I manually open Dolphin and click on the drive, it mounts and I can use it. I can however, use the notifier to UNMOUNT the drive. As for CDROM/DVD media, it won't mount in the notifier either, but will unmount. That seems like a beta to me. Yes, I am in the CDROM and USB groups. In fact I am in "audio, video, usb, tape, floppy, cdrom, disk, users, games, netdev, plugdev, vboxusers, scanner, sambashare" and probably a few others I cannot recall. I am on my gaming rig right now, which is Windows.

Other issues include NOT having the Baloo item in my control center and having to disable it with the shell/konsole, no screensavers (yes, I read the BS about new screen lockers), the new Network Manager applet showing all connections in one pane instead of separating them into tabs, making a MESS of things, and multiple apps not yet ported from 4. I jumped onto KDE4 from 3.x early on and was disappointed, but by 4.12 it was nice and I loved it. I suppose KDE has a lag period where it acts like a beta until it matures. I am sure 5 will be good one day, but not yet. At least get the notifier working and get rid of that stupid Baloo crap. It should be optional!

Oh, one other bug I just thought of. When i am copying or moving a bunch of directories/files in Dolphin, sometimes the status notifier lags WAY behind. Then I get like 12~14 notifications. I open it and click the arrow to expand them to see what they're doing, and there is no text, only a blue bar going across. I now have to close them all. The files and such ARE moved, and it happens almost instantly, but the notifier lags and puts up blank transfer notifications which never do anything. Seems like a bug to me, and I can reproduce it every time just by moving stuff around.

As for the good things about KDE5, it feels responsive and fast, and I like the new "traditional" menu, especially the favorites. The one introduced in 4 is still a clunky mess. Though I have had an issue on TWO systems where the shutdown and restart icons disappeared from the favorites on the menu, leaving only logout. I added them back easily, but favorites should not just disappear.

I may try exporting my wallets and reimporting them later, but not now. This brings up another problem I have with 5. In 4 I had two wallets, one for network passwords, one for local. I did not get the option to do that in 5. I am sure I can, but am not sure how. I am assuming I just manually create the wallets and it will somehow know which one to open when. Of course, I will be importing two wallets, so maybe it will make two that way.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the beta comment, I stand by it.

Good for you.

You don't want to listen to people who don't understand the meaning of the term "production-ready", and think it means whatever set of bugs they aren't affected by.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why so few people use "recoll" instead pf baloo.
Of course kde will not be aware of it's existence and thus not use it in
combination with other kde programs but it's faster and works like a charm.
It only runs upgrades of data when you tell it to.

I have a separate fresh install of kde5 thus w/o kde4 configs to make trouble.
This way I can keep track of it's progress and do my normal computing on kde4
Maybe in a year or so it'll be usable enough to switch.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
You don't want to listen to people who don't understand the meaning of the term "production-ready", and think it means whatever set of bugs they aren't affected by.

Given the mastery of reading, you must be well aware that I was responding to a specific 'bug', unaware that the user was going to follow up with several paragraphs of his real grudge against the Plasma-5 upgrade.

And no, using activities for different wallpapers is no sign of it being beta, same for lack of screensavers. They were axed for good.

@The_Great_Sephiroth: That's fine, we all need to vent from time to time, and your other points are valid. I'd appreciate though when you'd mark your postings as such so that I know I don't have to spend my time on giving advice how to solve your problem, as I did with your first and foremost kwallet issue.

PS: You would be the very first user to miss the 'Search' KCM in systemsettings. Sure you don't have it?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: