Unable to automatically boot via grub
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokiwinter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Unable to automatically boot via grub Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to Gentoo and GRUB2, but generally a very experienced Linux administrator - just a bit stumped with an issue I'm having. I've built two Gentoo machines, one with OpenRC and standard partitions (kurns), the other with LVM and systemd (snrub).

I completed the installation, and ran grub2-install /dev/sda and grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg on both. I also updated /etc/default/grub on snrub with the following:

Code:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="dolvm init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd"

before running the grub2-mkconfig. If I check /boot/grub/grub.cfg on snrub it all appears fine. If I reboot them ... kurns boots fine. Snrub just sits at the grub prompt. If I manually enter

Code:

set root=(hd0,1)
linux /path/to/vmlinuz root=/dev/vg_sys/lv_root dolvm init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
initrd /path/to/initramfs
boot

the box comes up fine. Or, if I type

Code:

configfile (hd0,1)/grub/grub.conf

I can boot from the menu. I've created the menu.lst symlink. Any ideas why it's seemingly not reading grub.conf automatically? Of course, happy to provide whatever configs/command output you guys need.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers,
Toki
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Gentoo if I am right, using Grub2 mean that grub2-install and grub2-mkconfig are working in the /boot/grub2 directory and not /boot/grub as with Grub1. So, if you do
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

than the Bios Grub2 boot loader in the Mbr should see it's configuration file at the right place /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.

I think things are tricky like this. The configuration file path may be /boot/grub2/grub2.cfg instead. I am not sure exactly. You problem may be just to give the right path and the right configuration file name to grub2-mkconfig. Check what you have as sub-directories in the /boot directory after you do grub2-install.

And other tricky thing you have to deal with is when you have a boot partition. It must be mounted before you do grub2-install and grub2-mkconfig and you must configure Grub2 to look in this partition for everything and not in the boot directory of the root partition.

It is the reason why I don't like a boot partition. You need to be more cautious for things to work with few benifits in Bios mode.
tokiwinter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
than the Bios Grub2 boot loader in the Mbr should see it's configuration file at the right place /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.

I don't think that's it - on a working system my grub.cfg is in /boot/grub:

Code:

kurns ~ # ls -l /boot
total 39076
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root     4096 May  4 20:43 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 32052336 May  4 20:41 initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-4.4.6-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4938528 May  4 20:15 kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.4.6-gentoo
drwx------ 2 root root    16384 May  4 02:22 lost+found
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2995312 May  4 20:15 System.map-genkernel-x86_64-4.4.6-gentoo
kurns ~ # ls -l /boot/grub/
total 36
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 May  4 04:11 fonts
-rw------- 1 root root  5405 May  4 20:43 grub.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1024 May  4 04:11 grubenv
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 12288 May  4 20:42 i386-pc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 May  4 20:42 locale
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 May  4 04:11 themes
Syl20
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to automatically boot via grub Reply with quote

tokiwinter wrote:
and ran grub2-install /dev/sda and grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg on both.

(snip)

Or, if I type

Code:

configfile (hd0,1)/grub/grub.conf

I can boot from the menu.

As you mention both grub.cfg and grub.conf, maybe the error is there ?
By default, Grub 2 uses /boot/grub/grub.cfg as its config file.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: