My hdd is hidden after install gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacman94
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: My hdd is hidden after install gentoo Reply with quote

Hi everyone, i have install gentoo in my laptop using genkernel for compile the kernel, after install grub and when i reboot my bios not load hdd, when i enter to bios configuration, bios not show the hdd. I have used a live archlinux usb for install gentoo, its very strange because i can enter to gentoo system with chroot in live session. I try detect errors disk with badblocks but the hdd is fine.

So, when i enter to gentoo system with chroot, to type "ls" show: "ls command not found", i type "PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin...." and then i can use ls and other commands, but this PATH not saved, if i reboot and enter to chroot gentoo system again PATH is empty, What happend?

Help please, thanks.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What make and model is your laptop?
Does it have other operating systems installed? (windows,apple OS, another linux)
Does it have secure boot or trusted platform module operational.
Are the disks GPT or DOS label?
Boot the arch live usb and run "parted -l | wgetpaste" or "fdisk -l | wgetpaste"

Check everything but especially the red items when entering chroot
Quote:

root #mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
root #mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
root #mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/sys
root #mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
root #mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/dev
Note
The --make-rslave operations are needed for systemd support later in the installation.
Warning
When using non-Gentoo installation media, this might not be sufficient. Some distributions make /dev/shm a symbolic link to /run/shm/ which, after the chroot, becomes invalid. Making /dev/shm/ a proper tmpfs mount up front can fix this:
root #rm /dev/shm && mkdir /dev/shm
root #mount -t tmpfs -o nosuid,nodev,noexec shm /dev/shm
Also ensure that mode 1777 is set
root # chmod 1777 /dev/shm

Entering the new environment
Now that all partitions are initialized and the base environment installed, it is time to enter the new installation environment by chrooting into it. This means that the session will change its root (most top-level location that can be accessed) from the current installation environment (installation CD or other installation medium) to the installation system (namely the initialized partitions). Hence the name, change root or chroot.

This chrooting is done in three steps:

The root location is changed from / (on the installation medium) to /mnt/gentoo/ (on the partitions) using chroot
Some settings (those in /etc/profile) are reloaded in memory using the source command
The primary prompt is changed to help us remember that this session is inside a chroot environment.
root #chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
root #source /etc/profile
root #export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
If you still have to enter PATH= , ensure you have a profile set "eselect profile list" if no list or a list with no asterisk ....
pacman94
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
What make and model is your laptop?
Does it have other operating systems installed? (windows,apple OS, another linux)
Does it have secure boot or trusted platform module operational.
Are the disks GPT or DOS label?
Boot the arch live usb and run "parted -l | wgetpaste" or "fdisk -l | wgetpaste"

Check everything but especially the red items when entering chroot
Quote:

root #mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
root #mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
root #mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/sys
root #mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
root #mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/dev
Note
The --make-rslave operations are needed for systemd support later in the installation.
Warning
When using non-Gentoo installation media, this might not be sufficient. Some distributions make /dev/shm a symbolic link to /run/shm/ which, after the chroot, becomes invalid. Making /dev/shm/ a proper tmpfs mount up front can fix this:
root #rm /dev/shm && mkdir /dev/shm
root #mount -t tmpfs -o nosuid,nodev,noexec shm /dev/shm
Also ensure that mode 1777 is set
root # chmod 1777 /dev/shm

Entering the new environment
Now that all partitions are initialized and the base environment installed, it is time to enter the new installation environment by chrooting into it. This means that the session will change its root (most top-level location that can be accessed) from the current installation environment (installation CD or other installation medium) to the installation system (namely the initialized partitions). Hence the name, change root or chroot.

This chrooting is done in three steps:

The root location is changed from / (on the installation medium) to /mnt/gentoo/ (on the partitions) using chroot
Some settings (those in /etc/profile) are reloaded in memory using the source command
The primary prompt is changed to help us remember that this session is inside a chroot environment.
root #chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
root #source /etc/profile
root #export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
If you still have to enter PATH= , ensure you have a profile set "eselect profile list" if no list or a list with no asterisk ....

The laptop is a "asus x551m" with 500 gb hdd, i haven't other OS in the laptop and secure boot is disabled, the hdd label is GPT, i used cfdisk to parititioning.

I have used the command source and PATH work fine now, thanks, but gentoo not boot.

EDIT: When i try "rm /dev/shm && mkdir /dev/shm" i get: "SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry, zsh: input/output error: rm"
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I should have included a request that you post the url's returned. Request you repeat as "parted -l | wgetpaste -t" or "fdisk -l | wgetpaste -t" and then mount the gentoo partitions and run "wgetpaste -t /boot/grub/grub.cfg" and post all 3 url's returned.

From what you said earlier if you enter BIOS and go to Boot Screen and select Boot Option #1.you can not find a choice for the hard drive.
What is selected for
Fast Boot
Launch CSM
Boot Option #1
what choices are available for Boot Option #1.if any
Driver Option Priorities
Boot Option Priorities

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html discusses strange BIOS's that need a boot flag set in order to recognize a bootable drive.

When you attempt to reboot, what exactly appears on the screen?

Quote:
When i try "rm /dev/shm && mkdir /dev/shm" i get: "SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry, zsh: input/output error: rm"
is harmless error. Tells us that arch live usb does not make /dev/shm a symbolic link to /run/shm/ so the steps to compensate for that do not need to be run.
pacman94
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
Quote:
I should have included a request that you post the url's returned. Request you repeat as "parted -l | wgetpaste -t" or "fdisk -l | wgetpaste -t" and then mount the gentoo partitions and run "wgetpaste -t /boot/grub/grub.cfg" and post all 3 url's returned.

From what you said earlier if you enter BIOS and go to Boot Screen and select Boot Option #1.you can not find a choice for the hard drive.
What is selected for
Fast Boot
Launch CSM
Boot Option #1
what choices are available for Boot Option #1.if any
Driver Option Priorities
Boot Option Priorities

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html discusses strange BIOS's that need a boot flag set in order to recognize a bootable drive.

When you attempt to reboot, what exactly appears on the screen?

Quote:
When i try "rm /dev/shm && mkdir /dev/shm" i get: "SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry, zsh: input/output error: rm"
is harmless error. Tells us that arch live usb does not make /dev/shm a symbolic link to /run/shm/ so the steps to compensate for that do not need to be run.

Thanks for help, it was a hdd boot priority, i feel stupid now XD

Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: